Logging a cache that I helped set

The Goons

Hi

I helped set a cache (I carried it half way up the mountain) just after getting involved with Geocaching.

The Cache, Tutankhamen was here (GCR4QJ) is located on the top of Walsh's Pyramid in North Queensland.

Is it possible for me to log this as a find even though I didn't fill in the cache log at the time.

I would dearly like to log this one, but if I can avoid the three to three and a half hour climb up nd back I would be very happy.

Jim

Hi

I helped set a cache (I carried it half way up the mountain) just after getting involved with Geocaching.

The Cache, Tutankhamen was here (GCR4QJ) is located on the top of Walsh's Pyramid in North Queensland.

Is it possible for me to log this as a find even though I didn't fill in the cache log at the time.

I would dearly like to log this one, but if I can avoid the three to three and a half hour climb up and back I would be very happy.

Jim

do what you want.

I'd probably go back later to sign before logging, but I also don't care about signing the log as much as many people. Course, I probably wouldn't sign the log for one that I set up.

It's all about how you want to play. If it feels right to you, do it. I don't see how it hurts anyone else here.

Hi

I would dearly like to log this one, but if I can avoid the three to three and a half hour climb up and back I would be very happy.

Jim

It would be pointless to come back another day and pretend that you don't know where the cache is. So out here we sign the cache log these as "beta testers." Then we wait do the online log after the FTF has logged. So try that next time! It's just one cache.... :P

Edited by TrailGators

You can log it. I personally wouldn't, even if I visited again. I don't see the point of logging caches that I was involved with placing.

Much of the adventure in geocaching is determining the approach, or route to a cache and surmounting the obstacles along the way. If you were involved with placing the cache, you in effect had that part of the hunt fed to you, even if you don't know the exact hiding place. If you do know the hiding place it's even more pointless. How can you "find" something if you already know where it is.

You can log it. I personally wouldn't, even if I visited again. I don't see the point of logging caches that I was involved with placing.

Much of the adventure in geocaching is determining the approach, or route to a cache and surmounting the obstacles along the way. If you were involved with placing the cache, you in effect had that part of the hunt fed to you, even if you don't know the exact hiding place. If you do know the hiding place it's even more pointless. How can you "find" something if you already know where it is.

I agree with briansnat

I'm in the A. As long as you weren't FTF and B. You've signed the log, club.

It's just a lower difficultly cache. (Maybe a half star.)

I’ve walked to a site and saw the cache container sitting out in the open.

Not much of an effort eh? But even though I didn’t exactly ‘find’ it, I was still there and I signed the logbook so I claimed it as a find.

I did this once. I helped set up a night cache, then several months later came back and did it with a new cacher. I signed the log and logged it as a find. By then a dozen or so others had found it. I definately wouldn't log it as a FTF and in this case I let the other person do the discovering.

To me numbers don't mean much so I did to more to get it off my list so to speak than add a number to the board.

Joe

A lot of the folks in my area like to hike together, and often someone is placing a cache or two along the way. The custom is for the others to log the cache but not claim FTF. I can't really disagree with Briansnat, but for some people the main purpose is just to get out and see the area where the cache is hidden. So you've done that. The fact that you didn't sign the log on this one is a minor snag and if it were my cache I'd have no problem with you claiming the find online.

I say that logging a cache you helped place is fine!

As long as:

1) You didn't sign the log before it was listed. (Not a cache until it was listed, right?)

2) You do actually sign the log. (self-explanatory, yet some cachers have a hard time grasping the concept)

Others will say they don't give a fig, but you know in your heart what is right and what is not.

I only wish I lived a bit closer so I could join you!

Thanks to all for the replies, much appreciate the advice.

I agree with the general feeling of the answers and won't log the find for ethical reasons. I enjoyed the climb in any case.

:cry:

I would have gone back, signed the log, and possibly dropped off a TB as a proof that I was there again. In any case, full disclosure of your actions to avoid confusion is courteous and much appreciated. :cry:

Immanuel Kant:"

Act only according to that maxim by which you can at the same time will that it would become a universal law.

Or in my words: Just do it, you don't do any harm to anyone. It's just a hobby and it doesn't matter at all, if you have 5, 120 or 3453 finds, as long as you enjoy it.

By helping hiding a cache in a nice location you contributed more to GC than some of the folks who have a gazillion finds, but just spread lame micros which are never maintained.

GermanSailor