Cache pages display map in middle of page

LifeOnEdge!

Currently, on most cache pages (below the Additional Hints section and ONLY on cache pages with a HINT), the general map is displayed to the left of the decryption key. This causes the Find Nearest Caches links to be crammed and wrap excessively on the left side of the page.

I see this on 100 percent of the cache pages with a supplied hint. Some others seem to see this, but slightly less frequently.

I have discussed this with Eric at geocaching.com who claimed that the problem was only with my computer. Several other cachers have seen this on their own computers. I was getting somewhere yesterday with Eric, up to the point where he saw the problem and I replied in recognition of this. Since then, I have recieved no addition response from him. It was suggested that I report this in the forums.

This must have occured with the most recent software update, but no one has complained as yet.

What do we know about this problem and its solution?

Regarding the following post by FamilyDNA:

I didn't report this problem to see who could live with crowding. You don't rent a car and put up with a clogged fuel filter. I presented this as evidence that something has changed and inappropriately, in hopes that they will undo the last change that affected this area, work on a correct fix for what their prior goals were, and move from there.

Obviously, I could reduce my font size and max out my window width and "live" with this problem. I could also run to work in the mornings. Neither is likely to happen! :laughing:

I hate to bring this up, but the $30 we pay per year is paid to avoid and fix issues such as these.

When you

are faced

with read

ing lines

like these

its gets

annoying

very quick

ly. Its hard

enough to

make sense

of the lines

with the

current

width

restrictions.

Hopefully this post will open the appropriate person's eyes to this issue and initiate repairs.

Edited by LifeOnEdge!

I'm not seeing the problem that is complained of so stridently. You'd think the website had ground to a halt! I do see the map's location and the decryption key's location have shifted a bit, but with no noticeable impact on anything else.

Could you help us understand your concern by posting a screen shot or linking to an example? What browser, operating system and screen resolution are you using, in order to produce this behavior?

The only way I can reproduce the problem described in the original post is if I force the text size in my browser to increase. If I leave it a the level that it usually is at, then I do not see excessive wrapping. In fact, at that point I like what is happening because it shifts the map into blank screen space, and on a number of pages I can see everything I need without scrolling.

I can understand that folks who have their default browser font set larger than I do, might not find the trade-off acceptable. But since I do frequently also select larger fonts, I also know that excessive wrapping is a fact of life on virtually every webpage that uses several columns, frames or tables.

Regarding the following post by FamilyDNA:

I didn't report this problem to see who could live with crowding. You don't rent a car and put up with a clogged fuel filter.

When you post in a public forum where folks are free to say what they want, you should expect them to tell you some things other than what you want to hear.

Also, please note that appropriate use of this forum tool includes the use of "reply" feature to reply, rather then editing your original post.

Obviously, I could reduce my font size and max out my window width and "live" with this problem. I could also run to work in the mornings. Neither is likely to happen! :laughing:
Are you kidding me?!? You have the browser window using only a portion of your screen?!? Doesn't that generate excessive wrapping on every web page on the internet?

And, are you communicating that you are unwilling to consider even the most minor adjustment in your daily life (e.g. using the browser's key strokes to adjust your text size dynamically).

I hate to bring this up, but the $30 we pay per year is paid to avoid and fix issues such as these.

The problem happens exactly the same way for folks who paid $30 and those who did not.

I see this problem on every page now. I think it's because I use a 640-wide browser. Here's a screenshot:

bad-map-wrap.gif

The Decryption Key has claimed a lot of real estate on the right side of the page. Everything on the left side has to fit into whatever space is left over, and on my screen that's not much. Please revert this?

Hynr,

I am posting the problem for the powers that be to be aware of the issue AND to add support to the existance of the problem.

I did not post the problem for critiques of my or anyone else's initial non-use of the Reply feature, where someone's non-money goes, what color I look best in, or how many days one should wear jeans before washing.

While I appreciate your efforts, lets please stay on task here. All of your last set of comments above are obscure at best.

1) Have you seen the issue that I described?

2) If so, when did it appear and how often are you seeing it in the cache pages WITH hints supplied?

3) If not, there is no need to clutter the forum.

I did not say this was the end of the world. It is, however, very annoying and not how the pages were designed. This issue here is: It was not this way three days ago, the cache page was not designed in this manner, AND it is quite disruptive unless I max out my window width.

