Weapons Cache

Tigerman67

Well here was an unusual one that I found one day during my lunch hour. mtn_goat and I were geocaching at lunch and were having trouble finding the last leg of a multicache (It turns out it was missing). It was in a small wooded area inside of a city, So we wondered off to another cache that was only a few hundred feet away. On the way back to the multi at a distance of 50 feet from cache, I spotted something under some brush. I pulled it out thinking, well it could be the cache.... but having a bad feeling it wasn't.

18421104-cb19-487a-8def-ee0e2101f4c5.jpg

Opened it and found what looked like a single shot 20 gauge shot gun, and a remington bolt action rifle with scope. I was thinking.... I wonder if I can swap some geocaching swag for the rifle. But I didn't think that the cops would believe I found a gun case with one gun and a travel size playdoe. ;) That whole "Possession of a stolen firearm" being a felony, decided it might not be that great of a trade.

Called the police on the non-emergency line, and waited 20 minutes on hold before I could talk to anyone. And another 10-15 for the police cruizer to show up. The officer was a bit curious about why we were in the woods, and we had to explain geocaching to her. The officer called me back later, and was curious to know if a geocacher may have placed this out there. I of course said no, I thought it was kids that stole it and they stashed it in the woods near thier house since they wouldn't be able to sneak it into thier house. The officer did tell me they were stolen and the owner was happy to get them back.

In the end, an exciting day of geocaching but we were very late getting back from lunch that day.

Link to log and cache

Tigerman67

Well here was an unusual one that I found one day during my lunch hour. mtn_goat and I were geocaching at lunch and were having trouble finding the last leg of a multicache (It turns out it was missing). It was in a small wooded area inside of a city, So we wondered off to another cache that was only a few hundred feet away. On the way back to the multi at a distance of 50 feet from cache, I spotted something under some brush. I pulled it out thinking, well it could be the cache.... but having a bad feeling it wasn't.

Opened it and found what looked like a single shot 20 gauge shot gun, and a remington bolt action rifle with scope. I was thinking.... I wonder if I can swap some geocaching swag for the rifle. But I didn't think that the cops would believe I found a gun case with one gun and a travel size playdoe. ;) That whole "Possession of a stolen firearm" being a felony, decided it might not be that great of a trade.

Called the police on the non-emergency line, and waited 20 minutes on hold before I could talk to anyone. And another 10-15 for the police cruizer to show up. The officer was a bit curious about why we were in the woods, and we had to explain geocaching to her. The officer called me back later, and was curious to know if a geocacher may have placed this out there. I of course said no, I thought it was kids that stole it and they stashed it in the woods near thier house since they wouldn't be able to sneak it into thier house. The officer did tell me they were stolen and the owner was happy to get them back.

In the end, an exciting day of geocaching but we were very late getting back from lunch that day.

Link to log and cache

Tigerman67

Wow, incredible story! You did the right thing, even if it took a lot of your time to do so. I agree that it was probably kids, what they might have been planning to do with them is frightening. You surely cast geocaching in a good light with the LEO community.

Maybe kids, or maybe a mad gunman watching you in the woods dispatching geocachers? If it had been me I probably would have ran for it and called the cops from home. I'm not sure what the correct approach is, but I would have been sweating bullets the whole time waiting for them to show up if I had stayed.

Think he would have been angry if he came back only to find 2 happy meal toys in the gun case?

...but I would have been sweating bullets the whole time waiting for them to show up if I had stayed.

Great pun! Seriously, you know you're sitting on their guns, and the one on your belt (you DO carry, right?) is just added insurance.

Think he would have been angry if he came back only to find 2 happy meal toys in the gun case?

The look on their faces would be priceless!

Opened it and found what looked like a single shot 20 gauge shot gun, and a remington bolt action rifle with scope. I was thinking.... I wonder if I can swap some geocaching swag for the rifle. But I didn't think that the cops would believe I found a gun case with one gun and a travel size playdoe. :D That whole "Possession of a stolen firearm" being a felony, decided it might not be that great of a trade.

Considering the tragic events of this past week, you may have saved many young lives from being ended and many more from being horribly traumatized. Thank you for taking the time out of your day to call the police. I'm a copwife. I live every day with the knowledge that my husband responds to what ever he is called to and that he may not come home. That includes shootouts at a school. :D

Link to log and cache

Tigerman67

Edited by zuni moon

Opened it and found what looked like a single shot 20 gauge shot gun, and a remington bolt action rifle with scope. I was thinking.... I wonder if I can swap some geocaching swag for the rifle. But I didn't think that the cops would believe I found a gun case with one gun and a travel size playdoe. :D That whole "Possession of a stolen firearm" being a felony, decided it might not be that great of a trade.

Tigerman67

Know this: You did the right thing! Considering the tragic events of the past week, you may have saved manyyoung lives from being ended in another school shooting, and many more lives from being horribly traumitized by it. Thank you for taking the time to call the police and patiently waiting for them. Not everyone would have done it, most still don't want to get involved! God bless you!

...but I would have been sweating bullets the whole time waiting for them to show up if I had stayed.

Great pun! Seriously, you know you're sitting on their guns, and the one on your belt (you DO carry, right?) is just added insurance.

You know it wouldn't be right to take the guns and leave the happy meal toys, right? Everyone knows you have to Trade Up, Trade Even, or Don't Trade!

Loch Cache

:cry:

You know it wouldn't be right to take the guns and leave the happy meal toys, right? Everyone knows you have to Trade Up, Trade Even, or Don't Trade!

Loch Cache

:rolleyes:

Yeah the happy meal toys are worth much more than the guns.