Looking For A Second Gps Unit

I have a Garmin GPS III +

Yeah, it's old, but it works. It came with the external antenna, car adapter, serial connector, and velcro strip. It works fine except for under heavy tree cover and is only accurate to 20 feet. I've only found ground zero on one cache with it.

So I guess I'm looking for something more accurate with the same features.

What are your suggestions?

I don't think that I have ever been to ground zero with any of my caches... I just stop at the APROX. grond zero and search the area thinking "Now where would I hide it."

Otherwise, lots of cacher seem to be going with the etrex series. Don't think you can get the car addapter for em tho.

20 feet accuacy is not bad at all.

The new 60csx has that new SiRF thingy is supposed to have awesome reception without an external antenna.

For affordability, the new Venture C ($200) is a very good deal. It has color screen, auto-routing capability, and removable memory cards, to name just a few features.

I picked up my Magellan Explorist 500 on eBay and love it. :laughing: It's not too bulky, rugged, fast USB connection to PC and in full color! :laughing: I threw in a 1GB SD memory card so I've got lots of space for uploading maps and cache files. I got it for $249 and retails for an average of $349

Since your looking to upgrade I would look for 2 things.

1. A nice color screen ( you would be surprised how much easier they are to read)

2. Something that supports auto-routing. ( I am using a Garmin 60CS)

You don't have to buy the newest out there to get these features so look around and test some at a sporting goods store to see what you like and can afford.

20 feet accuacy is not bad at all.

The new 60csx has that new SiRF thingy is supposed to have awesome reception without an external antenna.

For affordability, the new Venture C ($200) is a very good deal. It has color screen, auto-routing capability, and removable memory cards, to name just a few features.

The Venture C is a very good GPS for the money. Color screen, autorouting, expandible memory. Hard to beat for $200.

Sliding this over to the GPS Units and Software forum.

Edited by briansnat

I too have an old III+. The triangular form factor is hard to beat for car or boat use. And I agree that sensitivity is not nearly as good as the newer units.

I have been using a Garmin Foretrex 101 for geocaching. It's very small (wear on your wrist) and is much more sensitive than the III+. Holds 500 wpts and connects to pc via a serial cable-- so, similar to III+. It's waterproof, so great for kayaking. And so small that there's never an excuse for not having it with you. I've seen it for <$100.