Sooo New!

Modocv

Hello,

I'm so new at this, I haven't found another Cacher to ask questions and am totally lost. HELP!

1. I bought a Magellan Explorist 500

2. I downloaded all the Magellan software.

3. I've found cache addresses here in Central Oregon where I'm visiting.

4. I have NO idea what the waypoint means! Example: "GC9BC9" What does this mean?

5. I finally found the long and lat, but I have had NO luck in transferring from Magellan to GPS.

As you can see... I need some help to get started.

Bob...

Modocv1@aol.com :huh:

Hello,

I'm so new at this, I haven't found another Cacher to ask questions and am totally lost. HELP!

4. I have NO idea what the waypoint means! Example: "GC9BC9" What does this mean?

5. I finally found the long and lat, but I have had NO luck in transferring from Magellan to GPS.

Bob...

Modocv1@aol.com :huh:

The easiest way to get those waypoints into your Explorist (short of becoming a premium member) is to do a search of caches in your area and click the boxes next to the one's you're interested in hunting. Once you've picked out a few easy caches to get started with you can download a .LOC file with the waypoint info that you can then load to your unit.

Hope this helps get you pointed in the right direction.

Wulf

The "GC9BC9" code is nothing more than a unique system generated identifyer for the particular cache. If you want to read up more about it, see my FAQ.

I'm not familiar with the Explorist, but getting the cache coordinates into the unit can be done one of two ways.

On almost every unit I've seen, there's some way of marking the coordinates of where you are and creating a waypoint. Then you can edit the numbers of the coordinates to match those displayed on the cache page.

If your unit has a computer interface, you will probably need some type of waypoint management software like EasyGPS or GSAK and then you can download a bunch of caches at one time into the unit by downloading the LOC files.

If you have the cable and you decide to become a premium member, one of the benefits of your membership is Pocket Queries, where you can download the data of up to 2500 caches PER DAY, and filter and sort the data however you want in software like GSAK. Then GSAK should also handle getting the data into your unit as well.

The "GCxxxx" number doesn't mean anything, exactly. It's more like an individual ID number for each cache. The "waypoint" just means where the coordinates put you.

If you want to manually input the waypoint, hit mark on your magellan and then edit and save the name and coordinates for the mark. To download see Tigger's remarks above. The file you download can be opened in the Magellan software and then transfered to the GPSr.

Hello,

Bob...

Modocv1@aol.com :laughing:

Good choice on your purchase of the eXplorist! This model has many advantages over the Garmin models, but we won't go into that. Learn how to input by hand first. If you need help, email me and I will go over it with you step by step, either by phone or email.

WOW! That was fast and very much appreciated. All the tips everyone sent me were true "jewels" and I think I got a handle on the thing now. I'll do my Long and Lat inputs by hand for a while before I tackle the downloading feature again.

I'm wireless and using a semi good wifi connection from a neighbor, so I think that has a lot to do with it also.

I guess the GCxxx thingy is something that is automatically assigned a new cache??? It was a bit confusing when I saw the note beside the cache that said, "Use this waypoint" and it was right next to the GCxxx description. Tough to get all tuned up really quick to a new hobby, but this looks and sounds really neat and a lot of fun!

I hope I run into some of you "out there" sometime. Again, thanks a lot for the quick help!

Modoc...

I'm relatively new, too, and I couldn't figure out the waypoint thingy to save my life at first, too.

It's just a unique 6 digit code that you can type into your unit instead of typing in "Little Johnny's really cool waterfall extravaganza" because chances are that's too many characters and your thumb would get sore anyhow. LOL

If I'm doing a few in a day, I type in the first few characters of the name of the cache (ie "LilJohn" for the one above) and then manually input the Lat and Long coordinates. When I have a few input and I sort them by nearest, the names make more sense to me than the GXXX codes.

Isn't it fun, though? I've been at it a month, and I'm HOOKED.

Edited by montyollie

I'll do my Long and Lat inputs by hand for a while before I tackle the downloading feature again.

Don't feel sheepish about doing that. I don't have the tech skills, however minimal they might be, to do that whole coordinate downloading business. I didn't even set waypoints for about a year (and 100 caches) because I didn't know how. It's not about the technology, it's about the hunt, right?! :laughing:

Good choice on your purchase of the eXplorist! This model has many advantages over the Garmin models, but we won't go into that. Learn how to input by hand first. If you need help, email me and I will go over it with you step by step, either by phone or email.

I'm looking to buy a GPS, and I'm pulled between the Garmin eTrex Legend and the Magellan eXplorist 210. What are the advantages over Garmin? Thanks!

Bugler921

I have the Explorist 210 but am assuming your unit is similar

As others have said you need to download the .loc files from the cache pages.

You then have two options:

1) Using the 'Magellan Geocache Manager' open the loc files you want to upload to your gps (if the software is the same as that for the 210 be sure to choose 'append to exsisting list' each time or it will just keep replacing one with another). Connect your gps to your PC with the data cable (make sure it is turned on). On your PC click on 'Send to GPS' and answer yes to 'send all'. After getting the cpnfirmation that upload is complete turn off your gps and disconnect from your PC

your other option is this and requires absolutely no software (well you will need Windows or anoter OS :) )

2) Your PC will actually view your GPS as an external drive. Plug up your GPS and go to 'My PC' Find the external drive listed (letter varies by computer but usually G, F, etc) open it and find the folder labled geocaches. Drag and drop you loc files into this folder. Turn off and disconnect your GPS.

Either way you can now find your uploaded waypoints (POI's) by pushing the Go To button and then 'geocache points'

I'm looking to buy a GPS, and I'm pulled between the Garmin eTrex Legend and the Magellan eXplorist 210. What are the advantages over Garmin? Thanks!

Bugler921

I like my Explorist 210 but you'll find others around here who will swear by Garmins. It's kind of like asking what is better Coke or Pepsi, you'll find fans of both.

Bugler921

I like my Explorist 210 but you'll find others around here who will swear by Garmins. It's kind of like asking what is better Coke or Pepsi, you'll find fans of both.

although Garmin has infinitely better after market technical and customer support/software/hardware updates.

and that from a loyal (for now) multi-Magellan owner. :)