Geopost Office

I saw this thread on GeoPost Office and created the first one in UK couple of weeks ago here. It's been quite popular, and i would love to see more spring up in the UK so we can have a network of GeoPost Offices around the UK!

When i made the cache, I also made it a motorway mayhem so that a) it'll get seen more when people are searching for motorway mayhems and :laughing: easier for travelling people to get to.

All the details of what a GeoPost Office is is in the thread and my cache page, but if you have any questions, please ask away! also new suggestions of how this can be run would be greatly appriciated.

postcard.jpg

I am definately up for this. I love novelty post cards so am going to set one up with a selection to choose. It is even going to be near my local Post Office which is a great place as it never has any queues. Thank you for this idea, well spotted.

Small problem: never met any other cachers in the flesh......how do I know who to send one to and where?

Edited by Fiona Eliza & Florence

Small problem: never met any other cachers in the flesh......how do I know who to send one to and where?

on the address, you put the cacher's name and their local cache name (rough geographical location also helps). then the person moving it will have a good idea of what area it needs to head towards without having to look up where the destination cache is. When you move it, the person can email the post card reciver to let them know where it is, as they may even be able to collected for themselves :laughing: I usually address it to a cache they own, on the assumption that they are able to get to them as owners!

hope this clears it up :laughing:

Is there a specific word that should be in the title of the cache, and what should the cache contain?

there's no strict rules as to the above questions, although common sense would say that you should have "GeoPost Office" somewhere in the cache title. mine is called "Preston GeoPost Office (Motorway Mayhem M6 J31)" long winded by it'll get picked up on searches done for both "geopost office" and "motorway mayhem".

as for the container, the ones in USA and canada seems strictly post cards and TBs only, but I've just made a normal cache with all the swags. The only difference between the normal cache and my one is that it has some blank postcards, and also a bag labeled "to send" so people know where to look for cards to possibly move on. oh and also permanent markers for people to write on the cards with (although i don't think anyone has yet, they keep taking the post cards home to fill out..... must check to see if they have dropped it off in the cache... :( )

But back on topic... it sounds like a cool idea. It's a shame we can't get a new icon for the cache!

Is there a specific word that should be in the title of the cache, and what should the cache contain?

Most of the ones in the Maritimes where it started are called something like this:

<place name> Geo-Post Office

Where Geo-Post is hyphenated, although there are some varients such as Geo-Post Office/Geopost Office/geo-post office/bureau de geoposte. You can find lists of the existing ones here:

:

1. Geo-Post Offices by zonker & co
  2. Geo-Post Offices website by robich & le tigre
  3. GeoPost Office by ACE226
  4. TB Hotels & Geo-Post Office by GeoSlyCa

The most common wording seems to be that used by zonker & co:

This is a Geo-Post Office

It is used to swap letters and postcards between geocachers!

Here is how it works:

Caches are placed to hold postcards. Each postcard will have a short message and a forwarding address on it. The address will contain the person's name that you are trying to send the postcard to, their home city, and a destination cache. The idea is to move postcards between Geo-Post Offices until they reach their destination. When you move a postcard or message from one place to another, let the person who it's being sent to know where you moved it to, because they might be near enough to go and pick it up. If you move a postcard from one Geo-Post Office to another, please move it closer to the city or cache!

You can use the following picture as a guide to the format to use when writing up a postcard address.

3e1d003e-eade-4894-9c4d-7112de3c0513.jpg

Edited by Jango & Boba Fett

I completed a FTF on the World Cache - UK and the FTF prize were pre-paid postcards to all my teammates in Germany, Australia, US and Canada. The latter asking for his postcard to be sent by Geomail.

I have not dropped it off anywhere yet to try the system but was thinking of starting it off this weekend.

Does anyone know if I have to use a Geopost cache or can I just drop it into any cache and treat it like a TB ?

:sad:

gazooks, I think you can put it in any cache, as long as it fits the card!

I had a discussion with another cacher last night about what a geopost office can offer, that's different from other caches, and conculded for either a original postcard for the post office (such as one offered in my cache), and/or a post office stamp (like location and cache code or something) that people can stamp their post cards with.

also i think when i make the new batch of postcards, I will mark it on the back to say that the cachers who moves the postcards can sign their name on it so that it shows a track of who helped it move.

Well, I took Miss butterfly's advise and attempted to 'post' the postcard (in protective ziplok bag) into one of eight caches I did yesterday..... sadly none of them were big enough to fit the card in.... :D even the so called regular sized ones!! :)

I'll have to try another time - looking for ammobox described caches me thinks... :D

there's no strict rules as to the above questions, although common sense would say that you should have "GeoPost Office" somewhere in the cache title. mine is called "Preston GeoPost Office (Motorway Mayhem M6 J31)" long winded by it'll get picked up on searches done for both "geopost office" and "motorway mayhem".

as for the container, the ones in USA and canada seems strictly post cards and TBs only, but I've just made a normal cache with all the swags. The only difference between the normal cache and my one is that it has some blank postcards, and also a bag labeled "to send" so people know where to look for cards to possibly move on. oh and also permanent markers for people to write on the cards with (although i don't think anyone has yet, they keep taking the post cards home to fill out..... must check to see if they have dropped it off in the cache... ;) )

Picked up one card out of the box, heading for Chester, and dropped it in the Ice Palace, which is enroute. Emailed the anticipated recipient. Really enjoyed the GeoPost Office!

Picked up one card out of the box, heading for Chester, and dropped it in the Ice Palace, which is enroute. Emailed the anticipated recipient. Really enjoyed the GeoPost Office!

thanks for picking one up, as far as i know, you're the first person to move a postcard along ;) shall pay a visit to the cache this week to see how it is :D