Buried Cache

Abigail

I am relatively new to the caching experience and have a little over 60 cache finds. Recently went on a puzzle cache to a cemetery. Could not figure out. :)

The next day, I carried a caching buddy and we narrowed it down but could not find cache. :D

Went home and emailed owner. With his help I did discover I was in correct location-in middle of cemetery with nothing around.

On the third day. I did perimeter search of 20 feet. Still I found nothing. I gave up and decided to go home. Hanging my head in disgust I see the cache! A small PVC pipe had been plugged into ground and the cache had been dropped down hole with only the top barely above ground. It had been covered in dirt. Recent rain (or my constant walking over it ) had uncovered it. Three trips and much brain power wasted on a cache that I considered poorly done. :o:)

Now, the question...I considered this cache below ground and, thus, BURIED. I've never come across a cache like this. Looking for someone with more caching experience to weigh in with their opinion. Is it buried? :laughing:

Thanks.

Abigail

If the container could be pressed down into an existing hole or soft ground, it's OK. If a shovel, trowel or other pointy object was needed in order to place the container into the ground, it's buried.

On very rare occasions, such caches are allowed as an exception. Permission directly from Groundspeak is required.

It isn't necessarily "buried" that is against the guidelines. If you cover your cache with leaves, sticks or duff its technically buried, but not a violation of the guidelines. If you dig a hole and put a bucket in it, leaving leave its lid exposed, its technically not buried, but it is a violation of the guidelines.

The key is whether or not digging was involved to place a cache. If digging is involved it is against the guidelines.

It isn't necessarily "buried" that is against the guidelines. If you cover your cache with leaves, sticks or duff its technically buried, but not a violation of the guidelines. If you dig a hole and put a bucket in it, leaving leave its lid exposed, its technically not buried, but it is a violation of the guidelines.

The key is whether or not digging was involved to place a cache. If digging is involved it is against the guidelines.

I guess that's why the guide to hiding a cache reads "Please do not bury the container unless you have express permission of the landowner or manager."

Most people assume burying involves digging a hole.

http://www.geocaching.com/about/hiding.aspx

Buried or not I would say that such a cache in a cemetary is morally wrong. I think there should be tougher guidelines on cemetarys. Maybe turn such caches into virtuals instead of actual caches. Unless such a cache can be placed away from headstones, along sides of the fence or in a tree. Treading on the dead to find a box of trinkets just seems wrong to me. Just my opinion, swizzle

Swizzle, didja see the sentence in my post about exceptions? Earlier this month, I found one of the nicest cemetery caches I've ever hunted. The cemetery was 200 years old, out in the middle of the woods. There was a revolutionary war veteran buried there.

The church that granted permission for that cache insisted that the owner bury the container in the woods, about 40 feet away from the first row of headstones. At the time of publication, I recall having to work with Groundspeak for approval of an exception. I am glad that an exception was made here. I really liked that cache!

For every guideline, there is an exception. That is why they are called guidelines. It doesn't mean that everyone else can run out and bury a cache. It was not an easy process to get this example published.

The PVC pipe was pushed deeply into the ground. I don't think there was ever a indention or hole there. Considering this was a Texas cache I can't imagine the soil was soft enough he could just press the pipe into the ground. But he could be a very macho Texan and it was easy for him to man-handle it into the ground!

Thanks for your responses.

Abigail

Buried or not I would say that such a cache in a cemetary is morally wrong. I think there should be tougher guidelines on cemetarys. Maybe turn such caches into virtuals instead of actual caches. Unless such a cache can be placed away from headstones, along sides of the fence or in a tree. Treading on the dead to find a box of trinkets just seems wrong to me. Just my opinion, swizzle

Morally wrong? I'm sure the dead won't mind.

Cemetaries are by nature depressing places. Anything to make going there a more pleasant experience can't be a bad thing in my opinion.

If the container could be pressed down into an existing hole or soft ground, it's OK. If a shovel, trowel or other pointy object was needed in order to place the container into the ground, it's buried.

On very rare occasions, such caches are allowed as an exception. Permission directly from Groundspeak is required.

Cool, I was wondering about drop spikes and that covers it.

Cool, I was wondering about drop spikes and that covers it.

Just a random 2 cents from someone else who is relatively new to all this, but having a blast with it.

I recently did a cemetery cache that was absolutely wonderful, the descendant of someone buried there long ago placed it along the fence line, with educational material in the original description about her families original homestead, clues that included visiting the headstone for dates to incorporate in the final solution, and a log book with a picture of the original family. Very respectful, although I do admit I felt a bit weird looking around for their headstone amongst the other departed souls.

I have also found on of those buried pvc pipe with twist off top hides in a very popular park- (covered by a fake rock no less)- thought it too was a fun find- it was one of my earlier ones and I didn't expect it, for each new experience I have I learn for the next search, and incorporate that into my geocaching repertoire.

(The first nano drove me absolutely nuts too!)

Sorry that find was so stubborn, but makes the more satisfying doesn't it?

I have no problem with cemetary caches as long as they are done in a respectful manor. I also agree that if its your wishes, that a geocache should be allowed on your grave site. I think it would be cool to visit past geocachers. I just wouldn't feel comfortable carrying a shovel through a gravesite. I think if I was going to have people visit my gravesite I'd have a custom stone made with lots of nookes and crannies to hide micro's and maybe a micro container with my ashes on a travel bug so that I can see the world. Swizzle