Geocoin logging

dawgs

Happens all the time on mine. I think it is great as it gives the next person a chance to see the coin as well. The one place I do draw the line is event caches. Getting a coin (or TB for that matter) passed around at an event is not the same to me as finds happening out at actual caches. At least for the cache, they had to do actual caching to find it!

The one place I do draw the line is event caches. Getting a coin (or TB for that matter) passed around at an event is not the same to me as finds happening out at actual caches. At least for the cache, they had to do actual caching to find it!

How about this scenario:

When somebody posts their "will attend" to an event cache, they also announce that they will be carrying certain coins (or TBs) with them. Now, to discover those coins and get the icon, an attendee would have to seek out that person and actually talk to them to score the icons.

I think that is a great way to encourage people to meet-and-mingle some more at events, especially large ones.

I agree with dano :ph34r: At a small pizza event, it's no big deal to have a few coins available for others to look at, as there often are only a dozen or so there. But at a picnic, yeah, make them put a little work into it!

As for discovering a coin in a cache, it's a great thing, and I really appreciate that GC added that function ;) It's especially neat for geocoin "vaults" (same idea as a TB Hotel), where there might be a half-dozen or more coins. Don't want to be greedy and take them all, but still want a personal memento of them.

The one place I do draw the line is event caches. Getting a coin (or TB for that matter) passed around at an event is not the same to me as finds happening out at actual caches. At least for the cache, they had to do actual caching to find it!

How about this scenario:

When somebody posts their "will attend" to an event cache, they also announce that they will be carrying certain coins (or TBs) with them. Now, to discover those coins and get the icon, an attendee would have to seek out that person and actually talk to them to score the icons.

I think that is a great way to encourage people to meet-and-mingle some more at events, especially large ones.

Hmmmm...I like this. I may have to alter my wording on the travelers. :anitongue:

Happens all the time on mine. I think it is great as it gives the next person a chance to see the coin as well. The one place I do draw the line is event caches. Getting a coin (or TB for that matter) passed around at an event is not the same to me as finds happening out at actual caches. At least for the cache, they had to do actual caching to find it!

Hi!

I sometimes do that when i know i will not have time to go geocaching in the next 2 or 3 weeks. It happened that i took some coins and TB´s and then i dont have the chance to place them as soon as i wish and have to keep them for a little more time than i wish. In that case, is better to leave them for the next geocacher that can realy help.

As for event caches, you can always put a "No Events please" note in the TB page and attached to the TB. The majority of geocachers that i know respect that.

Regards

AS

How about this scenario:

I agree there...I carry a coin in my "log book" (where I keep track of my geocaching adventures) and then maybe one or two in my pocket or something. I'll share & show them to anyone who wants them, but they've gotta talk to me or eat with me or go find a group cache with me or something to see them. I've found several others who do similarly. It's kinda fun.