Script for Siloans Caches

Good news, no need for GSAK to generate the dataset, the nice folks at GeocacheUK have written a small interface for use :laughing:

I have made a siloans script, as requested. Made the simply paul script to update itself, and also made a tool to create a greasemonkey script for any cache placer.

Full details here

screeny.jpg

Brilliant... I now know I have done 133 Siloans caches! Great job Edgemaster!

Good news, no need for GSAK to generate the dataset, the nice folks at GeocacheUK have written a small interface for use :D

I have made a siloans script, as requested. Made the simply paul script to update itself, and also made a tool to create a greasemonkey script for any cache placer.

Full details here

screeny.jpg

i'm flattered that we have our own icon! nice one edgy! I see you have another 5 or 6 of ours still to go... :D

Oh, and fantastic work on the script - i shall be playing with this when i get home from work tonight! way to go!

Oops, forgot to mention a bug with the G:UK data, it includes caches with any sort of log (yes, including DNFs) at the moment, not just found ones, results may be higher than expected. This probably will be fixed soon.

Fixed, as of 30 seconds ago :)

Btw, great job with the generator, haven't tried it but it looks excellent!

Edited by barryhunter

Please note that items in the temp folder (ie: all generated scripts) will be deleted automatically at midnight daily. Please find your own hosting, or if not possible, I will add to my googlepages site and create a directory of entries there (that may be the best option for now).

Edit: Hosting is not required, only needed if linking people to them. If you do want to share, see my post below for an icon directory.

Edited by Edgemaster

Please note that items in the temp folder (ie: all generated scripts) will be deleted automatically at midnight daily. Please find your own hosting, or if not possible, I will add to my googlepages site and create a directory of entries there (that may be the best option for now).

To be honest I don't know how to go about hosting my own site, never mind hosting my own script. Some pointers on how to do this would be appreciated.

To be honest I don't know how to go about hosting my own site, never mind hosting my own script. Some pointers on how to do this would be appreciated.

ditto...

haven't got home yet, but i shal be running these when i do. If they are downloaded already, then do i need to worry about whether they are hosted, or is that only a concern for future downloads? I assumed that by downloading and installing the js file then that was it...

If I do need to store them online somewhere, then I can do that on my webspace i think - so do i just have to upload the js file to that?

Sorry - i'm not a complete technonumpty but greasemonkey scripts are beyond me (note to self, find out more!) I can install them, but thats it!

Icon directory

The point is that once you have perfected a script, correct icon size etc. You'll want to share it to save others the trouble.

Once it's installed, it wont have to touch my website again, just G:UK for its data. That was why I originally made the generator clear its files nightly since several of the scripts are previous revisions.

Continue using the generator. Just beware that when posting links to the files that they may not be there tomorrow! Download them and find somewhere else to put them to link to them. I'll always be happy to upload them to my icon directory, as linked above, just contact me!

i'm flattered that we have our own icon! nice one edgy! I see you have another 5 or 6 of ours still to go... :)

Did you note the DNF on one of your caches a couple of days ago? At that time I had 17 'finds', delete the log, it drops back to 16, find barryhunter has fixed the G:UK side, it drops to 15 :) If only the whole hiding place hadn't gone! :(

Right after Edgemaster told me about his script generator, I read the forums to undertsand what he created etc. I noticed that Edgemaster was saying 'if you have no place to store, ask me (as a last resort)' I decided to write a script to allow people to upload their scripts:

http://www.pythonmoo.co.uk/1643/create

There are pros and cons for using this site and asking Edgemaster (or providing your own)

Mine Edgemaster

+ everyone can upload -You have to ask Edgemaster

+Inital upload is quick -You need Edgemaster's approval

-Server is unreliable +its hosted on googlepages

-Server can be slow +fast server

+the script is written in MOO -Edgemaster does it manually

(for anyone who knows what that is - I think thats a plus)

How to Use

1. First create the Script using Edgemaster's generator
  2. From the file that is generated take the unique number (ie xxxxxxx.user.js)
  3. place that number (without the .user.js) into the first field
  4. Type the name you want for your script and press store
  5. If successful It will provide the link to your script

Any errors will be displayed in RED

Please can you test provide any feedback/bugs

Splinter98

The reason I did not store them on my own server is because it is unreliable and slow. The main site is a better choice due to the added reliability and neatness.

However, since I also host pythonmoo.co.uk (on the same system as the generator), it defeats the point.

I really addressed the problem of hosting since some people were linking directly to the temp folder.

I will reiterate that hosting of any sort is not required to create your own script, or to use it.

Splinter that is good, is there a way to visit the uploaded scripts so that others can share them without clogging up the site with the duplicated scripts?

Hmm sounds a good Idea, I will add a page that lists all hosted scripts - that shld be easy to do.

I could also implement a check to see if the script is exactly the same as another (if so then it will eject it) thus preventing duplicates, shldnt be too hard either.

Thanks for the feed back, will sort that out tomorrow

In reply to Edgemaster, MY uploading script are for those lazy people who cant be bothered to wait for GE and dont mind about reliablity nor speed.

splinter98

In reply to Edgemaster, MY uploading script are for those lazy people who cant be bothered to wait for GE and dont mind about reliablity nor speed.

But I still worry about the additional traffic that this will bring to my server, remember just one link that happens to be on a high traffic site could cause some trouble.

Also remember that the MOO-http programming has far more overheads than the php that I use, please consider the efficiency of the code and backend storage, noting that each individual userscript is the same but for 3 variables listed at the start. We should continue this discussion off-forum.

Enough of that, onto the functionality and stop worrying about peripheral issues.

The % stats will be done as soon as I get the chance. I will probably release it as an optional extra, enabled by a checkbox on the generator.

I have also had a thought to use one script for all the icons, by setting preferences. One script would save on storage space in the firefox profiles, and tidy up the greasemonkey list of installed scripts. This should be possible, but it will take a little more work. The options should be able to be set via the Tools>Greasemonkey menu when I have done it. This will also make the sharing of scripts easier, since all that would be required is the name, ID and icon which could be simply given to others in a forum post.

And I apologise for bumping the topic yet again with this post, I'm surely boring people now :unsure:

What the heck is a Siloan Cache? :tired:

A cache placed by the cacher siloans, it was asked for since he has placed 186 caches, and some people may like to see how many of his they and others have done.

The script can now be used for any UK cacher, not just siloans.

Edit to fix wrong tag use.

Edited by Edgemaster

I have finished the little stats extension of the script.

I suggest that additional stats be used sparingly since they hit the G:UK servers harder, and thus take a little longer to load.

To use, uninstall the old script for that cacher, and use the generator to install the new one.

screeny2.jpg

And here is the purple pineapple script shown above.

Edited by Edgemaster