A Euro basemap for a US model?

I came across this thread this morning in the hardware forum. The first link takes you to the details, and the next one takes you to the file.

Snip text ---

1. Create a new subdirectory "basemap" below your MapSource installation. Normally is this c:\garmin. Thus create c:\garmin\basemap.

2. Unzip the ZIP file to this new created subdirectory c:\garmin\basemap.

3. Edit the paths in "atlantic.reg" accordingly to your MapSource installation.

4. Add the contents of "atlantic.reg" to your registry (double click).

Attention:

The paths in the reg file must be edited accordingly to on your MapSource installation.

If you do not, there will an registry error when starting MapSource.

Now you have in MapSource a new map entry "basemap" for the Basemap. You can transfer this now together with other map tiles (also possible to add tiles from different maps, for example topos, city-select, city-navigator, metroguide, ...) to your GPS unit.

We are not responsible for any damage / data loss and we provide no Support.

-- End snip

Well, I've downloaded the file and it looks a lot like the way the free topo files are implemented. unfortunately my GPSr is out on load at the moment, but this sounds interesting.

Comments?

I am using them on my Garming 60CSx while not very detailed they will at least show you that you might have to climb a mountain from the car park to find a geocache.

Its good enough for me until I can afford the over priced more detailed TOPO map from Garmin.

I am using them on my Garming 60CSx while not very detailed they will at least show you that you might have to climb a mountain from the car park to find a geocache.

Its good enough for me until I can afford the over priced more detailed TOPO map from Garmin.

I suspect that you probably don't actually need Topo maps to indicate that you've got a hill to climb.... usually they're quite obvious :D

I've got City Navigator maps on my 60CSx because I just happened to have a spare unlock code for them but as I don't actually use it for road navigation it's just a bit of luxury and quite superfluous really. Generally, the only time I use the map page on the 60 (or it Legend predecessor, come to that) was to look at the 'track' I've followed to the reach the cache and see if I could follow a more direct route back to where ever I left the car and the base map is quite adequate for that, as there are quite often no roads shown anyway. If the Garmin Topo maps were full O.S. detail with all the footpaths, bridleways etc shown then I might just pay the not inconsiderable number of our fine British quids that they're asking for it. But as they don't, and as I said, I generally know when I'm walking up hill, I'll not bother.

Comments?

Why bother? The detail on the basemaps is worse than useless.

a.

(and just a tip. This forum is for quizzes and word games. Please don't clutter it with posts about geocaching.)

For example, the US basemap shows my Egyptian hotel as 2 miles out to sea, whereas the Euro one shows the road past it and the airport in the right place. Example 2, I'm off to Corfu again in a couple of weeks and my old GPS had the airport and the main roads on it plus the Greek / Albainian border was in the right place and the big cities named - non of this appears on my US centric basemap. (and Metroguide only manages Athens)

Neither of these are big deals, and I certainly don't regret the £100 odd quid I saved getting a US basemap, but it would be nice to have. Just wondered if anyone else had tried it.

Ah. word games :o

Funnily enough I have been trying to get a concise definintion of sublimation (in terms of chemical state changes) today without much luck, so today's word is s-u-b-l-i-m-a-t-i-o-n :D

Edited by Boardslider