Idea for a Multi-cache

GlobeGeorge

Recently, I thought of something cool for a multi-cache. Like a normal multi, the co-ords would point to a micro or other small object that had the real coordinates written on it. My "safecracker" cache would follow the same principle, except that the final cache is locked! In order to open the cache and log your find, you'll need the combination, which could either be written directly on the waypoint micro, or, to be even sneakier, hidden in the waypoint coordinates, perhaps by writing the numbers in the combination in a different color from the rest of the co-ords, but not telling people why they are written this way, only that they had better make note of it. Has anyone implemented similar ideas with locks?

If you do a search on "lock" for titles only you will find several subjects on locking ammo cans.

I current have one cache with a lock on it that is kindof like what you describe (it's a puzzle, but you have to find 2 other micros, one of which gives you the combination), but I used to have another series where you had to find the "3 pigs" each of which gave you a piece of the combination to the final "big bad wolf" cache, but I had to archive it since someone huffed and puffed and blew down a bunch of trees, crushing the big bad wolf to death. Or at least burying him alive, since I can't find it anymore.

I've done afew lock caches, one I particularly liked because you couldn't see it was a cache, or that there was a lock, initially. both were well camoflauged, and were not just a locked ammo box in the woods. One was almost an urban cache.

Not sure how I would feel about just a locked ammo can in the woods though, in those cases it could lead to more frequent dissapearance as I've heard mentioned in other threads... kids would be more interested in taking a locked box, than one they could open and see what it really is.

Recently, I thought of something cool for a multi-cache. Like a normal multi, the co-ords would point to a micro or other small object that had the real coordinates written on it. My "safecracker" cache would follow the same principle, except that the final cache is locked! In order to open the cache and log your find, you'll need the combination, which could either be written directly on the waypoint micro, or, to be even sneakier, hidden in the waypoint coordinates, perhaps by writing the numbers in the combination in a different color from the rest of the co-ords, but not telling people why they are written this way, only that they had better make note of it. Has anyone implemented similar ideas with locks?

You might consider including one digit of the combination at each of the intermediate waypoints. I don't think embedding them in the coords using different colors is a good idea because so many people use pocket queries on monochrome PDAs or print the cache pages only in black & white without even reading them online first , and color blind people might not be able to discern the difference if viewing the web page on their computers.

I recently hid a locked ammo can in the woods of a park near my house. I do not provide the cacher with the combination in any way. Instead, I provide instructions of how to crack any Masterlock combination lock. You can find these instructions all over the Internet by searching Google. I experimented myself on a few different locks to make sure it would work, and it did, so I placed the cache.

It's awaiting reviewal, but for future reference it is GCZCN8.

I'm not sure how well it will go over with the caching community. As with most hide types that are new to an area, some will probably like it and others will hate it.

And yes, it is paramount to make sure that your locked ammo can will not be stumbled upon by a non-cacher.

Small ammo cans (.30 cal) can be locked without any modification to the can. Larger ones (.50 cal) can be locked by simply drilling an additional hole in the clasp part, which does not compromise its waterproof nature.

I recently hid a locked ammo can in the woods of a park near my house. I do not provide the cacher with the combination in any way. Instead, I provide instructions of how to crack any Masterlock combination lock. You can find these instructions all over the Internet by searching Google. I experimented myself on a few different locks to make sure it would work, and it did, so I placed the cache.

It's awaiting reviewal, but for future reference it is GCZCN8. ...

Years ago, I considered placing a cache just like this. I never got around to it, partly because I'm lazy and partly because I thought that it would be a maintenance nightmare.

I had one locked cache. THere were several ways to get the combo. The first would be to hike about 4 miles and find 4 micros scattered around the park. The second would be to find a travel bug that was moving about the county with the combo on it. The final was to find a clue in one of my other area caches.

Here is how I locked my ammo box using an eye bolt, 2 metal washers, 2 rubber washers and two hex nuts.

5c89f66f-b3bd-463f-ad5e-5eb587eabb8e.jpg

5de8a3cf-1927-4c1f-af9a-47cd1c615a48.jpg

I'm not sure how well it will go over with the caching community. As with most hide types that are new to an area, some will probably like it and others will hate it.

And yes, it is paramount to make sure that your locked ammo can will not be stumbled upon by a non-cacher.

Small ammo cans (.30 cal) can be locked without any modification to the can. Larger ones (.50 cal) can be locked by simply drilling an additional hole in the clasp part, which does not compromise its waterproof nature.

Since it takes about 100 possible combos, I don't think cachers will have much patience for your idea. I saw the video on how it was done, and would definately skip it, unless there weren't any other caches to find, in the area.

I recently hid a locked ammo can in the woods of a park near my house. I do not provide the cacher with the combination in any way. Instead, I provide instructions of how to crack any Masterlock combination lock. You can find these instructions all over the Internet by searching Google. I experimented myself on a few different locks to make sure it would work, and it did, so I placed the cache. ...
Since it takes about 100 possible combos, I don't think cachers will have much patience for your idea. I saw the video on how it was done, and would definately skip it, unless there weren't any other caches to find, in the area.
I cracked three masterlocks when I was considering hiding mine. It only takes about five minutes to get it open.

I solved this by putting one in a public library behind the reference desk, at least they won't have to fight off the mosqitoes while cracking it.

Its working out pretty good, I also created several more indoor caches, work great in the winter.

As a side note, my safecracker type cache was finally published.

Link: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...e8-3f57330c7bfc

I'll give it 3-6 months, and if there are just 0-2 finds, I'll probably add an excessively evil micro with offset info that has the combination inside. That way they'll get to choose their poison.

But yeah...I'm expecting that not many people will go after it. Most cachers skip the 4-star difficulty caches. Wonder why...