Junk In Caches - Vent

I've seen people say a beanie worth $20-$30 dollars, or a hand made craft which if sold would probably be worth $40-$50 is not a quality item (in my cache in particular). Where a $1 lazer pointer from the dollar store is a gold mine and quality item. I found a feather that someone picked off the ground in a cache. Still have it to this day.

I think too much emphasis is placed on what's in the cache. More should be placed on where the cache is and the find itself. Personally I ignore all this trade up, trade even. Since there is no way to gauge it. I pretty much trade on personal value and size these days. Screw the rest! :laughing:

Here's and idea... Let's just put only travel bugs, and coins in the caches and be done with it. :rolleyes:

I totally hear you on this topic. Both the wife and I spend time in the dollar store picking out cool little trninkets and fun little puzzles and things to place in our caches only to find caches filled with scouring pads, ear plugs and other useless and throw away items. I take the time to make cool FTF & STF certificates only to find crap caches when we go to new ones.

We have only recently started Geocaching and find this to be one of our pet peeves about the sport. People will rush out and throw whatever they don't want in a container just to place a cache. No theme or thought involved. ARGGGGG!!!

1st post and I am guilty, however that will be corrected. I guess we went with what we saw and figured people were leaving things that had a personal value. My son is a big time collector of lego blocks and he carried along a few to drop, I didn't see an issue with that as to my son those are gold pieces. I guess after reading this I should explain to him that we should get new items to leave. My daughter on the other hand at 17 has became active in the fight for cancer and left what she valued a small breast cancer awareness pin. After reading this accept my appologies and we will step it up. I will say that there was a few interesting items in our first day out, but the things we took were as follows on the first drop daughter dropped a breast cancer awareness pin and son picked up what he thought was the coolest 1" dino that looked like it came from a bubblegum machine. At the next we took nothing however there was nice things in the box including a very sharp looking large swiss army looking multitool, and a set of small screw drivers that I could use. My son however said he was still leaving his lego because he wanted the next kid to find it and make something cool with it. At the next stop it was a micro and it had a parking coin in it that was gold in color but my son thought it was cool and he left what he thought was a match a quarter. But I guess after reading all this I will make a trip and fill a bag with goodies. I will say however that the cache itself wasn't the fun my family was looking for, but rather the time together.

WeCampToo

1st post and I am guilty, however that will be corrected. I guess we went with what we saw and figured people were leaving things that had a personal value. My son is a big time collector of lego blocks and he carried along a few to drop, I didn't see an issue with that as to my son those are gold pieces. I guess after reading this I should explain to him that we should get new items to leave. My daughter on the other hand at 17 has became active in the fight for cancer and left what she valued a small breast cancer awareness pin. After reading this accept my appologies and we will step it up. I will say that there was a few interesting items in our first day out, but the things we took were as follows on the first drop daughter dropped a breast cancer awareness pin and son picked up what he thought was the coolest 1" dino that looked like it came from a bubblegum machine. At the next we took nothing however there was nice things in the box including a very sharp looking large swiss army looking multitool, and a set of small screw drivers that I could use. My son however said he was still leaving his lego because he wanted the next kid to find it and make something cool with it. At the next stop it was a micro and it had a parking coin in it that was gold in color but my son thought it was cool and he left what he thought was a match a quarter. But I guess after reading all this I will make a trip and fill a bag with goodies. I will say however that the cache itself wasn't the fun my family was looking for, but rather the time together.

WeCampToo

My kids also want to put small things in caches, which to me are junk, but they place a higher value on. I let them have their fun, put also throw something else of greater value in the cache (even if its just buck) if they took something more valuable out.

This really isn't that complicated an issue. Just follow the Golden Rule.

You don't have to spend a fortune on swag that isn't junk. Right now in my bag, I have:

Camp towels (the kind that are compressed to the size of dollar coins)

Mini bungee cords

Salt & pepper shaker lids that fit on film cannisters

Carbiners

Utility straps (the kind that would go around sleeping bags)

Sewing kits

Folding scissors

Safety whistles

Mosquito net hats

Bear bells

Flexible flashlights

First Aid kits

I didn't spend more than $2.50 for any of it. If I 'regift' anything, I include something new from my list as well.

I have three kids and all of them like to trade once in a while. The kids are the ones who decide what they might like to take, I can't tell you the number of times I have been surprised and enlightened as to the real value of a trade item.

I think the solution to the entire problem lies with the cache owner.

It is tough to figure out what might be acceptable in a cache that you don't own but if it is your cache, remove anything you consider junk.

Here is what I do

I remove anything broken, I remove business cards, coupons, tracts, advertisements and any other paper items. I remove all food items, drugs, knives and matches. I remove anything that is scented. I remove anything which is affected by heat or cold, all liquids are removed. I take out unlaminated sig cards, laminate them and return them at a later date. I remove anything which I consider junk for any reason. I remove old postcards, any unlaminated paper items, gum-wrappers, buttons, rocks, bones, bottle caps and any other item that people toss into the cache because they can't find a garbage can. I make sure that smaller items that require protection are placed into small bags I buy at the craft store. I leave bundles of these small bags in my caches on a regular basis.

