First day of caching

AZ_KMx2

My wife and I had the our first day of caching today. Found all three we looked for and got a few miles of hiking done while we were at it. We did a bit of zig zagging around while trying to learn how to use the GPS. Does everyone walk around like idiot when they first use GPS or was that just us..?

I got a Magellan eXplorist 400. It seems pretty good but there are a few things I don't get yet, okay maybe a lot of things. I'd like to have a screen that had numerically your position and the cache position. I uploaded the topo region where we were going to be but I can only see a square that represents the region I loaded but I can't display any topo features.

Anyway, it was a good day and I think we will log many more in the future. Thanks for the new hobby!

Kevin

Congrats on your first day of caching....it is fun!

As far as everyone walking around like an idiot on their first day of using a GPS....the answer is YES! I have let newbies use my GPS when we are looking for a cache, and the thing that I see out of everyone that I come in contact with....they like to walk in a straight line with where their arrow points them. That includes walking through a flower bush, or stopping when you get to a building and looking around blankly like what-am-i-supposed-to-do-now? They have .15 miles left to go and they stop when they get to a building and wonder how they are going to get around.

Pretty funny.

Congrats on your first day of caching....it is fun!

As far as everyone walking around like an idiot on their first day of using a GPS....the answer is YES! I have let newbies use my GPS when we are looking for a cache, and the thing that I see out of everyone that I come in contact with....they like to walk in a straight line with where their arrow points them. That includes walking through a flower bush, or stopping when you get to a building and looking around blankly like what-am-i-supposed-to-do-now? They have .15 miles left to go and they stop when they get to a building and wonder how they are going to get around.

Pretty funny.

That is pretty funny. The first time I took my mom, she insisted (while still in the car) that I needed to go left through the woods, despite that we were EIGHT MILES from the cache. I kept saying "yeah, why don't we follow roads for awhile" :anibad:

:rolleyes: We started geocaching this past weekend, and love it!!! We had not figured out how to download the coordinates to our GPS (Okay. Truthfully, we didn't take the time to learn; we just went). We walked and walked and walked, then we found our caches. We marked where we left the car, and followed a pretty straight route back. For all three that we did this weekend, we had a lot of fun looking at the crazy routes we took to get to the caches due to lack of maps or lack of desire to set down and read the GPS manual. We may never do it the "right" way. We are totally addicted. ;)

Another funny thought about the directional arrow.....newbies tend to get to the pin-point cache site and the arrow starts bouncing around and the distance keeps jumping from 0 feet to 20 feet in the blink of an eye...they start getting flustered and walking around in circles even though they have stepped on the cache a dozen times.

Why not get close to ground zero and start searching for the cache container without the GPS :anicute:

I'm so glad you both had fun! Don't feel too bad about the "dance", you're not the first. Look at this "official" definition:

Drunken Bee Dance – The movements of a geocacher, trying to pinpoint Ground Zero, chasing the directional arrow first one direction and then another

Now that I looked at this post....I basically said the same thing. Good minds think alike :anicute:

Although I like your wording better!

I like to do a variation, which I call the Periodically Drunken Bee Dance. This involves using the GPS to get as close to 0 as possible, then stopping to search the immediate area for a couple minutes, then using the GPS again to find the new 0, then searching, and so on. :anicute:

I would imagine this looks a little bit better, but maybe not. :anicute:

Mike (Mike @ Kate)

My wife and I had the our first day of caching today. Found all three we looked for and got a few miles of hiking done while we were at it. We did a bit of zig zagging around while trying to learn how to use the GPS. Does everyone walk around like idiot when they first use GPS or was that just us..?

Not just you, and not just when we first start using a GPSr....I've heard stories of cachers with 100+ find who still do that. I know I do!

I get to the general area, look up at the tree cover, check my gpsr for accuracy, and then put it down on the ground for a good 5 minute or more while I do the obvious checks in tree holes. I go back to my gpsr and see if there's any changes.

I've also learned not to trust the cache owners accuracy of cache placement. B)

Today I found my Two Thousand and something or other cache, nine of 'em today. Hiked to several waterfalls, the ruins of an iron furnace, and some mineral springs. Slipped and fell on the wet rocks. Shimmied across logs over the rapids. One of the best geocaching days in a long time. On days like this, more than four years after finding my first cache, it still feels just as cool.

And yes, we did a lot of walking around in circles. B)

Edited by The Leprechauns