newbee help,

dano48

I'm new to the game and would like some feedback about the garmin etrex vista. I've been reading in the forums, and have yet to find any info about that unit.

could use some input.. I will mostly use the unit for hiking & geocaching & maping. Is there a better way to go? I read that the color units eat up batteries, is this true? thanks!!!

I have the Vista Cx (c is for color and x is for expandable). I love mine! It is well worth the money. As for hiking and mapping, the maps that it comes with are poor. Garmin does sell Topo maps as well as maps of the streets for all cities. Most of the maps are fairly up to date if you get the latest versions.

For geocaching, you really don't need the maps but they ARE nice.

Two features that I don't use are the barometer and the altimeter.....although some people like these bells and whistles.

TeamTettamanti

Edited by TeamTettamanti

I also have the Vista Cx & also love mine too!!

There are plenty of aftermarket maps available for alot cheaper than garmin mapsource if you dont want to commit to that kind of cost!

Two features that I DO use are the barometer and the altimeter. I use the altimiter constantly because I like to know the height at which the cache is placed, my current height on the planet etc.

I use the barometer as it shows the latest weather trends and you can see if you are going to get wet whilst out caching etc.

First upgrade was to install Tracks4Australia Pro map set ($50), along with a 1GB sandisk micro SD card ($56'ish? from memory)

I also purchased the bike handlebar mount (for my Motorbike), the deluxe carry case, well worth it when hiking etc, has belt clip and screen protector.

Next purchase will be the generic car/boat mount for easier use when we go fishing.

I always use the unit with the neck cord attached, and always keep it tied off to the boat, my neck, the bike handlebars etc etc so that in the event of "something" happening (like an accident etc) it should stay close by!

I did have only 1 small problem, the black rubber surround that has the map zooom keys, (light, power, and cancel button also) had hte gle go off and it became really soft and tacky.

I contacted Garmin Australia's agent (GME) and they repaired it under warranty in a little under 2 weeks!

Otherwise, enjoy, its a bloody top unit!

Regards,

Donald, of Donald, Daisy + kids

I have the Garmin Venture Cx and love it. It is color and does mapping. I just got back from Big Bend. I used it to store tracks of my hikes which I have downloaded to my computer now. I use it for geocaching all the time. I bought the maps for national parks & forests which work well for both my vacation that I just took and geocaching in the forests at home. I don't know how battery life compares to others since this is the only one I've had but it seems quite good to me. I find the color screen easier to read (although others have said the opposite so that's an individual preference). I have no complaints about battery life or anything else with this unit. :blink:

One comment on mapping: I find the topo map useful for caching. It lets me know if there is a stream or other terrain challenge in my path and I can plan for that better (getting around it). It's not absolutely necessary for caching but it is very helpful if you have it.

:unsure:

Edited by jackrock

I'm assuming that you mean the eTrex Vista CX and not the old B/W Vista. If that's the case, its a great unit, but for your purposes there are alternatives you might want to check out. All of the eTrex units are great for hiking and backpacking because of their small size and light weight, but the usefulness of the Vista's magnetic compass is debatable. Some people love them, others find magnetic compasses to be a waste of money when a $10 handheld with do a better job. There is also a need to calibrate them every time you change batteries which some people find to be a pain in the arse.

With that in mind, you might want to check out the eTrex Venture CX. The compass in the CX relies on sattelite reception to determine direction rather than magnetics. THe down side is that you have to be moving for it to work, but as I mentioned earlier a $10 handheld will work fine for when you're standing still. The Venture also comes without the memory card. Many people replace the card in their Vista and Legend CX units with a more capacious one anyway, so there is no point in paying for one that is going to sit in your desk drawer.

Since you want to use your unit for mapping (I assume you mean creating trail maps, etc...) you might also want to consider something like a Garmin Map 60CX. It has outstanding reception (the eTrex CX units have very good reception, but nowhere close to the 60CX) and also has a jack for an external antenna so you will have unbroken tracks due to loss of recption. The 60 units are larger and heavier than the eTrex units but your options for carrying them are more varied. The eTrex units need to be held flat, face up to the sky for best reception. The 60 units should be held vertically for best reception. This means you can clip the 60 to your belt or anywhere on your pack and still keep it in optimum position. Your options for the eTrex are pretty much limited to the top of your shoulder strap.

And no, the Garmin color units don't eat up batteries. They actually have much better battery life than their older B/W brothers. What does eat up batteries are the electronic compass and barometric altimeter in the Vista CX, 60CSX and 76CSX, which is another reason some people prefer the Legend CX, Venture CX, 60CX and 76CX.

