Logging Finds

Keen007`

I'm sure there is a way but I couldn't figure it out. Had my first Geocaching trip today. :anicute: Had 5 finds and 2 DNFs :anicute: . When I logged each one it went directly to delete or edit post. I didn't see a button to return to list. So each time, I had to start over by going to hide and seek enter my zip code and mile radius, search over the pages for the caches I need to log and then make the next post.....and on....I think you get the picture. So how do you post multiples without having to reenter everything? I may answer my own question here but do you do it by putting a checkmark in the box on the right of each one and then hit enter? :laughing:

I'm sure there is a way but I couldn't figure it out. Had my first Geocaching trip today. :anicute: Had 5 finds and 2 DNFs :anicute: . When I logged each one it went directly to delete or edit post. I didn't see a button to return to list. So each time, I had to start over by going to hide and seek enter my zip code and mile radius, search over the pages for the caches I need to log and then make the next post.....and on....I think you get the picture. So how do you post multiples without having to reenter everything? I may answer my own question here but do you do it by putting a checkmark in the box on the right of each one and then hit enter? :laughing:

When you are on the screen that says "edit/delete" you have some choices.

If you know the GC number of another cache you want to log, simply put it in there and hit enter to go to it.

If you don't know the number of the cache, but it was near the one you just logged, click the link for that cache and it will take you to that cache page. Then select the "nearest caches" link to see the cahces near that one.

I always return to the cache page and select nearest to the last one I logged. I don't use the GC numbers I put the name on my GPS or as much as will fit there.

I used to do that, too. Then I started loading the caches using PQs and the cable.

Then we started seeing a lot of series caches around here and I would have things like Probal1, Probal2, Probal3 etc, which was fine, as long as it all showed up on the indicator--sometimes all I saw was Proba, Proba, Proba--Hmmm, which one do I want? It was as much a pain to hunt through the whole thing to change those few as it was to load them by hand.

Or, even when I loaded them by hand, I would abbreviate it without a "The" at the beginning and have a hard time finding it in the PDA.

WHen I went paperless and started using the PDA, it just made more sense to use the GC number. Now that I have a 76cs and use GSAK, I use the GC number (without the "GC") for the name, and I put a short smartname in the description---so I have both!

I'm sure there is a way but I couldn't figure it out. Had my first Geocaching trip today. :laughing: Had 5 finds and 2 DNFs :anicute: . When I logged each one it went directly to delete or edit post. I didn't see a button to return to list. So each time, I had to start over by going to hide and seek enter my zip code and mile radius, search over the pages for the caches I need to log and then make the next post.....and on....I think you get the picture. So how do you post multiples without having to reenter everything? I may answer my own question here but do you do it by putting a checkmark in the box on the right of each one and then hit enter? :anicute:

As you find more caches, using the "nearest" page will become less and less useful for this purpose. But in the mean time, while you're on the list, just open all the caches you need to log in new tabs. If you're still stuck in the 20th century, and not using a tab-enabled browser, you can open them in new windows.

As you find more caches, using the "nearest" page will become less and less useful for this purpose. But in the mean time, while you're on the list, just open all the caches you need to log in new tabs. If you're still stuck in the 20th century, and not using a tab-enabled browser, you can open them in new windows.

True, but there's a link on every cache page to all nearby caches, that I haven't found . Log the first , then as others have already suggested use the back button and then select the next cache you'd like to log. Works great as long as all of your finds are near one another. For those days when you've been caching along a route and you moved off the first page of the nearest ones, I go to the next along the route, again "select all nearby caches, that I haven't found" and continue.

I use GSAK to keep track of all my cache data. I pick one of the caches in my GSAK list and use it as a Center Point. I mark as Found each of the caches I found around that cache.

If I was in a different area the same day, I pick another cache as a Center Point and mark the caches around that one as Found.

Finally, I do a filter that brings up only the caches I Found during the day.

I double-check those caches against my Palm and my Tracks, which I downloaded from my GPSr to my Mapsource Maps.

To log my Finds, I just double-click the cache name in GSAK and then go online to the Cache Page. I don't have to use GC.com Search to get to the cache pages. It is very efficient for me. :laughing:

True, but there's a link on every cache page to all nearby caches, that I haven't found .

The reason it becomes less useful is because the caches you're looking for will no longer be clustered together. Caches are sequenced strictly by distance, without regard to direction.

My 60CS' geocaching feature has a list of the GC# (waypoint name) of each cache I found during the day. I just use that list and search on the waypoint name. If you don't have a Garmin unit with the geocaching feature, you can just jot down each waypoint name on a piece of paper.

We had our first hunting day yesterday, and I went through the same thing last night. Then I discovered at the bottom of the page after I had entered a log, there was a place to put in the waypoint for another cache and it took me to the next one. It saved me great time.