Garmin 60cx Or 76cx?

I'm looking to purchase either a Garmin 60Cx or 76Cx. From the Garmin product comparison page, these seem identical, except for the case. Are they? Any recommendations? I would use it for hiking and also mount on my motorcycle. It looks to me like the buttons on the 60Cx might be easier to operate with gloves on.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Three "major" differences. The 76 comes with a 128MB Data Card whereas the 60 only comes with 64MB. Also, the 76 (being a marine unit) is designed to float whereas the 60 manages to maintain neutral bouyancy. Of course, the obvious design of the button placement.

Other than that, it's a toss-up...

Perhaps a visit to the comparison page might help. Visit this Garmin product comparison page and select the units you are interested in comparing, and press submit.

The previous post summed up the differences quite well. One addition, is they both are rated as the same Waterproof Standard, IPX7 but as Neo_Geo said the 76CSx floats.

• 76CSx floats
  • Amount of Built in Memory 64 MB vs. 128 MB
  • Buttons on top instead of the bottom

Edited by diadumenianus

If you can find a local store that carries both models, try holding them and see whether one fits your hand better than the other. Some people find the 76 is too large for their hands, others (like me :)) find it quite comfortable to hold. Since you mention gloved operation, bring your gloves along and do a touchy-feely test with them on.

My thought on card size is to not sweat it too much - you can buy a bigger card for either model later on if you find you need/want wider map coverage. Just for some price points, The GPS Store has a 128MB microSD card for $24.95, or a 512MB microSD card for $64.95. So if you really preferred the 60CSx, $30 will bring its storage up to par with the 76CSx.

If you can find a local store that carries both models, try holding them and see whether one fits your hand better than the other. Some people find the 76 is too large for their hands, others (like me :)) find it quite comfortable to hold. Since you mention gloved operation, bring your gloves along and do a touchy-feely test with them on.

My thought on card size is to not sweat it too much - you can buy a bigger card for either model later on if you find you need/want wider map coverage. Just for some price points, The GPS Store has a 128MB microSD card for $24.95, or a 512MB microSD card for $64.95. So if you really preferred the 60CSx, $30 will bring its storage up to par with the 76CSx.

You can get a 512MB micro SD card for a lot less than $64.95...

http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_getoffe...MB%20micro%20SD

I got mine for 29.99 with a $10 rebate.

Also be aware that the units do not come with maps. Maps are separate and an additional $100++ depending where you shop. Also that Garmin is in process of putting out the next version 8 of North America maps so you might want to wait until the map comes out and is available so your unit doesn't sit around mapless. You could buy current version 7 which is a year old but run the risk of having to pay extra $ to update it to the latest version if having the latest version is important to you.

Edited by Onit

I've had a 76C and now a 60CSx. The 76 was easier to operate one-handed and with gloves on. More room btwn the buttons and a more natural grip. I bought the 60 when I upgraded because I wanted a smaller overall size, belt clip, and a lanyard attachment that would hold the unit fairly upright (the 76's is on the bottom). And damnit, the 60 is nicer looking! There, I've said it.

GeoBC

Also that Garmin is in process of putting out the next version 8 of North America maps so you might want to wait until the map comes out and is available so your unit doesn't sit around mapless.

But don't wait too long. The $100 rebate ends July 9. As for button placement, I didn't think I would like the 76. I went to the store and messed with it for a few minutes and found that the buttons at the top were equally or maybe even more comfortable than having the buttons at the bottom on the 60.

Also that Garmin is in process of putting out the next version 8 of North America maps so you might want to wait until the map comes out and is available so your unit doesn't sit around mapless.

But don't wait too long. The $100 rebate ends July 9. As for button placement, I didn't think I would like the 76. I went to the store and messed with it for a few minutes and found that the buttons at the top were equally or maybe even more comfortable than having the buttons at the bottom on the 60.

I felt the same way but I saved about $200 by going with the 76csx. It didn't take long to get accustomed to the button placement, although I sometimes still grab it and start using it, only to realize it's upside down :lol:

I chose the 60CSx for the following reasons:

Button placement - I want to see the screen when I'm pushing buttons; not the top of my thumb.

Price - I can purchase a 128 meg card for less than the price difference between the 60 and 76.

Flotation (or lack of) - If I'm that careless around water where my dumb a** drops the GPSr, then maybe I deserve to lose it. In my 45+ years on this earth I've managed to keep my wallet, keys and cellular phone dry, unless it was in my pocket when I went in! :lol:

I'm looking to purchase either a Garmin 60Cx or 76Cx. From the Garmin product comparison page, these seem identical, except for the case. Are they? Any recommendations? I would use it for hiking and also mount on my motorcycle. It looks to me like the buttons on the 60Cx might be easier to operate with gloves on.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Echoing some other comments: don't sweat the memory card difference - cards are cheap, you can use whatever came with the unit as a backup or to store a different map set.

I like the look and ergonomics of the 60 series better - your mileage may vary.

As for floatation, with Lithium-ion batteries, the 60 *does* float!

Someone else on the forum, while boating, hangs a small floaty-keytag on the antenna hole at the top of their 60 in case it decides to go for a swim.

You can get a 1 gig card for $47 or $45 from NewEgg.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList....&Subcategory=68

Edited by lumpynose