Hints

darylt

As I posted earlier, I am new to this malarky!

Is it cheating or deemed to be unsportsmonly (or what ever you want to call it) to use the Hint?

I have tried to find the cache without with no luck, and have needed the hint every time (mainly because we were looking in completely the wrong area!

Is it cheating or deemed to be unsportsmonly (or what ever you want to call it) to use the Hint?

I have tried to find the cache without with no luck, and have needed the hint every time (mainly because we were looking in completely the wrong area!

I think the most likely response to this will be "Everyone plays the game their own way", so no problem with you playing it your way. Personally I like to try without the hint first, but will use it if I'm having problems, on some occasions I've used the hint straight away if I was in a hurry. If I use the hint I do mention it on the log. I think that as you get more finds under your belt you will get a feel for the sort of places people place their caches in and so won't need to resort the the hint quite so often.

I nearly always look at the additional hints when printing off the cache pages but invariably forget what they are by the time I am on site.... my poor memory you know!

In any case after 5 minutes searching I generally have had enough and look.

Each to his own.

Jon

We use the hints if given.

That said we don't refrain from seeking caches if no hint is given.

Curiously ,we sometimes think the ones without hints have been easier to find ?

With a Black & White print out the container size is not visable, so we do not always know what size container we are looking for. That is sometimes a challenge.!!

Edited by t.a.folk

Nothing wrong with using the hint - sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. Usually depends on the type of cache and the hider. Eg I nearly always use the hits for micros cause I just dont have the patience to search every last nook and cranny...

Also for my own caches I just assume that everyone will read the hint and don't feel that anyone has cheated if they do. If I didn't want them to have the info in the hint I wouldn't post it!!

There is nothing wrong with using the hint if you feel you need to as that's what it's there for. As others have mentioned, everyone plays this game differently which we feel is one of the great things about caching.

We like caching for the interesting walks and great places we are taken to and do tend to use the hints if we cannot find a cache after, say, 5 minutes searching but I know others who will search for a lot longer before using the hint.

Most of the time I use the hint. I have also come across a few where they have been more of a hinder than a help. :)

Its up to the individual weather to use the hint or not. We try to find it without and in lots of times we do if not we use the clue if there is one.

Do it your way!! Kevin.

Thats what we did today, only used the Clue if we had trouble finding the Cache, or if people writing logs says it is difficult to find!

Yesterday I found the final stage of a multi using only the clue - the intermediate had eluded me, so I decrypted the clue and tried every likely-looking spot. I think the cache was in the 475th place I looked...

I've done a similar thing a couple of times before, when I found myself close to a cache but without a GPS: Plot the co-ords on memory Map to get the rough area, then use the clue to find the cache :laughing: It's all part of the game!

When placing one cache I deliberately put all the information in the cache notes and didn't bother with anything in the 'hint'. This was done to protect the site. I think a lot of caches are lost to muggles/vandals either because the cover in the area gets flattened or because cachers are spotted whilst looking for too long.