Help Downloading Bulk Gpx Files

bulletproofcj7

I've gone cross eyed searching through all of these posts trying to answer my question. maybe its not worded in such a way as to catch my eye. I appologize if this is a redundant question.

I upgraded to the premium membership. how do I download each search page full of caches in (gpx) to Gsak. to include ALL of the information? I've clicked the "check all" button and then the "download waypoints" button then the gsak screen appears but doesnt seem to be in gpx format it still asks for me to choose state and says that the free loc files from Gc.com dont include this info. how do I download all of this info from all of the selected caches on the search page without dowloading them seperately? sorry if this is not a very clear question i can't think of a simpler way to word it.

Thanks in advance -Jason

I am suffering the same problem. WHY does it only DL the files in LOC format when I am a premium member? It should be understood that I want the GPX files.

After giving up on this "mass import" ----again to save time and effort-----I tried to DL the files one at a time into Cachemate and found that only one file at a time stayed on that screen. After downloading 20 caches, only the last coordinate was on the screen to convert.

I am to the point of giving up. The pocket query gave me an error and requests I only run it once a week...what the hell?

I have jumped through more hoops today than I can imagine. I have installed no less than 6 new applications onto my computer, signed up for a dozen forum memberships and I am pissed.

At this point, I don't care if I kill 4032 trees. It appears my destiny is printinbg every dadgum cache and then handtyping the coordinates.

I am suffering the same problem. WHY does it only DL the files in LOC format when I am a premium member? It should be understood that I want the GPX files.

After giving up on this "mass import" ----again to save time and effort-----I tried to DL the files one at a time into Cachemate and found that only one file at a time stayed on that screen. After downloading 20 caches, only the last coordinate was on the screen to convert.

I am to the point of giving up. The pocket query gave me an error and requests I only run it once a week...what the hell?

I have jumped through more hoops today than I can imagine. I have installed no less than 6 new applications onto my computer, signed up for a dozen forum memberships and I am pissed.

At this point, I don't care if I kill 4032 trees. It appears my destiny is printinbg every dadgum cache and then handtyping the coordinates.

Look at Leps response - your answer is a Pocket Query....

Look at Leps response - your answer is a Pocket Query....

Yes, the PQ is one way, but I agree with the concept that it's not as easy nor as practical as it could or IMO should be. Sometimes, you just want to check and download a few caches quickly in .gpx format for GSAK, not run a PQ. Unfortunately, clicking to open the .gpx file on the cache page or marking a checkbox simply doesn't work for those running Windows XP, even those who are premium members. It defaults to .loc files.

Two options (for premium members running Windows XP):

1. Click and save (instead of open) the .gpx file on the cache page to your hard drive and then drag it into GSAK to open as a .gpx file.

2. Run a PQ, though this seems to be more sensible when for a larger number of caches for a longer cache outing or trip.

The current situation seems to be a glitch with GSAK and Windows XP--see FAQ #6 in the GSAK forum for GSAK developer Clyde's explanation. Hopefully, it'll eventually be resolved. Hard to complain about a program that you can try out for free.

Edited by Teach2Learn

Unfortunately, clicking to open the .gpx file on the cache page or marking a checkbox simply doesn't work for those running Windows XP, even those who are premium members. It defaults to .loc files.

It seems to download in .gpx for me just fine in Windows XP. It's definitely in GPX and not LOC format, I verified by looking at the file in notepad.

--Marky

Unfortunately, clicking to open the .gpx file on the cache page or marking a checkbox simply doesn't work for those running Windows XP, even those who are premium members. It defaults to .loc files.

It seems to download in .gpx for me just fine in Windows XP. It's definitely in GPX and not LOC format, I verified by looking at the file in notepad.

--Marky

The .gpx file will open for me only if I save to my hard drive and then drag/open in GSAK. It's a known issue for some Windows XP users as indicated by the GSAK forum FAQ #6 link I provided.

Glad it works for you, though. It's just one extra step, not a big deal. And the PQ zip downloads to then open in GSAK work great.

I have always either used the .gpx files in the zipped PQs which I open in GSAK, or clicked on the .gpx file on the individual cache page and "Saved" it to a "New Caches" folder GSAK looks at for those files.

That way I can direct where those files go. Have you looked at the path where the file goes when you double-click on it. :rolleyes: It is way, way, way deep in the Documents and Settings folder on the C:\ drive.

I have always either used the .gpx files in the zipped PQs which I open in GSAK, or clicked on the .gpx file on the individual cache page and "Saved" it to a "New Caches" folder GSAK looks at for those files.

That way I can direct where those files go. Have you looked at the path where the file goes when you double-click on it. :rolleyes: It is way, way, way deep in the Documents and Settings folder on the C:\ drive.

Yep, that's exactly what I do now too for .gpx files. I made a "Geocaching" folder with "Waypoints" subfolder to save them i before opening them in GSAK.

However, it would be nice if they could open directly from the page without the need to save to my hard drive or run a PQ, like the .loc files already do.

Edited by Teach2Learn

I don't think the original poster's question was answered.

GPX files as a result of a Pocket Query must be sent to you via e-mail. You can PREVIEW the results of the Pocket Query (which I recommend prior to actually running it). From the PREVIEWED results, you can download a bunch of LOC files, or go to the individual pages and download the GPX files.