I see this problem on every page now. I think it's because I use a 640-wide browser. Here's a screenshot:

bad-map-wrap.gif

The Decryption Key has claimed a lot of real estate on the right side of the page. Everything on the left side has to fit into whatever space is left over, and on my screen that's not much. Please revert this?

Klossner,

This is EXACTLY the thing I am seeing. Thanks so much for the screenshot. The map appears to the left of the decryption key regardless of font size, screen resolution, and window width. It used to appear below the decryption key and rarely impacting the text to the left.

Hynr,

I am posting the problem for the powers that be to be aware of the issue AND to add support to the existance of the problem.

I did not post the problem for critiques of my or anyone else's initial non-use of the Reply feature, where someone's non-money goes, what color I look best in, or how many days one should wear jeans before washing.

While I appreciate your efforts, lets please stay on task here. All of your last set of comments above are obscure at best.

1) Have you seen the issue that I described?

2) If so, when did it appear and how often are you seeing it in the cache pages WITH hints supplied?

3) If not, there is no need to clutter the forum.

I did not say this was the end of the world. It is, however, very annoying and not how the pages were designed. This issue here is: It was not this way three days ago, the cache page was not designed in this manner, AND it is quite disruptive unless I max out my window width.

Congrats on your promotion to moderator. :wub:

{image snippage}

Thank you for calmly and clearly illustrating the issue. As I use a higher browser setting and regular font size, I wasn't seeing it like your image shows.

I see the same thing, when I increase my text size or reduce my screen size. The map has definitely been moved to a new location. If you use a small text size or have a wide screen size it isn't as noticeable and in fact looks better this new way.

Okay. Great. Since several, if not most cachers are seeing this, it would likely be resultant to a recent change in code to the cache page itself. The problem is NOT just with my computer.

If you change the window width and observe, you will see the "Find all nearby..." links wrapped first minimally, then critically, then varying(depending on the cache page). I agree that sometimes this is no big deal. Other times it is a big deal. This indicates either a error, a design flaw, or possibly both.

This problem is not seen if there is no hint OR if there are additional waypoints added to the cache page. In these cases, the map appears cleanly on the right of the page. While changing text size and widening windows will *sometimes* minimize this problem, that is not a solution. "I am not bothered by it, so why should you be?" is not a design concept.

Since this is not per design (even though random changes sometime first appear to be "better") it obviously pushes on the links on the left, causing them to be needlessly wrapped, it would most likely be best to have the right side of this map pinned to the right margin of the cache page and not floating as it currently appears to be.

I appreciate the confirmation of this problem and look forward to its correction.

I have also experienced this problem exactly as LifeOnEdge has stated so I will not repeat it. This problem is wrong and needs to be corrected. True we can live with it, but why should we have to. I know it can be corrected by Groundspeak. or GC.com. It would help if all who are experiencing it will post on this forum and show that we are concerned. The squeaky wheel get the grease, so lets do a little squeaking. Thanks in advance for your concern and posting same. Nick

On 800x600 the only thing I see wrapped is

Find...

...other

caches

hidden

or found

by this

user

Everything else is below the map, and the mentioned part even flows pretty well.

That is exactly what you do see due to this problem. The map is centered on the page instead of right-justified, causing all those links to fold onto themselves.

The links for the maps below the affected links are too short to need to be folded.

If the map were returned to the right-justified postion, all those links would open up, depending on your particular screen resolution.

As it stands, with the complex link lines with different function, its harder to see which one you are selecting.

Here's what I see:

whatiseeqc7.png

The simplest solution (though it may not be simple) I see is to fit the text on the left under the map. Or just have the map set to the right of the page.

Not to be trite, but the solution is to fix the problem. This used to be correct. Then it was messed up. Then it was fixed. Now it is messed up again.

I would *think* that the "simplest solution" would be to set it back to the way it was set after the first fix. But I'm not the person doing that. I don't know what they did. They do. They will know what to do.

I'll say it again so it isn't lost in the garble: The map used to be right-justified.

Here's what I see:

whatiseeqc7.png

The simplest solution (though it may not be simple) I see is to fit the text on the left under the map. Or just have the map set to the right of the page.

Not to be trite, but the solution is to fix the problem. This used to be correct. Then it was messed up. Then it was fixed. Now it is messed up again.

I would *think* that the "simplest solution" would be to set it back to the way it was set after the first fix. But I'm not the person doing that. I don't know what they did. They do. They will know what to do.

I'll say it again so it isn't lost in the garble: The map used to be right-justified.

Thank you for reporting it. Please have patience until it gets fixed.