Permission

trackinthebox

The OP provided this list of "caches that prove reviewer bias" to me via private message. I have studied each of them closely. Two caches in Pennsylvania have been archived due to the NPS permission issue. If permission can be demonstrated, we would be delighted to re-list them. A third cache in Pennsylvania is so close to the border between the NRA and an adjoining town and public business that I am giving it the benefit of a doubt. It was hidden by an experienced geocacher who is well aware of the NPS policy regarding geocaching, and a private reviewer note confers the owner's good faith belief that the cache is on property that is open to geocaching.

Given the above summary, there is absolutely no cause for the continued reference to "2 in PA, 7 in NJ" that somehow demonstrate that the volunteer cache reviewers are not doing their job.

Is this that third cache you speak of? If so, you sir, are in error.

Not to do your job for you but.........

........ah what the heck, I'll do your job for you :laughing:

Pocono Cold Air Cave (GC9173) http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...09-6bbbe22fc54b is also on NPS property in PA.

http://www.nps.gov/archive/dewa/InDepth/Sp...g/dlwEXLOG.html

"Milepost 75.52 Point of Gap overlook, the destination for the excursion, is one of the most point in Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area. The parking area lies at the foot on 1413-foot Mt. Minis in Pennsylvania, and across the Delaware River from 1527-foot Mount Tammany in New Jersey. "Indian Head", the eastward projection of Mt Tammany seen from this point has long been thought to resemble the Indian chieftain's profile. A few hundred yards south on Route 611, Cold Air Cave was a popular local attraction with a stand right on the roadway."

http://www.poconorecord.com/apps/pbcs.dll/...EWS21/609020344

"• In 1967, the tract of land on which the cave sits was purchased by the Army Corps of Engineers. The land and cave eventually became part of the Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area."

There will be no more smug remarks about having to do my job for me, thank you. I have been doing this job several hours per day for more than three years.

Pocono Cold Air Cave was not one of the caches on the hit list that you forwarded to me previously. I took a look at it. It's an old, old cache, hidden before it was at all clear that we ought not be publishing caches on National Recreation Areas managed by the NPS. It was hidden before Pennsylvania even *had* a dedicated cache reviewer to research such things. As such, this cache is grandfathered. It would be removed from the site if the land manager asked Groundspeak to do so. This is explained in the cache listing guidelines, in the same paragraph where it is explained that no cache serves as precedent for any other cache. There are good reasons for pretty much every sentence in the guidelines. I encourage you to become as familiar with them as I have over the past four years.

If you had read this thread completly you would have noticed that there are ways to get geocaches placed and approved by this site on NPS lands. If you would have up the memo Mopar referenced you would have noticed that it was in responce to caches already placed. Geocaching pre-dates the NPS ban.

The NPS ban is a broad level informal policy. As such local administrators do have the authority to set policy for the NPS lands they manage. The NPS manages more than just National Parks.

When you take the time to learn why things are the way they are, where this sites guidelines came from you would also know that there are exceptions and perhaps more important how to place a cache that "breaks the rules" and still get it listed. If you do, hopefully some other cacher won't come along and call your cache into question in spite of your work.

Edited by Renegade Knight