Enamel: hard, soft or none?

Moun10eer

It would depend entirely on the art. We match the paint type or no paint, to the art we create. Some designs look better with one over the other, some look better if you leave most of it unpainted. I can't imagine the Scotland Geocoin painted...

Yes, it depends entierly on your design and what you want the finished product to look like. When my coin was being designed I had some definate ideas as to what I wanted the coin to look (and feel) like and tho I didn't know the correct termanology (sp) I was able to describe what I wanted and use some already-produced coins as examples of what I wanted and what I didn't want and got I exactly what I wanted.

CF30

I personally do not like any paint on my coin designs...."let me feel the metal" as PDXMarathonMan often says. I do agree with that....the whole point of minting a "coin" is to do it so that the "coin" is "3D art".......I want to experience the "art" in the coin through the "feel" of it.

This is also very true Go JayBee. We like to 'feel' our coin's art and the first thing we do when we get new coins is get into the pouch and feel the coin. Too many painted areas can ruin a great design. We use epoxy over glitter but that's the only time, otherwise we feel it's totally unncessary and we'd rather re-design than cover everything with epoxy! Then again, that's just us <_<

I personally do not like any paint on my coin designs...."let me feel the metal" as PDXMarathonMan often says. I do agree with that....the whole point of minting a "coin" is to do it so that the "coin" is "3D art".......I want to experience the "art" in the coin through the "feel" of it.

I agree with JayBee. Some of the best coins I own are paintless (Shadow coins to name one).

But I do have to say that the Dressel Dragon coins do look Great with the red glitter border.

Bottom line, it's your coin, make it how 'you' want it and not what others want. People will buy and/or trade for it if you make it. Just make it reflect you.

imho some of the most 'disapointing' coins are the "cheaply made" ones whether all metal or enameled.

KS wader made 2005 and 2006 wizard of OZ coins - but the 2006 is wispy thin and the enamel looks like kids airfix paint and so they are not really a 'pair' a real shame.

Watch your base metal - you will get what you pay for.

Do you prefer hard or soft enamel and why? Or do you prefer no enamel at all?

coins with color:

I cannot think of one coin that would not look better IMO if it had hard enamel (synthetic hard enamel) instead of soft enamel.

why? I just think hard enamel looks better. its nice to have a completely smooth coin.

no color:

They usually looks fine as is. although a splash of color might not hurt some.

Edited by Nero

Do you prefer hard or soft enamel and why? Or do you prefer no enamel at all?

coins with color:

I cannot think of one coin that would not look better IMO if it had hard enamel (synthetic hard enamel) instead of soft enamel.

why? I just think hard enamel looks better. its nice to have a completely smooth coin.

no color:

They usually looks fine as is. although a splash of color might not hurt some.

We would have to agree with Nero we also like the feel of a nice smooth coin.

As for coins with no color, we like them also,as long as they have a good design. Some non color coins, even some of the 3D coins, could benefit (in our opinion) by having at least some color.