After you've moved

Of course anyone who wants can weigh in on the subject, but I'm primarily looking for advice from cachers who have already been through this type of situation.

I used to work in a set geographic area, and therefore was able to hide and maintain caches around that area with no trouble, but I now work on the road as a truck driver, and am only able to be home a few days at a time, and those times are divided by 4-6 weeks on the road. Most times that I do get home, I just have too many other things to do and cannot make the trip to my old caches for maintainence.

I'm looking for advice from those who have faced similar situations, on how you handled your old caches, and how those methods worked out in the long run.

As I see it I have a few different options to try,

a. proactivly pull and archive all my caches that are in the area.(freeing up the locations for new caches)

b. offer them up for adoption.(keeping some cool caches active, but relieving me of responsibility)

c. wait until there is a problem, then archive them and pull them at some later time.(leaving some poor other cacher to discover and report the problem)

d. do nothing and let them rot where they are.(and thus be one of those great geocachers who don't live up to their obligations)

Any other ideas would be welcome. Please share how you've handled yours when you moved, and how well did that work out.

When I moved, I adopted one out because a local was really interested in it and asked for it. The rest I got local people to help maintain. I have a combo of friends and my mother watching my old caches.

Some I plan to archive if they go missing. Others my local maintainer will replace if needed. I already had one that needed replacing and my friend got to it pretty quick for me. My mother has also replaced a filled up log book for me since I have moved.

Edited by carleenp

Not exactly the same set of conditions but we are moving to a new state next summer. Preparation for a job change and for the move will limit my time for cache maintenance.

I spent the last year slowly archiving our more distant caches and after Thanksgiving will archive the rest of them as the need for maintenance arises.

We will leave 2 to 4 of them active after we leave because we have friends here that can watch over them and we will travel back and forth occasionally.

If you feel that a handful of your caches should remain available you might just leave them active to see whether they actually are problematic or not. It might just work out o.k. I always look forward to WSR caches when I get down in your area.

I think the best and most responsible options are :

a. proactivly pull and archive all my caches that are in the area.(freeing up the locations for new caches)

b. offer them up for adoption.(keeping some cool caches active, but relieving me of responsibility)

If your hide states are important to you a. would be your only option, as once they are adopted out they no longer count in your hide stats.

I have seen, in my short time geocaching, a number of local geocachers move out of the area (we are near a military installation). The majority, if not all, of them adopt out their caches to individuals in the local group/area. KTAG has had a recent thread on their website with one member adopting out all of his local cashes. I think I would do the same, dependent upon how the response was to those caches in the first place. People like them I would adopt them out, people weren't necessarily thrilled and I'd archieve them. Just my personal opinion on the thing...

When I moved I archived my hides (the ones I actually hid) and adopted out the caches I had adopted from someone else. That way the ones I actually put out still show up on my profile. The ones I adopted just got moved to someone else's. The morning I went to retrieve them I disabled with a note. After I picked up my containers (important!) I archived the listings.

:laughing:

When I moved I archived some, adopted out others and kept a few. The ones I kept were remote and have never needed cache maitenence. Two of the ones I archived I brought back with maintenence help from a local cacher because I liked them and shouldnt have archived them.

Your call. If you will never ever go back...that's one thing. If you will make it back every now and then, that's another. The former means archive and adopt, the latter can be a mix depening on the cache.

WSR,

Go on the local site (www.thegba.net) and tell them you want someone to adopt your caches. When Nostrada moved out of Santa Clara, his were adopted in a few days. From what I have heard, people enjoy your caches. I'm sure most of them would be adopted.

We were wondering why you aren't around.

Edited by Wacka