Geocache Mode

Im using a Garmin venture Cx and I am new to the geocache world .

Tried to do a point of interest geocache here in my local town. When I downloaded the cache and used the find menu then geo cache menu, I then select it and it calculates fine. When I switch to the compass mode its just a regular bearing compass its nothing like what they show in the owners manual PAGE 21. I dont know if Im doing something wrong but its not anything like it is in the book. Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions.

Ps I found what I was looking for but evidently coordinates were off cause my track never showed I was there.

Jon

Read all that info, found my first cache but it still didnt go into geocach mode Im going to contact garmin to find out more. uNLESS ANYONE ELSE HAS ANY MORE SUGGESTIONS. Ive downloaded caches from here so they are listied that way onmy find menu but the compass page never goes into geo mode.

tHANKS

On the 60CSX you need to make sure the route to cache is calculated in "Off Road" mode in order to see the special geocache page. I'm not sure if your model behaves the same way. Double check the mode selected (follow road or off road).

Read all that info, found my first cache but it still didnt go into geocach mode Im going to contact garmin to find out more. uNLESS ANYONE ELSE HAS ANY MORE SUGGESTIONS. Ive downloaded caches from here so they are listied that way onmy find menu but the compass page never goes into geo mode.

tHANKS

I don't have a Venture Cx, but I know on my Legend C that for the special "Geocaching Mode" to work the uploaded waypoint (geocache) needs to have the Geocache symbol (closed treasure chest).

I hope this help you.

OP is probably not getting the "geocache" waypoint symbol because they are not premium members and are using a .loc file. (Just a guess)

tHANKS

The geocache mode is dependent on which icons the waypoints have on the unit.

Does your unit show them as the closed chest as shown on the page you referred to?

I assume you download the .loc file from the cache page since you are not a premium member, what program do you use to upload to the GPSr, easyGPS perhaps?

ProsperoDK/René

As noted above, two keys to using Geocaching Mode. First, you need to set the icon to closed treasure chest (or whatever you've told the unit to use for an unfound cache).

Second, the unit must be set to "off-road" navigation. Most users set the navigation method to "Prompted" so that every time you want to go to a waypoint, the unit will ask you if you want to Follow Road or go Off Road. If you "Follow Road" to a cache, you'll get the map page with a route along the best road based upon the maps you have loaded. If you do that, you can hit FIND twice (the current waypoint will be listed at the top of your recent finds). Hit ENTR and then GOTO. This time select Off Road.

In the non-x units, that will take you the Geocaching compass page. In the x units, for no good reason, it will take you to the map page. You have to hit PAGE unit you get to the compass page, but it should then be in geocache mode.

To get the GPSr to prompt you for "follow road" or "off road" Press MENU » MENU » 'Setup' » ENTR » 'Routing' » ENTR, and set Guidance Method (the first drop down) to "Prompted". A forum discussion can be found here.

Im using a Garmin venture Cx and I am new to the geocache world .

Tried to do a point of interest geocache here in my local town. When I downloaded the cache and used the find menu then geo cache menu, I then select it and it calculates fine. When I switch to the compass mode its just a regular bearing compass its nothing like what they show in the owners manual PAGE 21. I dont know if Im doing something wrong but its not anything like it is in the book. Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions.

Ps I found what I was looking for but evidently coordinates were off cause my track never showed I was there.

Jon

You can customize the compass view in that unit to show degrees, cardinal letters or mils. This is done from the Heading option in Setup in the main menu. Is this what you're looking for?

If you "Follow Road" to a cache, you'll get the map page with a route along the best road based upon the maps you have loaded. If you do that, you can hit FIND twice (the current waypoint will be listed at the top of your recent finds). Hit ENTR and then GOTO. This time select Off Road.

Or you can just hit Menu... Recalculate to change the routing mode.

well got it figured out thanks to "carrie476" We meet her at a local geocache site and after talking a while she set up my etrex.

What you have to do is set up the routing to be prompted then select off road. When you select a cache icon closed chest it asks you on road or off select off road and it goes into the cache mode.

works like a champ now thanks for all the replies and help thats why I like this place.

Second, the unit must be set to "off-road" navigation. Most users set the navigation method to "Prompted" so that every time you want to go to a waypoint, the unit will ask you if you want to Follow Road or go Off Road. If you "Follow Road" to a cache, you'll get the map page with a route along the best road based upon the maps you have loaded. If you do that, you can hit FIND twice (the current waypoint will be listed at the top of your recent finds). Hit ENTR and then GOTO. This time select Off Road.

thanks sputnik 57 you were right need to check my posts more often

we"re lost

Edited by we"re lost