New Handheld From Garmin?

jotne

I would like to replace my 60CS, but I would like some bigger screens, POI support ++

The 60CSx has custom POI support (a very nice feature). The screen size is identical; to get larger screens means the device has to be larger in your hands and that is typically undesirable with geocaching. But automotive units are available that do have larger screens. If screen size is more important to you than portability, then you might also look at the PDA type units (iQue).

About the only thing I can think of to make me replace my 60CS would be if they made the memory cards accept waypoints as wel (the 60CSx can only use it for maps).

A nice to have would also be Bluetooth. I would not be too surprised to see these in the next generation, which if they follow the patern is about 12 to 15 months from right now.

About the only thing I can think of to make me replace my 60CS would be if they made the memory cards accept waypoints as wel (the 60CSx can only use it for maps).

A nice to have would also be Bluetooth. I would not be too surprised to see these in the next generation, which if they follow the patern is about 12 to 15 months from right now.

True, but it would be nice if Waypoints in general were extensible on the memory card. That way you can have more than 1000 "real" waypoints which you can edit/modify while in the field (such as to mark a cache as found). Plus, then the "real" waypoints would benefit from the larger name and comment field storage.

The POI system is a nice addition, but it is not a true replacement for real waypoints.

Looks like Garmin won't come out with a big screen handheld like my eXplorist XL, but that would be neat if my eXplorist XL rand as well as a Garmin does, like when there are too many tracklogs on the SD memory card, it will keep rebooting everytime I try to view the tracks on the memory card.

The StreetPilot c320 has about the same screen as the eXplorist XL, but too bad it is not in a portable size to carry around hiking.

"...the memory cards do hold waypoints (sort of). They are called custom POIs and are very similar to waypoints."

I'd emphasize the "sort of". The waypoints do not display on the screen as anything other than an icon: no name, for example. So you can see that something is there; you just don't know what it is.

I'd emphasize the "sort of". The waypoints do not display on the screen as anything other than an icon: no name, for example. So you can see that something is there; you just don't know what it is.

Well "sort of". The non display of the POI names is a current firmware bug. If you turn the display of waypoints OFF, then the custom POI names will show up.

Umm, the memory cards do hold waypoints (sort of). They are called custom POIs and are very similar to waypoints.

Umm..not even sort of. POI's and waypoints are two different items. Having the ability to move my waypoints and or geocaches to the memory card is much more useful in a handheld.

To the OP, I guess i was trying to say, if it works, why change? If there is a specific feature that is worth the money to you, go for it. I listed what my motivator would be. For others it may be a beter view of the sats under a canopy. I just have not seen a reason to make it worth the upgrade.

They are not much different. You can navigate to either, search for either, store information in either. You can create waypoints from POIs on the unit if you need to edit the coordinates or note.

Sprry, didn't realize that. What's the routine for loading a 3000 cache GPX directly or 3000 caches from GSAK to the 60CSx?

Sprry, didn't realize that. What's the routine for loading a 3000 cache GPX directly or 3000 caches from GSAK to the 60CSx?

1) Install the POI Loader program, POI Loader

2) Place any GPX files you want in a directory. The title will act as heading names in the GPS. They can take up to 44 characters in the name field and 88 in the comment field.

3) Run POI loader. It will load up all GPX files in the directory of your choice.

If you turn the display of waypoints OFF, then the custom POI names will show up.

I'd love to be able to get this to work, but I cannot figure out how to do that. When I use Map Setup and set the Waypoints to not display, I still don't get the labels on the POIs. But when I put the pointer over a waypoint symbol, then it highlights it and the name does appear. And that only works at the 800ft level or closer in.

Is that the best we can get or am I missing something?

Not exactly a geocacher's GPS, but if you want a TINY handheld with a BIG screen and an amazing feature set from Garmin - you want the NUVI B)

http://www.garmin.com/products/nuvi/

Since i often go hiking, this is not a good option (but yes I like the size)

It dos not uses standard battery, and there is not track log ?????????????????????????

Why Garmin has removed the track log is a mystery.

I would like to replace my 60CS, but I would like some bigger screens, POI support ++

Anyone know if Garmin has any new handheld models coming soon?

(given that the CSx does do POI support)

It would seem that Garmin are concentrating their development effort on higher margin markets... like this.

Thing is; if you're walking around, you're spending a few £/$10s. If you're riding a bike or car, you're spending £/$1000s; and if you're in a boat £/$100,000s. The cost and therefor functionality of the units has to scale with what the market will spend, doesn't it.

The CSx is only worth it, for me, because I can also use it on the motor/push bikes.

i'm really hoping garmins next gps will have a firmware that is thoroughly tested, instead of counting on their customers to be guinnea pigs... Not all customers have access or knowledge of this site
agree B)

OK, so I am back to waiting for a model that you can place caches on the memory card.

Have you sent an email to Garmin and ask them if this will come?

If they do not know about the problem, the will not fix it.

They know and yes I have made the request.

It is not a problem, not even a flaw, it's just a nice to have. As my first post said before this thread was hijacked, I have a 60CS that does just fine. This is one of the features that would make me move to another GPS.

My original point was, if there is a feature that you feel is worth the extra $$$, go for it. Don't just do it to be "cutting edge".