Great Southeastern Cities To Cache In

bobbyfrass

My wife and 6 month old are travelling to see family in a couple of weeks. Unfortunately I can't take enough time away from work to go with them, but I can get away for a couple of days for a little caching roadtrip. This isn't something I can normally do, so I'd love to make the most of it. I live in the Panhandle of Florida and am looking for a good area to go for a couple of days of caching. I'm thinking of the greater Atlanta area, perhaps around Stone Mountain, GA. Ideas and info are much appreciated! :wub:

I'm kind of looking for someone to give me a pitch for their area, or a suggestion on an area that they had alot of fun caching in. I haven't decided to drive to Georgia yet. I basically want to keep it within a days drive, but that leaves plenty of Florida, Alabama, and Georgia. Maybe even Mississippi, Tennessee, or South Carolina--although these are on the far side.

Someone in another thread kind of gave Jacksonville a bad rap as a town with a lot of poor quality micros. I don't know--I've never been. Other than that, I don't have a lot of information on areas that are generally very high quality.

Thanks again to anyone who'll help! :wub:

If you want to travel as far north as Western North Carolina, there are plenty of caches in the Sylva area. There are several hundred caches in a relatively small area, ranging from Park and grabs to longer hikes.

Or, come on over to Mississippi. We don't have quite the numbers over here, but the caches are usually good quality and you won't be disappointed.

Edited by DavidMac

The Birmingham Metro area (Jefferson & Shelby Counties) has a slew of caches of all types and difficulty levels.

From PC to Hoover (Exit 252 on I-65) takes about 4.5 to 5 hrs. but if you want to spend a night that'll take some of the "groan" factor out of the ride. I've used the "Comfort Inn" right at exit 252 during business trips in the past. It's pretty good and has reasonable rates. Search the 35216 zip code with a 25 mile radius. That should cover most of the area. It'll certainly return a lot more than you (reasonably) hope to find in a few hours.

Montgomery is about 3 hours (more or less) and there are plenty there too. Try zip code 36110 w/ a 20 mi. radius. That should cover the majority of the city. I *think* "the Peach" in Clanton (I-65) is a virtual and there are several along the 65 corridor between Montgomery and Birmingham.

Both Birmingham and Montgomery have a rather colorful history and there are several caches that take advantage of this fact.

Enjoy your trip.

PS: I drive 331 from "the 'Gump" to Florala fairly often as my parents live in Ft. Walton Bch. If you need any additional information, let me know. I'll do what I can.

Come on up to Middle Georgia....Macon and Warner Robins. There are tones of caches to find of all shapes and types. It is only a 5 or so hour drive from Panama Beach.

There are even a few things to do here....we have the Georgia Sports Hall of Fame, Music Hall of Fame and a bunch of historic places downtown in Macon also you can visit the Museum of Aviation (which is free) in Warner Robins.

So come on up and visit and drop us a line we may be able to meet or something.

:unsure:

Come to think of it, there are a few along US Hwy 331 strung out between US Hwy 98 at Freeport (Fl) and Opp. I also vaguely remember looking for a few between Opp and Andalusia but that was when I was just the cheauffer and not actually participating.

Just some more food for thought.

The Tallahassee area also has some excellent caches. They range from micros to larger caches, with all difficulty types. I've been very impressed around here, especially after visiting PC and finding so many micros,and many of them poor. I was in Jax last wekend, and what you heard is right. Way too many micros, poor hides (in a pile of asphalt?) etc. I never realized I had it so good!