60csx, Citynav, Topo--what Am I Missing?

RussG

Ok, it looks like I'm biting the bullet and moving up from my geko 201 to the 60csx and I'll buy city Nav 8 which is now out as well as topo. I'll need a mount for the bike and auto possibly and a 512 or 1 gig chip. I'll likely buy a screen protector someplace as well.

Is there anything that I'm missing? do I just download software to manage POI on the card and if so where?

This is kind of like buying a new car when technology has passed my current car's technology up by about 5 years. I just don't want to get home and say "shoot, I need xyz before I can go to the next step.

I'm also assuming that as soon as I get home I need to upgrade firmware and sirffware from the garmin site?

Thanks. the group on this forum has been very informative and interesting to read the last couple of weeks. I'm looking forward to contributing something in the future after I leap to the next techological stage.

Ok, it looks like I'm biting the bullet and moving up from my geko 201 to the 60csx and I'll buy city Nav 8 which is now out as well as topo. I'll need a mount for the bike and auto possibly and a 512 or 1 gig chip. I'll likely buy a screen protector someplace as well.

Is there anything that I'm missing? do I just download software to manage POI on the card and if so where?

This is kind of like buying a new car when technology has passed my current car's technology up by about 5 years. I just don't want to get home and say "shoot, I need xyz before I can go to the next step.

I'm also assuming that as soon as I get home I need to upgrade firmware and sirffware from the garmin site?

Thanks. the group on this forum has been very informative and interesting to read the last couple of weeks. I'm looking forward to contributing something in the future after I leap to the next techological stage.

http://www.garmin.com/products/poiloader/

the unit will hold 1000 waypoints.......if you want to add more than that you will have to do it with the POI loader

http://www.garmin.com/products/webupdater/howtoinstall.jsp

run webupdater....make sure and do it a couple of times because some of the info will only be loaded after the firmware revision....it will say there may be further updates .........click and do it again. the lastest is 3.0 and 2.7

and I would get a bigger card....512MB or 1 GB

don't know if you already have it, but I recommend GSAK and Cachemate for a palm

Edited by birddog14

When you're finished with all that you'll be missing about $700.

You will also want to become a Premium Member of this site so you can create Pocket Queries.

GSAK (Geocaching Swiss Army Knife) is a fantastic database program for managing all the data you get from your PQs.

You can get an inexpensive PDA, like my Palm M500, and install Cachemate on it and be able to carry around all the data for 1000 caches. That way you don't have to waste paper, and printer ink. :huh:

thanks bansheegeo. I googled it and had just located it when you responded. Looks like the POI and GSAK programs are good but that there are still some bugs being worked out. still it looks like it's worth doing. AAARRGG. hate to spend the money but looks like it's time.

If you're mountain biking, then you might also consider getting the US Topo maps. For road biking, I'd think that City Nav v8 would do you just fine.

I've used two different Garmin mounts for mountain biking (for the Foretrex I first started with and another for the 76 series that I've been using for the past year or so), and been pleased with both. Haven't used a Garmin 60 series bike mount, but I'd expect it to be fine. If you feel the itch for something super-rugged, RAM mounts are available for practically every people-moving device ever created. :laughing:

The POI software's had its ups and downs, but if you look through some of the forum threads you'll find people providing links to working versions. (I'm currently using the one that ProsperoDK linked to in this post.)

thanks very much to everyone who responded. I appreciate the responses. I bought a 1gig microSD card today. will buy the rest tomorrow. got the card for 45 dollars at Frys electronics. there is also a 10 dollar rebate. It can be purchased in the store or online for anyone interested.

thanks very much to everyone who responded. I appreciate the responses. I bought a 1gig microSD card today. will buy the rest tomorrow. got the card for 45 dollars at Frys electronics. there is also a 10 dollar rebate. It can be purchased in the store or online for anyone interested.

Looks like I got into this late; you got or will get most of the necessary 'gps' gear. Take a day off work, remember to fill the vehicle gas tank, grab pen or pencil, hat, sunscreen, water and a snack. Some cache swag. And spouse, friend or child. Good Luck!