Pocket Queries and .GPX downloads

Staufman

I don't quite understand what is going on with my pocket queries. According to the information on the pocket query page I can submit 5 searches per day. There are 6 pocket query searches that I wanted to perform. I filled out the query forms with the parameters I wanted. I put the first 5 on one day and put the 6th query on the following day. When I finished with the pocket queries I went back to my account to look at the queries and only the last one that I submitted was listed. What happened to the first 5? Also when I do a regular search based on my zip code and come up with a list of caches that I want to download. I "check all" and click on download. When the download box comes up, it only comes up with a .loc file. There is no option for a .gpx extension. Can someone tell me how to get the .gpx file?

Thanks

I filled out a pq and submitted it, then changed the name of it and the date range and submitted again. Did this for all of them.

That's why you only ended up with one - you only created one, just edited it a few times. You need to start with a new pq form each time to create multiple queries.

Did you submit 6 different queries, or change the entries on the same quiry 6 times?

On the search pages you can only get .loc files. The only way to get .gpx files is from PQ's or downloading from the cache page.

The system is flakier by the day and is a real turn off.

I know a few caechers that can't be bothered to log or search using pocket queries.

They use Goggle Earth, I must admit I probably will follow in their foot steps.

Too much down time and false search results.

Just today I tried to set up one for NY came back with zero finds from 200 km from my home.

Ya right ther would be close to 500 hits.

I have been using PQ 's with GASK for some time now and no I didn't screw up.

GC needs to get a handle on this soon and stop blaming the members.

I will not renew my pd membership if this kepts up.

Allay

Ok, well I didn't know you had to exit completely out of the pq form. I'll try that. Thanks

If you are making a similiar pocket query you can go to the list of queries you have made and click on the copy graphic to prefill the query to match what you have. Then make the changes to the query for a quick change.

Did you submit 6 different queries, or change the entries on the same quiry 6 times?

On the search pages you can only get .loc files. The only way to get .gpx files is from PQ's or downloading from the cache page.

The system is flakier by the day and is a real turn off.

I know a few caechers that can't be bothered to log or search using pocket queries.

They use Goggle Earth, I must admit I probably will follow in their foot steps.

Too much down time and false search results.

Just today I tried to set up one for NY came back with zero finds from 200 km from my home.

Ya right ther would be close to 500 hits.

I have been using PQ 's with GASK for some time now and no I didn't screw up.

GC needs to get a handle on this soon and stop blaming the members.

I will not renew my pd membership if this kepts up.

Allay

I've never had problems with a PQ that wasn't my fault. If you send me a link to your PQ I would be happy to try and find your problem.

I've never had problems with a PQ that wasn't my fault.

Echo that. The PQ generator has always worked fine for me. The few problems I've had were all on my end :P

I find it interesting that of all the 1,000+ cachers I know, only one complains about PQs. Almost all the complaints in the forums come from cachers with only a few finds :P

Edited by Lil Devil

I'll echo that. Usually the criteria is a problem - selecting too many restrictive characteristics, like "Caches I have Found" and "Caches I haven't Found" at the same time (either you did find it, or you didn't find it, can't be both).

Take a read on my tutorial and see if that clears up any problems. OR, as webscouter. suggested, open the PQ as if you were going to edit it and copy the website address and paste it here. Then we can all see what any problems might be and help out.

Thank you Markwell, for your good suggestion. However Lil Devil, I would like to set the record straight. I did read the tutorials and verified all my selections. The only criteria I put in the cache selection, was caches I haven't found and caches that were still active. I entered the number of caches I wanted and the number of miles radius from my home location. I selected the types of caches I wanted and the type of container. I filled all the fields in the form correctly. Like I said earlier, it is not mentioned anywhere that you must exit completely out of the pocket query form to start another query. My fault for not knowing that I suppose. So, yes the problem was on my end. Sorry for asking the question in the first place. I find it interesting that you have found mine to be the only complaint about PQ's and that complaints are only from cachers with only a few finds. I think the fact that you equate a new member to this hobby with a low number of finds as the source of all the complaints in these forums is genuinely dishonest. Before you make generalizations like these, perhaps you should think a little longer about it. :P

nuff said...

I am having some issues with pocket queries myself. This might be a dumb question, but where do I view my pocket queries? I haven't been able to find them and I wanted to make a new one, but it says I have reached my limit of 40 queries and won't let me make another one. I have looked and looked but I don't see where my queries are stored for me to delete or edit them. Thanks! :blink:

I am having some issues with pocket queries myself. This might be a dumb question, but where do I view my pocket queries? I haven't been able to find them and I wanted to make a new one, but it says I have reached my limit of 40 queries and won't let me make another one. I have looked and looked but I don't see where my queries are stored for me to delete or edit them. Thanks! :blink:

go to http://www.geocaching.com/pocket -- you should see a table listing all of your pocket queries. At the left hand side of the table is a column with checkboxes. Check off the queries you don't need anymore, then click on the trash can at the bottom of that column to delete them.

And in the future, you can access the list of your pocket queries by clicking on the "Build Pocket Queries" link in the Premium Members feature box found on the right-hand side of your My Account Details page.

Edited by The Leprechauns

It is on the right-hand side of your account page (www.geocaching.com/my) and is the "Build Pocket Queries" link.

I would have probably called it "Manage Pocket Queries" but that's just me.

And I'll echo everyone's else's thoughts. Never had a problem with PQ, and any encountered has turned out to be my fault.

Edited by ThePropers