New cache page or change the coords?

crystalndave

Dave and I placed a cache a few months back that has had a chronic problem of being removed. Its an easy micro in a cemetary (I know some people don't like them). We have relocated the cache about 150 feet away in hopes that people will leave it alone. Its a new container and log since the old one has been stolen (well actually we have one of the old containers because we found it in a different spot in the cemetary) so do we make a new cache page or change the old one? I looked but I couldn't find any thing in other forum posts.

Dave and I placed a cache a few months back that has had a chronic problem of being removed. Its an easy micro in a cemetary (I know some people don't like them). We have relocated the cache about 150 feet away in hopes that people will leave it alone. Its a new container and log since the old one has been stolen (well actually we have one of the old containers because we found it in a different spot in the cemetary) so do we make a new cache page or change the old one? I looked but I couldn't find any thing in other forum posts.

If it's just 150' away, I'd just update the coordinates.

i have checked to see what it says in the rules. but i would say the choice is yours. i made up a geocache and where i wanted to place it was to difficult to get permission. (long story) so i just made a different one. i used the existing one i just changed the coords and renamed it. the reviewer had no problem with it. i have seen where two geocachers with different geocaches remade their geocaches and just archived the old ones and remade them both. but i have also seen cachers who changed the coords and kept the one going.

i guess the choice is up to you on wether or not you want previous cachers to have to come back and claim a find on the new one. that can go either way. some one who has been there before for the original may think it was a nice enough place to make a return visit. while others may need that fix to have every cache in their area to have been found and those who want the numbers to be a high as they can be.

i'm one of those junkies who would want you to make a new one so i can have that one more number. not just the number itself but the fun of going out and using my $600 gps/pda for some thing more than work. even if it means going some where i have already been, especially if it's an easy to get to or a nice place to visit.

but i also so one recently that the owner placed it and posted the wrong coords. i logged a dnf and said it couldn't be the right coords because it put you in the median of the road. the owner checked and saw it was about 5 miles off. (they typed the wrong number some where) so they archived it remade a new oneexactly the same.

I had a micro get muggled, so I made a new one, the same type and everything and moved it a little away to a better location.

A couple weeks later, I had a regular size cache disappear and new the same type would just disappear again, so I changed it to a micro, moved it to a new location about 150-200 feet away and totally changed the type of hide. I got a note from our reviewer, who said in that case, since it's basically a whole new idea and hide, it's better to disable the original and create a new one. They also said it allows those that found the original an opportunity to find this new one now.

If it's the same basic hide, I would update the coordinates. You can ask your reviewer, though to see what they think.

A couple other thoughts:

• Would the replacement cache and the revised description seem familiar to someone who found the original cache? The original is part of their geocaching history.
  • Would someone who found the original cache need to search for the replacement cache in any meaningful way? Would they really need to "find it" again?

I've only been doing this for 6 months, but I've learned that quite a few people go in without reading the description or logs and don't bring it with them either. They know they're taking a risk, so they seem not to mind having to widen their search. But if it's a dangerous or off-limits spot, it would be best to archive and start over. We had that situation recently with a cache that was too close to wasp nests. EVERYONE went in on the old co-ords because the old co-ords load into the GPSr when you run your query.

...If you are having muggle trouble, you may want to make it an "offset" cache, where folks get to the site and then have to do some simple mental/mathematical gymnastics to find the final hiding spot.

I know a lot of people would call that simple offset a kind of multi-cache, but isn't it in fact a puzzle cache if there's anything more complex than the next set of coordinates at the intermediate steps?
update the coords. doesn't seem to be that much of a move.

Correct.

If you are having muggle trouble, you may want to make it an "offset" cache, where folks get to the site and then have to do some simple mental/mathematical gymnastics to find the final hiding spot.

That's a different type of cache altogether. The cache owner would need to archive the listing and submit a new one.