Would This Be In Bad Taste?

litolpea

would it be in bad taste to create a "memorial" bug for someone who has passed?

i want to actual create a cache for them near the location of the accident, but it is too far for me to manage if anything goes wrong..so i thought of a bug in their honor, starting at the area, in a cache near it.

is that in bad taste? opinions, thoughts...?

I would say nothing wrong ... however be prepared for the bug going missing at some time .... twice the loss...

We did a Bug for a kitten of ours who passed away at only 4 months old .. bug went was picked up from the first cache we put it in by some one at who never placed it again and ignores our emails and still goes caching ... :) ...lost bug ... lost memory..

Edited by S&G.Davison

I created Dad's Journey in honor of my father's life. I have gotten positive comments about the TB. Some people have said they plan to do something similar for someone they love. Some people have written to say that just seeing it in a cache, helped them deal with a similar situation in their own life.

Actually I suspect there may be people who might think it is odd, but no one has complained to me or in the logs so far, so apparently it doesn't offend anyone--or people are just respectful and tactful about the loss of a loved one.

The TB has helped me deal with the loss of my father. Every time I start feeling really blue --like this past Father's Day --someone sends a notes about Dad, and reminds me that he really isn't gone as long as someone still remembers him.

And here's the one for my mom: Betty's Last Hurrah. The most famous one is Uncle Elwyn, which includes a bit of the man in question's cremains. Questionable taste, I suppose, but it's been all over and no-one seems to mind.

It's sound advice not to get too attached, though! People don't seem to be any more conscientious about memorial bugs than any other (which is to say, often not very at all). I think Betty's Last Hurrah is the slowest moving bug I have that's still in play. It's been through, like, four pairs of hands in eight months.

wow! thank you everyone!!!

i would actually love to make a memorial cache near the location of their accident, however...i live an hour away, so i really wouldnt be able to maintain it in the event that something went wrong..

:laughing: so i thought a bug would be the next best thing, in addition to a small memorial there at the location...even tho it will prolly get vandalized or stolen.

but thats ok.

as long as people were touched at least in the beginning you know?

thank you so much everyone ! *hugs

I have a travel bug that is a memorial to my husband's dog. He really enjoys seeing where she's travelling.

I want to create a bug that is a tribute to my uncle who died in 2004 at only age 48, but I want to take it a step further. I want a fire truck travel bug (he was a fireman) to travel to his grave site and have a picture taken on his stone (I would list the destination coordinates). Some people might think that's in poor taste, but my uncle would have gotten a huge kick from it.

I once met a woman in VT who's daughter had passed in a bad boating accident. She saw my GPS and that 's what started the conversation between us. She said she was googling the news about her daughter's accident and came upon this Travel Bug sent out in honor of her daughter. The reason I carried it for so long was that we were going to get together, with the TB owners, the mom and I, and all place it by the water in her memory. Sadly, that didn't happen and I'd held it too long to hang on to it anymore so I set it free. The logs tell the story.

I think a TB in their honor is a much better idea than having a cache near the scene of the accident! That sounds almost morbid. I never understand those roadside makeshift memorials at accident scenes. Celebrate where they lived, not where they died.

I had the sincere pleasure of being handed a TB in honor of someone who died too young. They wanted the bug to go to Disneyland and have photos of it taken. I emailed the owners, asked them what photos they wanted, and I set off to the Happiest Place on Earth and had a blast taking some photos for them and posting them on the web page for the TB. You can see them at TBK76C ("Walt").

I say go for it. And if I have the honor of grabbing it, you'll get some photos and an email. Best wishes!

Craig Todd Memorial Bug

Memorial Bugs are very nice ideas. Listed above is one that Kealia and I happened to team up to help along the way and fulfilled part of it's mission. A truly feel good moment for all involved.

Dang! that bug past right through my area. It's hard to know the mission of every bug dropped within 25 miles. Still, it would have been nice to jam with that one.

Maybe on the return trip.