The PID GRID... like a giant DeLorme Atlas...

NorthWes

As I was looking at the "PID GRID" it occured to me this looked like an immense DeLorme challenge... what a job it would be to cover the nation! Has it been done? Is there anyone logging their PIDs block by block? Have I stumbled over something that's already been remarked upon? I didn't see it in a thread search - but I usually can't find my own glasses on my desktop either. :anicute:

Interesting - Oddly enough there's AA7627 right here in Anchorage Alaska - on (local general aviation) Merrill airfield, monumented in 1967. We have TT series with some older UV and UW prefixes thrown in, but there are a few oddballs scattered in here & there (PID oddballs, I mean - before anyone remarks on how everyone up here's an oddball! :anicute: .)

There was a discussion on this way back whe rogbarn placed the PID GRID map.

The AA were used to fill in holes and later resets.

That is why they are scattered all onver the country.

Not as full as me and bucky but I now have from the Pacific Coast to the Atlantic coast.

I think I was the first to complete this task.

I use a different pid grid.

I do the same thing in my GPS TRACKMAKER.

I have also been keeping the tracks of my visits.

I turn it on while looking for them after letting it settle I turn the tracks off and go to the next station and repeat.

I seem to remember that many of the AA thru AL or so combinations have been used in scattered places in the country for newer stations, resets, etc. It would depend on what kind of challenge you want to do, a PID challenge or degree box challenge? If you choose a PID challenge, you would have to only accept Ax PID from their appropriate squares. Or maybe not, depending on how you want to setup your challenge.

Lexington County SC has - AA, AB, AC, AE, AH, AI, AJ, DE, DF, DH, and EC

The DF and DH are all of the 300+ benchmarks that Lexington County put out in 2002 and 2003. None of which are listed on gc.com but I've recorded about 10 of them on Waymarking.com - The AA series around here were all established in 1993 by the South Carolina Geodetic Survey.

The older ones are all DE or EC pids.

By the way, the PID grid map was originally made by Zhanna and is here on her survey marks website along with some other interesting items such as some USGS data sheets from a few northeastern states and a collection of local benchmark databases on websites.

Yeah, her NGS PID bookmarklet is great! I dragged it into my Firefox bookmark bar and use it all the time.

Patty