Changing Cache GC numbers to Cache names

wingryder

I download 500 plus caches at a time and after converting the gpx file from pq, I merge these html files on my laptop using mapsource topo maps.

It all works sweet with one drawback. When I hover the mouse over the geocache on the map it gives me the GC number which I think is pretty much useless. If the name was there instead I could quickly decide why I have not gone after that cache before. (my pocket query only gives me caches I have not found)

How can I change the GC number to the real cache name or an appreviated name??

wingryder

Edited by wingryder

I use GSAK the Geocaching Swiss Army Knife to work with my PQs. GSAK is a sweet program to manage your waypoints. It opens your PQ Zip file directly.

With GSAK open, go to File/Load GPS/LOC, and point to your PQ.zip (it opens a .zip file) file to open. Then, File/Export/MapSource File. Set up the preferences you want and it will save your file and open MapSource for you to load the waypoints, or view and edit them. It will also export the waypoints a .gpx file, as well as many other file types. You'll love it.

Edited by Timpat

When you say "edit" them.. I hope you don't mean one at a time. The only thing I do with caches one at a time is find them. My pocket querys are always maxed out.

As far as gsak goes.. I tried that a few years back and found it did way more than I need. I don't really manipulate my waypoints. I download 500 at a time" not found.". ignore the ones I dont want to look for.. and a couple of weeks later do the same thing again.. picking up all the new ones. (I also change my center for the 500 depending on time of year. )

But if that is the answer to changing those names to something sensible I will look at it again.

PS I think this can be done with spinner. I have used that program a little when it was on the website but I don't follow the instructions very well in the version you download.

thanks to both of you for your suggestions.

wingryder

Edited by wingryder

wingryder, The name of the caches are in the PQs. You dont have to do anything but look at them. You need something to show you the names:

Use the menu on the left side of the GC.com page and click "resources" - On the page is a link to software. Here find a number of programs (two are FREE), ClayJar Watcher and EasyGPS. Both, like GSAK, will display your PQs with the GC number AND the cache NAME!

Have fun.

"I use GSAK the Geocaching Swiss Army Knife to work with my PQs. GSAK is a sweet program to manage your waypoints. It opens your PQ Zip file directly."

"As far as gsak goes.. I tried that a few years back and found it did way more than I need. I don't really manipulate my waypoints."

I use GSAK too. I don't use all it's potential, but it's EASY and when I transfer the info to my Mapsource, the cache names are there.

wingryder, The name of the caches are in the PQs. You dont have to do anything but look at them. You need something to show you the names:

Use the menu on the left side of the GC.com page and click "resources" - On the page is a link to software. Here find a number of programs (two are FREE), ClayJar Watcher and EasyGPS. Both, like GSAK, will display your PQs with the GC number AND the cache NAME!

Have fun.

Please remember... I have the waypoints on my mapsouce topo map (500 of them) All I want to do is see the waypoint name when I click on a cache not the gc number. Going out of mapsource and back to easy gps is too cumbersome.

wingryder

GSAK has the GPSBabel code built into it, and also allows you to create your own cache names using various attributes. Such as difficulty or container size etc. And of course it has capabilty of using the cache name itself instead of the GC # I use GSAK to load my GPS, I use the GC # but also send the name where it is shown in the waypoint description on my Garmin 76 and my new 76Cx

I barely touch the surface of GSAKs features, but still find it the easiest and best way to load my GPS, and feel it was worth the price (which is optional)

GSAK converts the caches automatically to Smart Names of 10 digit waypoints. For example if the original cache name was Shake and Bake, the waypoint would become shakeandba in Mapsource, NG Topo, Mapsend, gpx or any of the other final program files created by GSAK. Or you can load you GPS directly with these Smart NAmes. No more GCabcd names!

It does all 500 at the same time or as many caches you selected in GSAK.

Edited by Alan2