Gpsmap 60csx

I work at a gander mountain and was recently given the privilage of trying the new garmin Nuvi. this made me want to get a unit with autorouting capabilities, but can still go off the beaten trail. i was wondering if anybody has used their 60CSx for autorouting? how loud it the proximity alert? any comments are welcomed on these units.

The speaker on the 60CSx is truely pathetic and there is no volume control. If you like to listen to the radio in the car, even moderate volume will drown out the alarms. On the motorcycle, the alams cannot be heard at all.

The 60 series make great backwoods navigators, but the lack of voice prompts, a good speaker, and an easy way to enter addresses make them only fair car navigators.

GW

Edited by Glenn W

The speaker on the 60CSx is truely pathetic and there is no volume control. If you like to listen to the radio in the car, even moderate volume will drown out the alarms. On the motorcycle, the alams cannot be heard at all.

The 60 series make great backwoods navigators, but the lack of voice prompts, a good speaker, and an easy way to enter addresses make them only fair car navigators.

GW

Im guessing that its all the same as the 60cs and I will say that I am satisfied with the volume level. I also find it pretty easy to enter an address. I don't know why you think its difficult.

I have the Vista C and love the auto-routing feature on it. I listen to my radio, have my air-conditioner on, and I can still hear the beeps just fine. I'm sure it would be the same with the 60CSx.

I have the 76 CSX and it works great in the car. It has the turn preview screen so you can tell exactly how far in distance and time the next turn is.

I own a 60csx and a friend has the Nuvi. They are both great units, but are aimed at totally different markets. For outdoors use, the 60csx works great. As you know, the Nuvi, with the touch screen and all, is more fragile, and more appropriate for autorouting and non-hardcore use. That being said, you can go geocaching with a Nuvi (albeit carefully) and you can autoroute with the 60csx.

To answer your main question, the 60csx is a decent autorouting unit but has the aforementioned limitations (e.g., just beeps and screen shows a banner message for next step). To me, that is more than adequate since whenever I'm driving with autorouting in unfamiliar territory I'm always focusing on what the next turn is quite a bit ahead of time and am rarely caught off-guard. But in terms of pure auto-routing graphics and sounds, the Nuvi wins hands down.

I own both the 60CSx and the Nuvi 350. Regarding autorouting, the 60 is every bit as good as the 350. As a matter of fact, I have tested both units, side by side while on the road and 99% of the time, both units calculate the exact route.

Edited by indygpser

Im guessing that its all the same as the 60cs and I will say that I am satisfied with the volume level. I also find it pretty easy to enter an address. I don't know why you think its difficult.

Compared to the the dedicated car navigators with touch screen keyboards, the 60CSx address entry is slow. Scrolling through alphabet one letter at a time with the tiny rocker pad has its limitations. Also, even though my hearing is normal for a 38-year-old, I have a dificult time hearing the beeps when the radio is on. That said, I bought my 60CSx for camping, hiking, and bicycling first, and for occasional car use as a secondary concern. For this intended use, the 60CSx is a good compromise and I am generally pleased with my purchase. I was aware of the strengths and limitations before I bought the GPSr.

GW