Geo Manners

Sierra Rat

Just curious, if you arrive at a cache site and another cacher is searching the site, is it appropriate to search the site also or should you leave and come back later to search? I live in a rural area so I don't run into too many other cachers, but I did the other day and was wondering which approach is appropriate.

Just curious, if you arrive at a cache site and another cacher is searching the site, is it appropriate to search the site also or should you leave and come back later to search? I live in a rural area so I don't run into too many other cachers, but I did the other day and was wondering which approach is appropriate.

One approach would be to hide in the bushes before they see you and jump out at them as they are approaching.... ;)B):D

One approach would be to hide in the bushes before they see you and jump out at them as they are approaching.... ;)B):D

If it's one of those FTF maniacs you see... jump in and beat them to the cache as best you can. Lie, steal, cheat if need be... but beat them to it!!

On a more positive note... I'm always happy to meet another cacher when I'm out looking for a cache. If your really sure if they are a cacher in the middle of the search, ask them if they mind if you join the search. They may not mind, and may enjoy the company. I would suggest that if you do find it before they do, step away from the area and inform them that you have found it, but you are waiting for them to also find it before you sign the logs. That way you both get to enjoy the rush of the find. But if you find that they are one of the FTF maniacs when you meet, the rules I've stated above apply.