Devils in Danger coin give away

forthferalz

Hi everyone,

it seems to me things are all pointing at something all heading one way .... Sep. was Save the koala month and australia celebrates if that's the word our threatened species of which there are far too many in that month... and it almost seemed at teh time to me that Steve Irwin became a martyr. now in the dying days of october we have a Crikey coin announced and on teh shocking side the day after we visited the Trowunna Wildlife tassie devil research display we received the news the park is not a disease free haven - the quarantine breeding facility hasn't worked! We have lost up to 80% of this animal which became extinct on teh mainland of australia.

The two devils shipped to teh danish prince remain disease free.

A while ago i approached Chris rake to design a personal coin for me - a cry for the wild places and things here. It was always my intention to one day run a small charity coin giveaway 'game' with a selection of wilderness themed coins as prizes - especially this one. then due to a mixup with some of my coins i was given a very special chance to help create anotehr aussie animal themed coin with some folk.... more prizes (so there'll be a nice surprise I'll keep the actual prizes under wraps a bit longer - I'm no millionaire so don't get too excited :blink:

SOrry this is all a bit half baked still - a bit of a teaser - but it will happen if you folk think it will be fun and a good idea. The game is not a longwinded travel bug race, not a boots and hike cache race, nor even a devilish puzzle to solve - just to go into the prize draw complete a single cache related challenge involving min. two cachers ... the trick being you have to pair up with someone in another country to complete the challenge. Although there will be facility to make a donation the same as a cup of coffee to devil tumour research this would be wonderful but NOT mandatory - telling at least one other person about the problem is! I might even be able to talk the park keeper into getting one of the animals to draw the names of the winners for us.

I wanted something different from a charity coin auctions where just one person winds up carrying the load -

thoughts?

Edited by forthferalz

Sounds interesting. Will you provide a place where folks in different countries who are anxious to particpate can post a contact link? That would help people to pair up and cooperate.

We completed an east coast - west coast cache that involved cooperating across the US and the info on the cache pages helped people to connect. Check GCQRGC http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...=y&decrypt=

It worked very simply through the cache page on the geocaching site.

Good luck. We'll take part.

Sounds interesting. Will you provide a place where folks in different countries who are anxious to particpate can post a contact link? That would help people to pair up and cooperate.

We completed an east coast - west coast cache that involved cooperating across the US and the info on the cache pages helped people to connect. Check GCQRGC http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...=y&decrypt=

It worked very simply through the cache page on the geocaching site.

Good luck. We'll take part.

Hi thanks guys - that's a good idea to have a cache to log. the first cachinggames i did had their own websites - i was going to use this one as it's easy to setup a place to share/contact - and aussie :D

www.cachinggames.com

i have seen and tried (due to awful cache blindness not completed!) Hobart to Hobart (and if any one lives in kansas or sydeney,Florida i'd like to set up "no place like home" sister caches this xmas which would qualify you for part one of the entry! pm please).

My idea is two distance cachers plan and do something the same but in their own respective countries and share the resultss with everyone through the gamesite - anything - you might both set off TB's with same mission, post a funny photo log wearing antlers, find the oldest/highest cache in your area, go to/host an event with same theme, move a jeep whatever....be creative! Part 2 involves spreading the word through print - again whatever you like. I'll make some flyers of various sizes suitable to give to schools, go in windows, newsletters, send to local papers to make it easier.

There'll be groundbreaking research into cancer coming out of this- you will not be just treehugging by a long shot. The tumour has been confirmed as allograft transmitted ie if a cancerous devil bites another the cancer invades the second animal

How about a special coin to log with cool icon or a TB like dirty bird's cerebral codex distance cache ( another one I've yet to crack) when you have completed?

Edited by forthferalz

You have mail, I also may have a plan for that special coin. Glen

thanks so much Glen for the support :D

to clue the others in we have agreed to hide sister caches on a theme in Oz and Kansas and Glen is also donating some micro coins for these. I'll link them in as an example when I get the ok to start the game website up.

Game Timeline would be 8 weeks i think from start to finish - is that enough given the northern winter is approaching?

