Newbie: Garmin GPSMAP 60Csx vs. Magellan eXplorist 600

thornomad

Hello everyone,

Need a recommendation on what unit to buy (that's the simple part -- you can skip the rest if you want).

I am new here, new to GPS, new to GeoCaching ... new to about everything in fact. Feel a little overwhelmed with all the decisions I need to make; however, I am basically looking for advice as to which device would suit me best. Let me give you a little background about what I would like to have ...

I originally starting looking at GPS units for my car a few years ago because I drive to new locations daily for my job and I am tired of looking at maps. However, I wasn't interested in spending $1,000 ... now, obviously, prices have come down somewhat.

The other day, I went on a bike trip, and when I returned I used my friends Nat. Geo. TOPO software to chart our route (by hand) and then examine how many feet climbed, etc. I was enthralled. It was very exciting to see and I thought, immediately, that it would have been great to simply bring a GPS unit with me and then load it all into the computer. Same for hiking, camping, kayaking, etc. Sounded fun.

Thus began my quest for a handheld unit; I new they were cheaper (seen then form sub-$100 just to track the route) but as I read more, I found that some of them can do regular "car" mapping as well. Suddenly, I had the idea that I could kill two birds with one stone: get a unit that I could use most often in the car, and take with me biking and hiking and whatnot as well.

EMS highly recommends Garmin products, that's all they sell. I have only seen the Magellan units online (and their website is far superior and made me want to get one). Obviously Magellan is a lot cheaper, too. But seems that some people claim they are sub-par compared to Garmin, and I would hate to spend all that money on map software and then get a crappy product.

I have scoured (I think) the web looking for good comparisons and reviews but I can't find much.

So: any thoughts on what unit is best ? And: Will either one be useful in the car as well ?

Thank you thank you thank you in advance!

-D

Both Garmin and Magellan are great units (I have both). The only thing I'm not liking about the Explorist is that it does not take AA batteries. This makes it tough if you are out in the woods and the battery dies. The 60csx is an excellent unit that you would be very happy with. Just understand that with whatever you choose you will need to fork out around $100 for the mapping software.

Hi, thank you for your suggestions ... I did shoot over to the other forum quickly (and performed a couple searches) but I couldn't find the post you mentioned (or Robert Lipes's comparison) ... couldn't find it on google either. Sorry!

Do you know where it is ?

Thanks,

D

If you want a unit to use in your car for autorouting get the Garmin. Their software is much better than Magellan's.

Also, Magellan's rep for customer support is abysmal. Though the eXplorist units are fine units, you had better hope you don't have problems with the unit.

moving to appropriate forum

Both Garmin and Magellan are great units (I have both). The only thing I'm not liking about the Explorist is that it does not take AA batteries. This makes it tough if you are out in the woods and the battery dies. The 60csx is an excellent unit that you would be very happy with. Just understand that with whatever you choose you will need to fork out around $100 for the mapping software.

actually, there is an adapter that lets you use AAA batteries now in the explorist line.

Own the 600 now, but if I was just starting out all over again, I would have to go with the Garmin... :P

If you want something that does a better job in the car have a look at the eXplorist XL. I went through a lengthy evaluation of units, was going to by the Garmin 60cx, but then I went to a local store that had pretty much all the Garmin & Magellan units. The 3.5 inch screen on the XL is vastly superior for auto nav to the tiny Garmin & other Magellan screens. It also takes AA batteries (4 mind you, but better than a custom battery brick). And it was $150 cheaper than the Garmin.

I have the Magellan street routing software & I have no problems with it. I can't compare to Garmin on that, but it does everything I ask of it & has a pretty good database of points of interest.

I took the support into consideration as well, but I have an old Magellan 2000XL that still works like a charm, even after being shelved for a few years. Just not as feature rich as the new units. :huh:

I don't expect everyone to come to the same decision I did, but you really should compare the units in hand before deciding.

I have a 60csx and i would not choose any other GPS at this point in time. The accuarcy and fast responce times are awsome. It even works in my house!!!

Apples to apples - the eXplorist XL is wickedly accurate - I've been geocaching for a few months now & have always been standing on top of the cache when it says I am. Outdoors I consistently get 8-12 satelites locked regardless of tree cover, and in my house I get 4-6, enough for a 3D fix (a main floor inside room with no windows).

the eXplorist XL is wickedly accurate - I've been geocaching for a few months now & have always been standing on top of the cache when it says I am.

Wouldn't that have to say that everybody's GPSrs are wickedly accurate too? After all, they supplied the coordinates that put you right on top of the cache. :laughing:

the eXplorist XL is wickedly accurate - I've been geocaching for a few months now & have always been standing on top of the cache when it says I am.