But if you want all of the results of the Pocket Query in GPX, you need to select a "day" to have the PQ run, and wait patiently for the generator to send you the results as one large file, and possibly another small file with the "Additional Waypoints" like parking coordinates.

Does that answer the questions?

I don't think the original poster's question was answered.

GPX files as a result of a Pocket Query must be sent to you via e-mail. You can PREVIEW the results of the Pocket Query (which I recommend prior to actually running it). From the PREVIEWED results, you can download a bunch of LOC files, or go to the individual pages and download the GPX files.

But if you want all of the results of the Pocket Query in GPX, you need to select a "day" to have the PQ run, and wait patiently for the generator to send you the results as one large file, and possibly another small file with the "Additional Waypoints" like parking coordinates.

Does that answer the questions?

I figured it out! However its slower than i had hoped. i was hoping to get the info instantly without downloading them 1 at a time.

Thanks for all the input everyone!

-Jason

how do I download all of this info from all of the selected caches on the search page without dowloading them seperately?

Since you specified 'selected caches on the search page', here's one way to do that. Sorta.

Create a bookmark list, name it anything, add your selected caches to it (top right of the cache page), then have a PQ of your bookmark list emailed to you. They usually show up in your mailbox in just a few minutes.

You still have to go to each cache page to do it this way but at least it's all one .gpx file rather than many .loc files.

Hope this helps...

i'm a pq n00bie too... checking mr. clock-on-the-wall, i believe i sent the request for the pocket query about... thirty minutes ago? maybe it's because i'm using a hotmail account, or the fact that i'm on a dial-up connection, but that shouldn't affect when the hotmail server gets it.

does anyone else have problems with pq's and hotmail? how big are the attachments when they come in? maybe that affects the time it takes to receive the pq.

actually, i said to run it once and delete...

(here's where i feel really stupid) ...did i still have to select a day of the week? morning after, and it still hasn't come... :laughing:

That got me too. But if you go back to pq's you will see it still there and can run it again after checking the current day. I checked mine a couple days later and they were still there. A strikeout shows after they run.

Jason,

I appreciate your question as I want to know the same thing. I would like to know how to dowload ALL the information (i.e., coordinates as well as notes) to my GPS. Otherwise I need to continue to print out every page to get the notes and then carry them with me as I go caching. I am also having the same problem as others in this forum of not being able to dowload multiple cache coordinates all at the same time, only one at a time. H-E-L-P anyone. I am using WindowsXP if that matters.

Rob

Unfortunately that "notes" field is only good for about 20-30 characters.

The way I have it set up (and I am still new to this, so it may improve later), I download the GPX files and run "GPX Spinner" on them. Then I import the file into EasyGPS to download to my Garmin 60 csx.

With this combination of software, it tries to put the cache hints into the GPS "notes" field, but again due to this silly character limit, it is not very useful. It is actually almost infuriating to read the "note" and find out it says:

YOU WILL FIND THE CACHE HIDDEN INSIDE A

Grrrr! :huh:

I'm ordering a Palm PDA so I can do proper paperless caching with CacheMate.

Here is how I get a bunch of .GPX files into CacheMate, relatively painlessly.

I run Windows XP. My browser is FireFox. I think that helps because FireFox allows me to associate .GPX with the CacheMate File Converter program. My PDA is palm-OS based.

Here are the steps I have to go through:

1. Navigate to the cache webpage

2. Click the "GPS eXchange File (*.gpx)" button

3. (First time only) You have to tell Firefox how to open the file. I've already done it, so I can't walk through the steps, but in a nutshell you want to tell FireFox to "Open with" and then browse to the directory that has the CacheMate program in it, and then go into the File Converter directory and select the cmconvert.exe file.

4. Then, click OK and the file goes directly into CacheMate converter, without saving the .GPX file to your hard drive.

5. the converter runs automatically, you have to accept your download options and it imports the file.

6. Highlight the cache name and click "save". Save as any name you want. This is a .PRC file.

7. (the cool step) the converter automatically puts the file in your upload area, so the next hotsync puts it into your PDA, and the next time you run CacheMate on your PDA it finds the file and integrates it.

8. (If desired) manually delete the .PRC file.

9. Repeat with the next cache.

Gripes and wishes (with this system. I'd also like to be able to download multiple caches as GPX instead of LOC):

A. Each time this happens, a new instance of the cmconvert.exe is launched. I'd really like it if things were set up so that the new GPX file got loaded into the currently-running copy, and then you could do a single Save operation at the end.

B. You have to acknowledge an awful lot of popups for cmconvert. I'd be glad if the status line were used to indicate how many points were uploaded, rather than acknowledging a popup, for example.

C. You have to tell CacheMate about each cache separately when you run it. I wish there were some faster options there.

But overall, it's been a workable solution and I can live with it.

While this is not exactly what the poster was looking for, I do it this way. I click the check boxes on the search result page, and download them. Yep they are LOC files, but thats ok for now.... I open the loc file in GSAK, and ignore entering the state.

Once they are in there, I can set GSAK in split mode and have the geocahing.com view on the bottom. If I like the chace I hit download GPX, and use open not save. By clicking yes, it will open and populate all the data for you. If a cache is not interesting, dont download the gpx... just delete it.

Basically I use GSAK split view to read about the caches I selected, and with it open I dont have to save the gpx's, just populate the database.

Dont know if that confusing or not?