Someone posts a tracking number, now what?

fehrgo

I've looked around, but can't find any protocol for this. What do you do when a well meaning, short time cacher posts the tracking number for a bug of yours in their cache log entry, but then does not respond nor act when you request that they remove it? The owner of the cache in question has also not been responsive on the issue, so I'm trying to figure out what the next level to take it to would be.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Explain this to me as I'm unsure what the concern is...

I am a newbie and I recently made the mistake listed above. I understand that I'm not supposed to write the TB number on logs...but I cont really understand why. Could you explain that to me please.

PS....was it me and a canadian geocoin? :P

Uhh, I thought it was the number on the geocoin or TB tag that shouldnt be posted but the one that starts out TB could be posted?

As in TBxx123 could be posted but ABC789 (number on the coin) couldnt be.

If I have it mixed up then I need to fix a post I made a couple days ago.

Explain this to me as I'm unsure what the concern is...

I am a newbie and I recently made the mistake listed above. I understand that I'm not supposed to write the TB number on logs...but I cont really understand why. Could you explain that to me please.

PS....was it me and a canadian geocoin? :P

There are people who don't play nice and if you post the tracking number they might retrieve the bug on line without actually visiting the cache. It does happen.

Each bug page provides a 'number' you can use to post:

e.g. Use TBKPAZ to reference this item.

Uhh, I thought it was the number on the geocoin or TB tag that shouldnt be posted but the one that starts out TB could be posted?

As in TBxx123 could be posted but ABC789 (number on the coin) couldnt be.

If I have it mixed up then I need to fix a post I made a couple days ago.

No you have it right, the reference number thats given on the online page like "Use TBGF0Q to reference this item" can be posted, since that number can be used to find the TB page but not to actually log it found / discovered.

However, the number thats actually on the coin or TB tag should not be posted as it does allow others to find/discover the item... and thus do things like BlueDeuce said.

I have found and moved Indian Star TB TBNGXM

from one of my caches to another, but

the site does not show my possession of it,

even though I logged it as having discovered it.

It was not logged into the cache where I found it.

Owner's mail bounces.

The TB is currently in Maple Hill GCH0NF

I have found and moved Indian Star TB TBNGXM

from one of my caches to another, but

the site does not show my possession of it,

even though I logged it as having discovered it.

It was not logged into the cache where I found it.

Owner's mail bounces.

The TB is currently in Maple Hill GCH0NF

You've only logged it as 'Discovered'.

The current cacher hasn't logged the drop, but I am assuming they signed your cache log.

If it's been more than three days you should 'Grab' the bug from the current holder, post a note on your cache page to drop it (for tracking mileage), retrieve the bug, then drop it into the cache you left it in.