Suction Mounts

jackrr

I was going to purchase Garmins Auto Navigation Kit but after reading the posts in this forum about mounting choices I kind of think that the suction cup system might be the best for me. I have a 76csx and it appears that Garmin doesnt make a suction mount for it, so I have been looking at RAM systems. Does anyone have any opinions on what might be better, their suction mount with a ridged socket arm or with the 6" flex arm? Any comments on whether their screen magnifier would be a worthwhile purchase?

I was going to purchase Garmins Auto Navigation Kit but after reading the posts in this forum about mounting choices I kind of think that the suction cup system might be the best for me. I have a 76csx and it appears that Garmin doesnt make a suction mount for it, so I have been looking at RAM systems. Does anyone have any opinions on what might be better, their suction mount with a ridged socket arm or with the 6" flex arm? Any comments on whether their screen magnifier would be a worthwhile purchase?

Some of us use the RAM mounts...the suction base one is what I have, had it for a few years and never a problem.

Garmen%20RAM07.jpg

Edited by Dirtnapper

Some of us use the RAM mounts...the suction base one is what I have, had it for a few years and never a problem.

How well does the suction cup hold onto the windshield? I've also been thinking about getting something like this, but have this fear that it'll keep falling off. ;)

Scott

I'd get the solid bar rather than then flexible arm. Once you get it adjusted, it will always stay right where you want it.

I thought about that as well. But I suspect that if I go anywhere that involves my wife accompanying me in the truck, she'll want to see the GPSr occasionally, and the flexible arm looks easier to move around. <_<

Scott

How well does the suction cup hold onto the windshield? I've also been thinking about getting something like this, but have this fear that it'll keep falling off. :blink:

Scott

Does this answer your question?

ram9rq.png

Actually it doesn't...the forces that customized the front of your vehicle acted on the GPSR and mount in such a manner that it was pressed into the glass... <_<:blink::ph34r:

Actually it doesn't...the forces that customized the front of your vehicle acted on the GPSR and mount in such a manner that it was pressed into the glass... :blink:<_<:blink:

I'm just glad I wasn't pressed into the glass. Actually the Blazer was parked, and I was about 15' away when it got slammed by a big hotel shuttle van.

I utterly TRASHED my 76 series using that RAM cradle. After only 8 months and 600 or so caches (and a 6 state trip) I had put the thing into and taken it out of that cradle so many times that the rubber on the outside of my 76 series was destroyed.

I got a Garmin adapter and connected a genuine Garmin cradle to my RAM mount and I'm much happier now. I also replaced that flex arm with one of the suction mounted solid adjustable arm setups from RAM. I broke two of the flex arms in 8 months by readjusting it from fitting my truck, my wife's car, and the passenger side of my wife's car. Each position needed the arm to be re-flexed and the things just wore out. RAM makes other suction mounts that are awesome and, using the Garmin cradle adapter and the Garmin cradle, I don't think I'll have the problems I had before.

[Edit]

The above posters are right about the sticking power of the suction cup but......... make sure you CLEAN the windshield first. Otherwise you won't get good adherence.

Edited by Thrak

I got a Garmin adapter and connected a genuine Garmin cradle to my RAM mount and I'm much happier now. I also replaced that flex arm with one of the suction mounted solid adjustable arm setups from RAM. I broke two of the flex arms in 8 months by readjusting it from fitting my truck, my wife's car, and the passenger side of my wife's car. Each position needed the arm to be re-flexed and the things just wore out. RAM makes other suction mounts that are awesome and, using the Garmin cradle adapter and the Garmin cradle, I don't think I'll have the problems I had before.

Gee, I just decided that the flex arm would be my best bet and now I read this. Dirtnapper how has your experience with the flex arm been? Do you wish you had the solid arm instead? :)

I utterly TRASHED my 76 series using that RAM cradle. After only 8 months and 600 or so caches (and a 6 state trip) I had put the thing into and taken it out of that cradle so many times that the rubber on the outside of my 76 series was destroyed.

[Edit]

The above posters are right about the sticking power of the suction cup but......... make sure you CLEAN the windshield first. Otherwise you won't get good adherence.

I'm confused on the Garmin adaptor. I like the Ram suction mount but certainly don't want to screw up the rubber on my new 76CSx. Which Garmin adaptor are you talking about? Is it one that Garmin sells or is it a Ram product?

Thanks

Gee, I just decided that the flex arm would be my best bet and now I read this. Dirtnapper how has your experience with the flex arm been? Do you wish you had the solid arm instead? ;)

I just got the flex arm yesterday for my eXplorist. It's much stiffer than I expected it to be. I can see how constant readjusting it might wear it out. For my purposes, it should work well.

Scott

I'm confused on the Garmin adaptor. I like the Ram suction mount but certainly don't want to screw up the rubber on my new 76CSx. Which Garmin adaptor are you talking about? Is it one that Garmin sells or is it a Ram product?

The "Garmin adapter" is made by RAM - it's the RAM-HOL-GA11U Garmin Attachment Connector. It allows you to take the cradle from a Garmin-manufactured automobile navigation kit and connect it to RAM-manufactured components. Basically it's a little widget with a RAM diamond-plate on one end for connecting up to RAM gear, and a sort of U-shaped section at the other end that you can hook your Garmin cradle to:

ramholga11.jpg

I recently posted a few pictures of a rig that included this adapter over in the Ram Mounts: How Do They Work? topic. (See post #18)

I believe the cradle that Thrak had a bad experience with was the RAM RAM-HOL-GA14U Cradle, which looks like this:

ramholga6.jpg

Unlike the Garmin version of the 76-series cradle, where the GPSr slides in from the top and held in place by gravity and friction, the RAM 76-series cradle has your spread apart the lower tabs and slide the GPSr in from the bottom, with the GPSr held in place on all sides. I haven't used the RAM cradle, so I can't speak to its ease of use or how it might chew up the rubber portions of the GPSr.

My Garmin Dash mount kit for my 60CS has broken 4 times now. They are not made to remove and replace the unit 9000+ times. They seem ok if you intend on leaving the unit in them forever.

The little clip you press to release the Garmin, from the slide in mount, crack from fatigue (poor design and material).