Donald, Daisy and Kids mentioned aftermarket maps. Generally you can use only Garmin Mapsource maps on Garmin units. There is a way to "hack" the units and add non Garmin maps, but it takes an advanced level of computer know how and there are no guarantees they will work properly. It may also void your warranty if you do it.

Edited by briansnat

I've used the reliable B & W Vista since '01, held together with some Duct Tape, but it still works. Have done a lot of trail mapping for the USFS who in turn gives the Data to Nat Geo for their Trails Illustrated Maps. I only use the base map that comes with the unit, prefer to use a TOPO program like Nat Geo's and make paper maps.

When I get a new GPS I would like the 60 CSX but cost wise I'll stay with the Vista B & W. It's taken a beating and still works fine.

And no, the Garmin color units don't eat up batteries. They actually have much better battery life than their older B/W brothers. What does eat up batteries are the electronic compass and barometric altimeter in the Vista CX, 60CSX and 76CSX, which is another reason some people prefer the Legend CX, Venture CX, 60CX and 76CX.

You're right about the compass increasing power consumption, but Garmin provides a 1-button toggle switch, so it's trivial to turn it on when you need it, then turn it off. But the barometric altimeter makes little real difference in battery life. It's basically a passive device that the unit periodically takes a reading from, and stores in memory. If it were a power drain, some method of turning it off would have been provided. And note that the 60CSx (with altimeter) and the 60Cx (without altimeter) have the same specs for max battery life - 18 hours.

(I have a Suunto watch that also has an always-on altimeter, and it runs about 2 years on a single button battery.)

Donald, Daisy and Kids mentioned aftermarket maps. Generally you can use only Garmin Mapsource maps on Garmin units. There is a way to "hack" the units and add non Garmin maps, but it takes an advanced level of computer know how and there are no guarantees they will work properly. It may also void your warranty if you do it.

Briansnat, By adding maps I meant for example, I use the Tracks for australia Pro maps, they include alot more than the inbuilt base map, they show forrests, things like radio/Tv transmission towers, and loads more map detail such as updated road lines etc.

They might just be on overlay, but my belief was that they are actually a map in themself.

(from their google group description)

Tracks4Australia is a group for those who use Garmin GPS in Australia.

Tracks4Australia provides an alternative map set that can be used both with Mapsource on a PC or uploaded to a map capable Garmin GPS unit.

The aim is to provide a high quality map set for all of Australia with a focus on non metropolitan areas. The set will NOT be adequate for marine or aeronautical navgation.

The Vista CX has been an extremely good unit overall, I have even used it for jobs (soil testing) so that we get the holes drilled in the right spot!

Briansnat, By adding maps I meant for example, I use the Tracks for australia Pro maps, they include alot more than the inbuilt base map, they show forrests, things like radio/Tv transmission towers, and loads more map detail such as updated road lines etc.

They might just be on overlay, but my belief was that they are actually a map in themself.

(from their google group description)

Tracks4Australia is a group for those who use Garmin GPS in Australia.

Tracks4Australia provides an alternative map set that can be used both with Mapsource on a PC or uploaded to a map capable Garmin GPS unit.

Looking at their website, it appears to be a collection of tracks and waypoints from Garmin GPS users that are used to provide additional detail to base maps and Mapsource maps. It looks like a really neat project but it is an overlay rather than an actual map.

I'm assuming that you mean the eTrex Vista CX and not the old B/W Vista. If that's the case, its a great unit, but for your purposes there are alternatives you might want to check out. All of the eTrex units are great for hiking and backpacking because of their small size and light weight, but the usefulness of the Vista's magnetic compass is debatable. Some people love them, others find magnetic compasses to be a waste of money when a $10 handheld with do a better job. There is also a need to calibrate them every time you change batteries which some people find to be a pain in the arse.

With that in mind, you might want to check out the eTrex Venture CX. The compass in the CX relies on sattelite reception to determine direction rather than magnetics. THe down side is that you have to be moving for it to work, but as I mentioned earlier a $10 handheld will work fine for when you're standing still. The Venture also comes without the memory card. Many people replace the card in their Vista and Legend CX units with a more capacious one anyway, so there is no point in paying for one that is going to sit in your desk drawer.

Since you want to use your unit for mapping (I assume you mean creating trail maps, etc...) you might also want to consider something like a Garmin Map 60CX. It has outstanding reception (the eTrex CX units have very good reception, but nowhere close to the 60CX) and also has a jack for an external antenna so you will have unbroken tracks due to loss of recption. The 60 units are larger and heavier than the eTrex units but your options for carrying them are more varied. The eTrex units need to be held flat, face up to the sky for best reception. The 60 units should be held vertically for best reception. This means you can clip the 60 to your belt or anywhere on your pack and still keep it in optimum position. Your options for the eTrex are pretty much limited to the top of your shoulder strap.