Aushiker Personal Coin - Preliminary Thoughts

Aushiker

G'day

I am looking into getting minted a personal coin which will be reflective of my New Zealand/Australian hertigate. My thoughts where to go with a coin which is has a silver ferm on a black background (NZ symbol) and the generic Aushiker icon on the back with wording related to being trackable at Geocaching.com, my personal website link and Geocaching since July 2004.

Talking to Landsharkz, they suggest a two-tone plating of polished nickel on the side with the leaf (so it shines silver) with black hard enamel paint behind. The second sidewould be polished gold plating with 2 colours for your logo (gold and green reflective of Australia's colours and the logo I use).

The proposed coin would be 1.5" in diameter and 3 mm thick and trackable at Geocaching.com with its own logo, the generic hiker symbol.

I am look at a mint of 250 with a portion being sold at pretty much cost (estimate around US$6.50 to $7.00) plus postage.

Do we think the two colour schemes (silver/black on one side, green/gold) on the other will work? Other comments?

Thanks

Andrew

The POW coin attempts two-tone having one side of the coin nickel and the other side gold. I don't much care for it.

Rather than painting the leaf side black, maybe you could just have it gold like what you propose on side two of the coin. The leaf can still be silver raised metal on the front.

Rather than painting the leaf side black, maybe you could just have it gold like what you propose on side two of the coin. The leaf can still be silver raised metal on the front.

Thanks for your comments. The black is very important ... the Silver Fern on black is the "New Zealand" emblem. To remove it would mean death :wub: .

Go the mighty All Blacks.

Regards

Andrew

Thanks for your comments. The black is very important ... the Silver Fern on black is the "New Zealand" emblem. To remove it would mean death :cry: .

Go the mighty All Blacks.

Regards

Andrew

I agree!!! The blending of the Aussie and Kiwi cultures should be reflected in your coin. I feel that what you are proposing in your coin would just reflect what is often experience down under, that is that Australia and New Zealand are separate countries that are bound by location, culture, co-operation etc , but are still often seen as one identity! So the idea of having two contrasting sides of your coin would be appropriate.

We think your coin design sounds great and are definitely going to get one for our new collection.

Best of luck :wub:

P.S. If you were going to entertain the idea of a Wallaby and the silver fern, of course after the rugby result in the weekend the fern would have to be on top :wub:

It sounds like a striking design, but we would have to see the art work to really comment. Any chance of posting pictures of the art work? :wub:

Sorry still to early for that. Will post it when it becomes available assuming I go with this. Still weighing up the cost.

Andrew

It sounds like a striking design, but we would have to see the art work to really comment. Any chance of posting pictures of the art work? :laughing:

Sorry still to early for that. Will post it when it becomes available assuming I go with this. Still weighing up the cost.

Never too early to show the preliminary artwork. Take a look through other threads in this forum; you'll see a number of them started by someone asking for thoughts on a design. Sometimes the final design is quite different from the original, sometimes not, but they almost always start with posting a design concept. When someone asks for thoughts from others, it is a lot easier to get a sense of the design when we can see it :laughing: We promise that we won't laugh or anything like that! :laughing:

It sounds like a striking design, but we would have to see the art work to really comment. Any chance of posting pictures of the art work? :laughing:

Never too early to show the preliminary artwork. Take a look through other threads in this forum; you'll see a number of them started by someone asking for thoughts on a design. Sometimes the final design is quite different from the original, sometimes not, but they almost always start with posting a design concept. When someone asks for thoughts from others, it is a lot easier to get a sense of the design when we can see it :laughing: We promise that we won't laugh or anything like that! :laughing:

Ditto to that good advice :o Some of my favorite designs have been good ideas improved by community input. Parents of SAM is still one of my favorite threads as you can watch the entire process in chronological order from an idea to a finished coin that really rocks. :)

It sounds like a striking design, but we would have to see the art work to really comment. Any chance of posting pictures of the art work? :)

Ditto to that good advice :o Some of my favorite designs have been good ideas improved by community input. Parents of SAM is still one of my favorite threads as you can watch the entire process in chronological order from an idea to a finished coin that really rocks. :D

:laughing::D Thank you! :D:D :D :D

I agree that it is easier to give design input when there is some kind of preliminary artwork for everyone to look at. Our coin would not be near as cool as it is except for the advise of the great folks here in this forum.

Edited by ParentsofSAM

G'day

The design has now been completed. My thanks to TeamGunnParker for busting his gut on this one for me. Next step is to get the tracking numbers and icon approved and then off to China for minting.

The design is tgp-concept_6.jpg

and the proposed icon is

32x32.gif

This design reflects one side my Kiwi nationality and my following of the greatest rugby team in the world, the All Blacks and on the other side my Australain nationality (I have dual citzernship), my passion for bushwalking (and geocaching of course) and the sporting colours of Australia, green and gold.

The proposed icon is a silver fern on a black background.

Comments welcome.

Regards

Andrew

Nice design, I like the simplicity.

One thing about the icon, you also have to think how it'll look as a 16x16 icon. And instead of the square, how about a round icon like this:

aushiker32x32.jpg

aushiker16x16.jpg

The 16x16's detail is still hard to see but it could be edited to make it a little clearer.

I would suggest that you swap the green and gold colours around or perhaps consider having the writing on that side in black or green as the writing blends in too much into the gold background.

I would go the option of having the writing in green - in my book the Aussie colours are green on a gold background and that combination should not be tampered with. (go Wallabies! :anicute: )

I like this - will the fern be white or silver - silver would be good?

Jacinta

Have you chosen a metal? That may help the colour of the writing. Maybe the green can come from the burnished copper look that might reflect the Kiwi currency value :anicute:

the greatest rugby team in the world, the All Blacks

:P

No comment. Except that I had to clean up my spilt tea.

Mail will be sent tomorrow.

Have you chosen a metal? That may help the colour of the writing. Maybe the green can come from the burnished copper look that might reflect the Kiwi currency value :)

Not as yet Belken. That is something I can look into once the design is finalised and get to serious chat with the minter.

Thanks for the feedback.

Andrew

G'day

I have pulled the initial draft images of the coin. TeamGunnParker has been working hard on further improvements to the design including listening to you folks. Once we have what we hope is the final design, one that reflects my design concept, including a graphic image of me (that is scary) we will repost the images.

From that I will move to the next stages, getting an icon approved, tracking numbers and then off to minting.

Details to follow.

Thanks for your input

Andrew

Edited by Aushiker

G'day

Team Gunn Parker have done quite a bit more work on the design taking into consideration your feedback and some ideas we had to improve my orginal design idea. We think we are pretty close to wrapping up the design. We do appreciate all the feedback we have received. Hope you all like the design.

I would like to also thank Team Gunn Parker for all their efforts on this one. Has consumed a lot of Andrew's time!

Aushiker-Personal-Forum-1.3.jpg

32x32.gif and 16x16.gif

Feedback is welcome.

Regards

Andrew