When you move... How long do you wait?

nekom

I'll be moving in a couple of days, and I put my new home coordinates in to see what I had to look forward to on the caching front, and WOW 6 caches within a mile of my house! Looks like I picked a cache friendly town to live in.

What do you do? Find one a day? Get them all as soon as possible? Alternate between them and ones that require driving? I've never had caches within walking distance from home, except for the one I placed where I live now.

What do you do? Find one a day? Get them all as soon as possible? Alternate between them and ones that require driving? I've never had caches within walking distance from home, except for the one I placed where I live now.

We still haven't looked for the ones closest to home. We did find some earlier that were closeby and they have since been archived; but for the most part we tend to travel to find caches.

We are in a cache-rich environment and we will hit series of caches along a mountain road, out in remote areas, other cities (and states). We leave the ones closer to home for that trip back from the movies where we just feel like getting a couple of caches for fun.

Early on someone passed on to us that if you get all those close to home, eventually you have to travel every time you want to cache. That might be inconvenient. Sooooo...mix it up a bit.

Now-go out there and get those six caches-I can tell they are eating at you!

The first thing you should do is hide 50 lampost skirt caches. Then spend 30 seconds each looking for nearby caches, and if you can't find them, assume the container is missing and replace it with one of your own. Don't forget to ridicule how lousy all the caches are in your new town as opposed to where you used to live. Finally, seek out the most respected cacher in the area, and go to the local forums and publicly challenge them to a fistfight for caching dominance.

Then at your first event cache, announce that you were "just kidding" and undo everything. Everyone will think you're funny and cool and buy you beer. It'll be a grand old time. Or you'll just get beat up.

As for what I would do, I have this thing about finding every cache within 10 miles of my house, so I'd probably start there. It's only taken me 2 1/2 years to do it here, and the idea of having to start over makes my head hurt. So I can never ever move.

Edited by ThePropers

and WOW 6 caches within a mile of my house!

6 caches within a mile and you have time to post in this forum.

Nekom, you have to get your priorities right! ;-)

GermanSailor

haha, well I don't live there YET. Moving Wednesday, and I have a feeling that by Thursday I'll just be going out and grabbing all the walkable ones, but I'm not sure if that's a good idea really. What better thing to have on a nice weekend of boredom than a cache you can walk to? And I think it would be rather silly to revisit the same one again, unless you were moving a travel bug or something.

There are 31 caches within 1 mile of my home coordinates. There are 90 within 2 miles. There are 144 withn 3 miles. There are 184 within 4 miles. There are 205 with 5 miles. There is no way I could get myself to leave any of those alone. Needless to say, none of them are on my "unfound" list. :laughing:

Of course those are all "crow flies" miles and some of them are quite a steep hike. There is one that shows as around 14 miles or so from my house but, after driving up the hill to the nearest spot on the road, it would take me an hour to hike in to the cache and (ok I'm a wimp with long uphill treks) twice that to walk out again. I've done a couple other caches near there but this one wasn't in place at that time. One of these days I'll get back up there for that one.

I'll be moving in a couple of days, and I put my new home coordinates in to see what I had to look forward to on the caching front, and WOW 6 caches within a mile of my house! Looks like I picked a cache friendly town to live in.

Depends... when you were a kid, would you wolf down all your Halloween candy as soon as you got home, before you even took your costume off? Or would you slowly ration the goodies out over the next few weeks, savoring each Reese's peanut butter cup and Butterfinger bar?

If you were the "savoring" type, you probably wouldn't even be asking this question :laughing: , so I'm going to assume that you were a "wolfer". So: after you scarfed down all the candy, did you revel in the sugar rush, saying "WOW! That was GREAT!! :ph34r: " Or did you moan and groan from overindulgence and say "uggghhh... I should have saved some for later... :laughing: " ?

Use your response to that as your guide to handling your current dilemma :ph34r:

Hrm... I should ask my wife to add that in our criteria for house shopping... "Must have at least 6 caches within 1mi.

The call of those near by caches would be too strong.... must.... find.....

Seattle is offering up some of the most dangerous weather it can right now. Damp, light rain at 40 deg, slight breeze. Warm enough to make you think you are safe, and cold enough to get you into real trouble. In this weather, I plan to bag the urban caches close by and try to find a couple USGS markers. We already have a little snow in the passes, so i'm limiting myself to the lower elevations.