Wouldn't that have to say that everybody's GPSrs are wickedly accurate too? After all, they supplied the coordinates that put you right on top of the cache. :)

:) At least the ones used to create the cache in the first place. :D

I'm in pretty much the same position as thornomad -- deciding between a Garmin GPSMAP 60CSX or a Magellan eXplorist XL (rather than a 600). The advantages of the 60CSX are the electronic compass and barometer as well as the more rugged body and better battery life however, the units have pretty much identical features and the screen size and somewhat lower price of the eXplorist XL are enticing.

I'm leaning toward getting the Garmin but my biggest concern is the navigation software. I would like to use one of these units for car navigation fairly often so I want a unit that can show me clear, detailed maps with efficient routing. I have heard mixed reports regarding Garmin's CityNavigator and Magellan's DirectRoute softwares and I've been unable to find many/any photos of navigation software running on either gps unit.

Can anyone who has used either CityNavigator or DirectRoute comment on ease of use, map accuracy, and map readability? I'd also be nice to also see a few photos of the software in action. :D

Magellan vs. Garmin Autorouting - Must Read (Garmin is better)

Dated review of Magellan MapSend DirectRoute

More recent review of DirectRoute v3 (v2 is better)

Pushing autorouting to the extreme

I've only used DirectRoute v2 on my eXplorist 400. I'm satisified with it. It was pretty easy to grab a chunk of map and throw it on the receiver. It seems like Garmin releases new maps more often than Magellan, like yearly (Garmin) versus whenever (Magellan). If autorouting is your primary concern, I'd go with the Garmin.

Gonna throw my 2 cents worth in here. I'm a newbie myself. You will get a TON of recomendations from these guys and most of them will be great and spot on....for the way that THEY Geocache and the MONEY that they can spend. One of the first things that you have to figure out is how much money you can really afford AND how much technoligy you want in your GPS. Once you have that done figure out which unit gives you the most bang for YOUR BUCK the way YOU want to GC. I really wanted a color screen. Couldn't afford it (without waiting for another 2 monthes) so I went with black and white. I dont see where I'm missing anything by not having color. I read all the "Which model should I get" threads I could find, did some research on the models in my price range and ended up with an Explorist 400. Then I went in search of a deal. Found one. Got the GPS (green), belt clip case, MapSend Topo 3D, USB and charger cables, rechargable battery and SD Card for $279. The only thing I didn't get is the battery clip that allows you to use regular batteries. It does everything that I need it to do and still has some capabilities that I haven't explored yet.

I have had just about every incarnation of GPS known to man. (I love toys) And can truly say, without a doubt the Garmin 60csx is THE best GPSr I have ever owned or used. There is nothing wrong with the eXplorist line per se. They do well under tree cover and are generally good receivers. However the difference here is, the 60csx does GREAT under tree cover and is generally an AWESOME receiver. The features are great and the price is falling. What more could you ask for? In closing, I will say this. You will NOT be sorry you bought the Magellan, however I think you will be happier with the purchase of the Garmin. Hope this and the other posts helps you.

Hi: I wouold say that no matter which you go for, Magellan or Garmin, in general you will get a good unit that does the job. In these forums you will find groups of people that are strong Garmin supporters, and groups of people that are strong Magellan supporters. There have been long back and forth debates from supporters of each, and I doubt very much that the arguments are going to stop any time soon. You can look for these arguments for and against both Magellan and Garmin in the archives of these forums. Then there are the people, like me, that like them both. Chevy, or Ford, they both do the job. I have owned several Magellans, and own a Magellan eXplorist 400 at the moment. I also have the adapter for it that allows me to use three AAA's if I wish. Having the option to use either the rechargable, or AAA's is great. I use the rechargable when I go out, but keep the adapter loaded with fresh Duracells in the case on my belt ready to go if I need them. I also own a Garmin Geko 201, that for its size and what I want it to do, is a fantastic little GPSr. I like them both. Wouldn't want to give up either of them.

Just do your research on them, don't rush out out and the the first one you think you will like, decide what you need it to do now, and what you might want to use it for later, and then decide. And have fun. :)

I have both the 60Cx and eXplorist XL.

Map60Cx:

Pros: Display up to 20 saved tracks that show up on the map screen, and in different colors if need be, and an excellent Trip Computer Screen with lots of info, like Time Stopped, Time Moving, and Total Time.

Cons: Small map screen, can't save tracks and waypoint files to memory card, also map screen too tiny for proper autorouting.

----------------------------------------------------

eXplorist XL:

Pros: 320x240 pixel screen, and nice map screen when data fields are turned off, and an ability to move Waypoints(POI) from one file to another, and you can move tracks from folder to folder.

Cons: Can't display multiple saved tracks on the screen, for reference, and no Trip Timer(why is that?), also the Compass page is not as good as on the Map60Cx.

Edited by GOT GPS?