I buy stuff at the dollar store, toys that my children like. I shop at the craft store and at Walmart in the discount section and I buy things that kids might like. I imagine briansnats 4 year old nephew is going to open the cache and I try to ensure that my cache will contain items that he will be happy to have. I concentrate on the fact that kids are visiting my cache and I want them to have fun.

I do place items for adults but I tend to stick to new unactivated geocoins, I would like to see these items traded fairly but have learned that it isn't likely to happen and I don't worry about it. If adults find a nice item they may be encouraged but when kids find junk they are discouraged, kids are not driven by the numbers ethic, they just like the little treasures they might find when they go geocaching.

Thanks wavector

Your post helped me a lot on the subject, it is the kids that are important here for most of the caches anyways. Adults do have a problem though.

I would rather lean towards stocking the caches for the kids; young and 'older'.

LeonW :)

Hi, I'm new at the sport too. Just found my first last weekend and been searching for two others for days now (not giving up). I'm not expecting much of anything from a cache, but I understand about the junk. The one I found the other day had absolute junk in it. It was so bad, I laughed when I saw it. But I was more looking forward to dropping something in -- and was still a little disappointed because it was too small for what I wanted to leave. I still left something decent. Not expensive, but at least something "real." What I consider real would be a significant token that someone had been there before me. I don't care if it's a tie tac or a state pencil or a plastic ring from a gumball machine. As long as it's something I can take back with me (like physically collecting each cache).

I noticed that there are people that leave the same "junk" in every cache they go to. I think that's cool if it was something unique, but when I see logs that say "took nothing, left a paperclip" that's when it contributes to the junk. It's just my opinion, but "TNLN, signed the log" is so much better than someone leaving an old paperclip behind.

But I also agree with everyone who says that it's really the hunt that's the sport and not necessarily the prize. It IS a blast. And who knows, maybe after 6,000 caches, I'll start tossing in paperclips too. Mine will at least be colorful.

I have read about all the problems with geocaches getting tampered with by muggles. I constructed one tonight out of 3" PVC (sched. 40) a slip cap, and a female adapter with a cleanout plug. I came up with a way to put a 3 digit combination padlock on it so it cannot be opened by those who are not searching for it, so I can post the combination on the cache location page. This should solve the problems of contaminated items, trash, and illegal substances being left by muggles and others punks. :D

I remove anything broken, I remove business cards, coupons, tracts, advertisements and any other paper items. I remove all food items, drugs, knives and matches. I remove anything that is scented. I remove anything which is affected by heat or cold, all liquids are removed. I take out unlaminated sig cards, laminate them and return them at a later date. I remove anything which I consider junk for any reason. I remove old postcards, any unlaminated paper items, gum-wrappers, buttons, rocks, bones, bottle caps and any other item that people toss into the cache because they can't find a garbage can. I make sure that smaller items that require protection are placed into small bags I buy at the craft store. I leave bundles of these small bags in my caches on a regular basis.

Wow, some of that stuff I wouldn't mind taking from a cache, i.e. postcards and bottle caps (only special bottle caps like those from Jones soda which have fortunes written in them). And although I'm not big into coupons, there's a cache in my area that's all about trading coupons. Just goes to show you, that one person's junk..... :D

Wow, some of that stuff I wouldn't mind taking from a cache, i.e. postcards and bottle caps (only special bottle caps like those from Jones soda which have fortunes written in them). And although I'm not big into coupons, there's a cache in my area that's all about trading coupons. Just goes to show you, that one person's junk..... :D

Postcards, like other paper items, absorb water, I remove everything that is made of paper unless it is laminated. If I find gift certificates which are not expired I place them in a small plastic bag and leave them in the cache. Other items I have removed include hotel shampoo, hotel soap, herring, shotgun shells, unmarked medications, prescription drugs, pennies, nickles, dimes, quarters, combs, tourist maps, brochures, business cards, broken coffee cups, playing cards (not a deck of cards, just some cards) barettes with hair on them, broken toys, bottles of mouthwash, biscuits, cookies, gum, chocolates, candy, used emery boards....you get the idea.

Every cache owner should maintain the caches they own and I see no problems with a cache owner creating a coupon cache or a cache for bottle caps.

I choose trade items with the specific intent of ensuring that children who go caching find something that they might like. I remove a lot of junk from my caches and in every case someone carried it to the cache and added it as a trade item. I don't worry about one man's treasure when I maintain my caches, I just concentrate on the "one man's trash" aspect and I never have any trouble deciding. If you visit any of my caches and find any of the items I mentioned in my post I encourage you to take them. :D

I have read about all the problems with geocaches getting tampered with by muggles...This should solve the problems of contaminated items, trash, and illegal substances being left by muggles and others punks. :D

I suspect that most of the junk I find in my caches is probably being left by cachers. If a non-geocacher finds your locked cache they will probably take the whole thing. You might want to make sure it is clearly identified as a geocache. I have had several geocaches discovered by non-geocachers, in one case they sat on the cache covering thinking it was a rock! They left a log in the logbook but they didn't do anything to the cache.