Edited by forthferalz

I would like to join some one in the game. I live close to the Kruger National Park in South Africa, and would like to do something regarding gameparks, maybe a puzzle cache with someone else close to a park, exchanging info, or altenatively I'm close to a botanical garden. Where do I put my contact detail or where do I find other cachers taking part ?

I would like to join some one in the game. I live close to the Kruger National Park in South Africa, and would like to do something regarding gameparks, maybe a puzzle cache with someone else close to a park, exchanging info, or altenatively I'm close to a botanical garden. Where do I put my contact detail or where do I find other cachers taking part ?

I have to get a webpage ready - i'll ask tonight in the meantime just post your requests to this thread. I just loved south africa when ew visited just one game park many years ago - soooo friendly lovely place and what a shock to fly in over all your lovely GUMTREES :D

Thanks for the support!

now about the PRIZES

I have decided to make the prizes in pairs. The first prize will be rare coins - others you might already have :D

What would be acceptable odds (anticipating say a US $3 donation?) - is one in 20 ok? I am unsure how many would participate but currently planning 5 prize packs on offer so to keep to those odds I'd have to limit participants to 200 otherwise we can just leave the table open and I'll chuck in some extra smaller prizes of pins. To reiterate there is no set donation - it's entirely up to you if you choose to do this and any money raised goes direct to the research fund - all prizes and postage is donated. The fund has its own facility for serious monetary donations so this is just to spread the word and for FUN!

caughtatwork has made an awesome proto-homepage for the game

screenshot of first page

http://feralcaching.wordpress.com/files/2006/11/did.jpg

and Chris rake is working on my coin :blink:

Anyone thinking of signing up could start reading the FAQ's for the main site http://www.cachinggames.com/faq.php

So I just need some proof reading and beta testing of rules because these all go pearshaped if that's not done thoroughly - for instance i think there should be a separate prize for those whose partners fail to complete.

This will be our first game, so we are not exactly sure what to expect. When the details are sorted if anyone wants to team up with a rookie team from kiwi land let us know.

Should be fun :blink:

Mark

I'd love to team up with you, if you're interested in a rookie team from Florida's Space Coast! :tired:

Edited by MommyFinder

This will be our first game, so we are not exactly sure what to expect. When the details are sorted if anyone wants to team up with a rookie team from kiwi land let us know.

Should be fun :laughing:

Mark

I'd love to team up with you, if you're interested in a rookie team from Florida's Space Coast! :unsure:

well cool! ball rolling then - go sign up to the mainsite www.cachinggames.com and I'll get the draft rules ready and the game home page released

Mark

I'd love to team up with you, if you're interested in a rookie team from Florida's Space Coast! :unsure:

well cool! ball rolling then - go sign up to the mainsite www.cachinggames.com and I'll get the draft rules ready and the game home page released

Already signed up at CachingGames! I'm excited, this will be our first game, too!

Actually, we're also signed up for the Around The World in 80 Caches game, too. So this will be our first or second game, depending on which game starts first!

Edited by MommyFinder

Mark

Already signed up at CachingGames! I'm excited, this will be our first game, too!

Actually, we're also signed up for the Around The World in 80 Caches game, too. So this will be our first or second game, depending on which game starts first!

Signed up a couple of days ago, so good to go in our first game :blink:

HI, thanks to Peter caughtatwork who works like lightening! the game is ready to go on friday! ( our friday! think that's US thursday ) Rules and length of game are open to discussion up till end of first week of play.

http://feralcaching.wordpress.com/2006/11/...ger-game-rules/

Expect typos :)

the website for the game again is

http://www.cachinggames.com/games.php

I've started thread on "organised caching" as "Devils in Danger - worldwide caching game" where you can find pals.

Can the mod please close this thread?

Edited by forthferalz

Details sorted and an exclusive Chris Rake coin underway for prizes plus two gold compass roses (and various backups)

Mucho thanks to caughtatwork the Devils game is underway tomorrow! You can now view the participants by clicking on "view claims"

(I'm playing but not going in the draw!)

http://www.cachinggames.com/games.php

click join the game and then view claims to search for a partner - you will need to pm them.

Also sub to

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...p;#entry2559932

where you can find pals and get updates

cheers!