Mega Event Question

nfa

Hi,

I don't know if this has already been suggested, but would it be possible for Mega Events to get a broader notification range than regualr events...like 200-300 miles, or maybe a one-time notification for each mega event within 1500 miles...

Thanks, and sorry if this question highlights either my stupidity or laziness... ;)

Jamie - NFA

Another addition to the OT! I think that events are listed as regular events up until 500+ people have logged attended.....so now that I think about it, the notification won't work.

That's one of the ways to get a mega event. The other way is to prove by past experience that you will have over 500 people. That's why Midwest and GW4 were changed to Mega before logging of the event even started.

Another addition to the OT! I think that events are listed as regular events up until 500+ people have logged attended.....so now that I think about it, the notification won't work.

That's one of the ways to get a mega event. The other way is to prove by past experience that you will have over 500 people. That's why Midwest and GW4 were changed to Mega before logging of the event even started.

So to answer NFA's question....really the only FORSURE events that will turn out Mega is Geowoodstock and Midwest. Chances are if you even glance over the forums only once and a while you won't miss hearing about those two events FAR in advance.

Other than those events, you have to watch the forums for news of people planning a large event that has potential to become mega. Right now their are a couple that have been going around, and the one that sticks out in my head is a possible Rocky Mountian mega event. (another thread in the organized geocaching forum)

Edited by Super_Nate

So to answer NFA's question....really the only FORSURE events that will turn out Mega is Geowoodstock and Midwest. Chances are if you even glance over the forums only once and a while you won't miss hearing about those two events FAR in advance.

For this upcoming year, you are correct. However, with everyone knowing about Mega events and wanting them in their area, I'm betting we'll start to see more and more of them pop up.

Other than those events, you have to watch the forums for news of people planning a large event that has potential to become mega. Right now their are a couple that have been going around, and the one that sticks out in my head is a possible Rocky Mountian mega event. (another thread in the organized geocaching forum)

Correct but again, if they become mega this year by those who log it, odds are next year they will be allowed to be called mega before they happen. I hope I'm making sense.

I think that is a GREAT idea! Never thought of that before.

You are talking about the insta-notify right?

209032.gif I hope not. Insta-Notify ranges are set by me, and I don't want GC overriding them without my permission.

I figure if they start sending out adverts about mega events, it will be in the weekly Thursday message, ppl have choosen to receive that, and its been used in the past to announce stuff hasn't it (like Waymarking for example)?

While we're onto mega events, anyone else wonder what would cause the minimum attendence number to be increased? It was afterall, "Note that we want this cache type to apply to only the largest of geocaching events and, accordingly, we may increase the required number of attendees to 750 or 1,000 based on the level of requests." But its left kinda open ended... 2006 has had what? 2? If next year there are four, will the limit be raised? What about with 10 or 12 in a year? or 20+ mega events? Or is it not the number of events, but the frequently? ;)

I think that is a GREAT idea! Never thought of that before.

You are talking about the insta-notify right?

209032.gif I hope not. Insta-Notify ranges are set by me, and I don't want GC overriding them without my permission.

I figure if they start sending out adverts about mega events, it will be in the weekly Thursday message, ppl have choosen to receive that, and its been used in the past to announce stuff hasn't it (like Waymarking for example)?

While we're onto mega events, anyone else wonder what would cause the minimum attendence number to be increased? It was afterall, "Note that we want this cache type to apply to only the largest of geocaching events and, accordingly, we may increase the required number of attendees to 750 or 1,000 based on the level of requests." But its left kinda open ended... 2006 has had what? 2? If next year there are four, will the limit be raised? What about with 10 or 12 in a year? or 20+ mega events? Or is it not the number of events, but the frequently? ;)

I'm not sure what the future holds...but right now it still stands at 500. (I checked it out before we started planning our event in Temecula, CA...)

Correct but again, if they become mega this year by those who log it, odds are next year they will be allowed to be called mega before they happen. I hope I'm making sense.

You made since.....Let me see if I got what you were saying! If, for example, the Rocky Mountain event that BadAndy is trying to set up becomes mega and he chooses to do it again....then odds are it will be allowed to be classified mega before the event happens.

As far as the number of attended cachers at an event to make it mega....I would vote to keep it 500. I know that is what it is now, but with the talk of the number maybe being increased I think it should stay 500 for good. If you think about it, a gathering where more than 500 registered cachers log an event is a heck of an event! That deserves a new icon right there! Sure, it is still a heck of alot of people when 1,000 shows up but everyone is looking for the extreme.

As far as the number of attended cachers at an event to make it mega....I would vote to keep it 500. I know that is what it is now, but with the talk of the number maybe being increased I think it should stay 500 for good. If you think about it, a gathering where more than 500 registered cachers log an event is a heck of an event! That deserves a new icon right there! Sure, it is still a heck of alot of people when 1,000 shows up but everyone is looking for the extreme.

Ok, as far as i know there is no 'talk of being increased', its just that back in May when the mega icon was announced (see announcement here) it said that they wanted it only for the largest events. Which has me wondering if the various other events in planning that are trying to reach mega status will end up pushing their bar higher. Ie 'we got it this year, but next year we have to go even higher to keep 'mega' status'. Not that attempts are bad or anything, the more events the better, its just I wonder will events that reach it in 2007, automatically get it in 2008 if there are say six mega events next year?

Right now their are a couple that have been going around, and the one that sticks out in my head is a possible Rocky Mountian mega event. (another thread in the organized geocaching forum)

The Rocky Mountain event will hopefully make it to mega status. Judging from the brainstorming, it'll have many event "firsts" and certainly is a unique format..

At first I liked the idea of increasing the notifications, after some thought I'm not so sure especially regarding "first annual" events. Anyone that planned an event could easily say "it'll be mega" and it'd be broadcast as if it were.

They become mega because enough people were intrigued by stories of the previous event that they grow into a life of their own. It takes more than pizza and a raffle to get a caching family on a plane and cross the country for an event. If you're not already mega, you'll need to get creative and come up with a reason for 500 people to show up the first time. If it's a hit you're set for the next year, If it isn't, polish it up hold some fundraisers and get ready for round two.

If you think about it, a gathering where more than 500 registered cachers log an event is a heck of an event!

The rules are for 500 people in attendance, not 500 registered cachers. A family that shows up together gets to count each individual, not just their one caching handle.

What??? How then do the Groundspeak people know that it was indeed a mega event? Do they have to be in attendance to confirm 500 people? Does someone have to take pictures of the crowd? Does someone at the event have to do the job of headcount? That doesn't make much since to me.

If you think about it, a gathering where more than 500 registered cachers log an event is a heck of an event!

The rules are for 500 people in attendance, not 500 registered cachers. A family that shows up together gets to count each individual, not just their one caching handle.

What??? How then do the Groundspeak people know that it was indeed a mega event? Do they have to be in attendance to confirm 500 people? Does someone have to take pictures of the crowd? Does someone at the event have to do the job of headcount? That doesn't make much since to me.

I guess it's on the honor system. I asked for that clarification before we started planning our event. I was told is was the number of people in attendance, not the number of cachers. Our log book will have a box next to each log entry to enter the number in each party. I hope that we don't have a problem with that aspect...we want to be sure we meet the requirements.

Are going to contest this years mega event, GCRRC6? Even if it was set at 250 for the icon, there would only be a few a year. Its just a new class, something different, something unique, something special.

Are going to contest this years mega event, GCRRC6? Even if it was set at 250 for the icon, there would only be a few a year. Its just a new class, something different, something unique, something special.

I don't understand your question....GCRRC6 is Geowoodstock4, and that was with no doubt a mega event.