Both the wife and I spend time in the dollar store picking out cool little trninkets and fun little puzzles and things to place in our caches only to find caches filled with scouring pads, ear plugs and other useless and throw away items.

My son is a drummer and has partial hearing loss in one ear (unrelated to the drumming! - he had a nasty virus). He always takes the ear plugs!

I just like to find the caches so I just sign the log without trading anything. When my son goes with me he takes stuff to trade but rarely finds anything he wants, and he ends up not trading anything either. We both have more fun finding the cache rather than trading.

I totally agree.

I've never understood what trades have got to do with caching anyway.

I recently adopted a cache near where I live because the owner travelled a lot and no longer had time to cache.

My first duty was a maintenance visit and some of the rubbish I found....

Used party popper

a 1P coin

a 5p coin

a tube of toothpaste (out of date)

something plastic

2 x stones (not even interesting)

a plastic spear from some toy

several used cache listings (not even this cache)

an empty matchbox (fortunetly)

3 used glo bracelets

There were other usable items in there but I cannot believe that these were trade ups :D

I like to trade items myself just to keep the contents of caches changing - and where possible trade even or up. If there is something I like I usually trade two to three items to compensate for value.

:D

If there is something I like I usually trade two to three items to compensate for value.

:D

I very recently visited a cache which had a really nice monocular in it. It was used, but was still worth quite a lot. As I rarely carry swaps, and certainly not for value items, I left it for another day. It's a mountain cache, so won't get visited that often. I got together a couple of good items ready for a visit, only to get a notification that the cache had been visited. The log read "took monocular, left geocoin". A lot of newbies don't seem to understand that coins aren't tradable, but they must have realized that this was not a fair exchange. :D

I've never understood what trades have got to do with caching anyway.

The numbers ethic that dominates the activity today has developed gradually. When Dave Ulmer hid that first container the intent was to go to the location, find the container and trade something, the whole purpose of placing a pail with items was trading. I am not sure why you geocache but the intent was originally trading. Dave Ulmer didn't choose a scenic viewpoint, he didn't go and hide a micro in a parking lot, he placed a large container and he filled it with trade items. The original premise has been lost and it may stay lost forever.

In my opinion geocaching has morphed into an activity dominated by the numbers ethos. I think that if the numbers were entirely private, like our underwear, the activity would change a lot and the changes would be positive.

[quote nIn my opinion geocaching has morphed into an activity dominated by the numbers ethos. I think that if the numbers were entirely private, like our underwear, the activity would change a lot and the changes would be positive.

We would have fewer but overall higher quality caches.

I think I qualify as pretty new to this. Having gleamed what I consider a satisfactory idea of what geocaching entails, I have these thoughts to share from my one-of-the-new-guys perspective:

• I was under the impression that if you took something, you left something. I wasn't aware of any emphasis on trading things of equivalent monetary value. However, it just seems common sense to leave something that your average kid or adult would actually want to trade for, so even if the money doesn't balance out, you've traded value for value
  • You can argue that everything might have a value to someone out there, but refuse is refuse, and after a certain threshold, you are really reaching with that statement. I wouldn't mind in the least if cachers or placers threw away half the garbage I find in caches, if only because some of them seem downright filthy. That being said...
  • I always view the stash as an afterthought. I prefer the hunt, the places I never knew about, and the sharing of it with friends. (of course that might be because the stashes usually aren't that good :( ).
  • I will occasionally leave things of pretty good value simply because I feel like I'm giving a present to a stranger. I feel that the trading thing is like a secret santa at work. If you put real money into it, it should be for it's own sake, without expecting to get real money out of it.
  • It had always seemed to me to be unholy to take anything out of the cache for disposal, even things that are obviously complete garbage. I have changed that point of view now.

We have run maintenance on caches that weve found in the past.

If the container is damaged/open we do our best to repair (usually with a note to the placer)

If its just full of trash, we will clear it all out and restock it from our own trade stash. (trash includes rocks, grass clippings, twigs, pennies, broken mccrap, etc)

Tracts, postcards, buisness cards etc usually (but not always) are ruined if they arent at the least baggied, so we usually end up having to clear them out anyways. If they are still in good shape we typically put them in a new baggie with any non-laminated sig cards etc.

Bottom line is this: Even if you dont trade, try and leave the cache in better shape then when you found it :)

it's amazing to me how FAST new or replenished caches turn to junk.

I've actually had someone take a handful of new swag items and leave nothing, then log it like "What's the problem?" Like I really wanted to donate 6 bucks to this jerk for just finding and emptying my cache.

I rarely take anything now. (there's not often anything worth taking) If I do I just leave a buck, which I don't expect anyone has a problem with finding. Occasionally I'll bring swag along to leave, but usually not.