What Bluetooth GPS for Geocaching - Walking!

Gralorn

Have had some advice from the Geo Chat Room, but seek a broader opinion. I wish to purchase a 'Bluetooth GPS Receiver' I am down to a choice of two: Global Sat BT-338 and a Holux GP Slim GR-236. Review on BT-338 states that geocachers get frustrated as under 4mph the signal jumps all over the place unless 'StaticNavigation' can be immobilised. There is only a difference of £5 between the two so in a dilemma, which to get to use with my PDA and Lap Top. The review on the Holux did not mention walking with it at all, so not sure if the same problem would exist. Advice would be most appreciated. I use Memory Map on my PDA as I have not yet acquired any Tom Tom software. That comes next. :ph34r::tired:

What PDA do you have?

I have the IPAQ 5450 and the Bt338 GPS, no problems with the jumping of co-ords as you can re-configure to work around that. However, the Bluetooth implementation on PC2003 is not very good in my experience on the IPAQ - very easy for it to drop the connection and hang the bluetooth software (requiring a soft reset) if you are switching apps or navigating menus.

J

Have had some advice from the Geo Chat Room, but seek a broader opinion. I wish to purchase a 'Bluetooth GPS Receiver' I am down to a choice of two: Global Sat BT-338 and a Holux GP Slim GR-236. Review on BT-338 states that geocachers get frustrated as under 4mph the signal jumps all over the place unless 'StaticNavigation' can be immobilised. There is only a difference of £5 between the two so in a dilemma, which to get to use with my PDA and Lap Top. The review on the Holux did not mention walking with it at all, so not sure if the same problem would exist. Advice would be most appreciated. I use Memory Map on my PDA as I have not yet acquired any Tom Tom software. That comes next. :tired::ph34r:

I just did a bunch of research on this. My first conclusion was to get something with a Sirf III chipset, as they seem to be the current best.. This is to go with a Fujitsu Loox 720 PDA that I got off Ebay - the nice feature that has, is the 640 by 480 screen, a lot better than the 320 by 240 that's the standard.

My choice came down to the Holux 240 or the Haicom HI-406BT. I went for the Haicom because it has an external antenna socket, and that's something I want to experiment with, especially in difficult conditions. If it works, you'll be able to recognise me by the antenna I'll wear on my hat. £70 at the usual places.

To get a receiver under £50, I suggest you check out Ebay.

Cannot see one for £50 notes or less, but from UK source, next day delivery if ordered before 1500hrs, VAT included Global Sat BT-338 = £69, Holux GP Slim GR-236 =£65. I personally have an IPAQ HP 1950. I have a feeling that I'll be going for the Holux Slim unless anyone tells me that's a bad choice. Anyone know where the software for TomTom can be obtained cheapest, have looked at e-bay. I'll ask Santa for a hat also in case I get the additional antenna!!! :(:D

Another satisfied Sat BT-338, this time with a Dell Axim X50V. Agree that the Static Navigation is off by default.

Great battery life, small, stong signal all the time. Run it through GPS gate and can have Memory Map, TomTom and Beeline all on the go at the same time, though occasionally MM and TT have a fight which causes a soft reset.

Don't know about the Holux, but you won't go wrong with the BT 388 I'm sure.

Cannot see one for £50 notes or less, but from UK source, next day delivery if ordered before 1500hrs, VAT included Global Sat BT-338 = £69, Holux GP Slim GR-236 =£65. I personally have an IPAQ HP 1950. I have a feeling that I'll be going for the Holux Slim unless anyone tells me that's a bad choice. Anyone know where the software for TomTom can be obtained cheapest, have looked at e-bay. I'll ask Santa for a hat also in case I get the additional antenna!!! :(:D

This is the cheapest i have found Tom Tom for pda

http://www.globalpositioningsystems.co.uk/...escription.html

Ok, Ok, It's the Global Sat BT-338 that I will go for not the Holux. May I say thank you to you all for your advice, also on the TomTom, although I did not realise that it would also be around £60. I'm only after the UK not Europe as well. So thanks again. :(:D Off to order a BT-338!