Garmin Us Topo Map

I am thinking of getting the 76csx and mapping software... Can some tell me does the US Topo from Garmin also give detailed streets like the MapeSend Topo from Magellan see link

http://marbleorchards.com/DigiPics/Post/Map.jpg

I have a MeriPlat and MapSend Topo, I like the topo detail, and street names when I use it for traveling without needing another map program. Thanks.

I have US Topo. It does give detailed streets but all are named and it does not use them for auto routing. When you auto route it only uses the main highways.

The Topo shows the streets, but doesn't give the names of the minor streets and roads.

That is a very nice GPSr and it is capable of auto-routing. The City Select or City Navigator software might be a good investment for you. I got those maps in a combination package with the cigarette-lighter adapter and the beanbag automount for about $145.00.

Sometimes you can find the Garmin Topo maps on eBay for a lot less than their retail price.

I was considering buying Garmin US Topo untill the other day. I am a member of a search and rescue groop in northern Ca. I was on a search and thought how good it would have been to have topo on my gpsr, only to find out it does not show the Pacific Crest Trail??? As we were looking for a missing person along this major trail I find that Garmins Topo U.S.A would have been worthless to me. S.A.R 29

I was considering buying Garmin US Topo untill the other day. I am a member of a search and rescue groop in northern Ca. I was on a search and thought how good it would have been to have topo on my gpsr, only to find out it does not show the Pacific Crest Trail??? As we were looking for a missing person along this major trail I find that Garmins Topo U.S.A would have been worthless to me. S.A.R 29

For printed maps, the National Geographic ones are really nice, and I think they show the PCT. However, the only Topo maps you can put on a Garmin GPSr are the Mapsource Topos.

At least they give you contour lines and creeks and roads and for hiking, they are better than no maps at all on your GPSr.

Was it not there, or was it not labeled. For example, the Shafer trail in Utah, much smaller than the PCT, is not labeled, but I can find it, either because I know the road, or putting in the coordinates.

The garmin TOPO maps, like the USGS maps on which they are based, are only really reliable for natural features (contour lines and streams). Man-made features are often out of date. In New Hampshire they currently show the old location of a trail that was substantially relocated (trailhead moved several miles) in 1983 (the Osseo Trail up Mount Flume).

Best thing to do is to modify U.S. Topo maps yourself. You can't rely on Garmin because apparently it isn't a priority. Using Gpsmapedit, you can locate the map by opening the Topo100US(E,W,A,orH).tdb file. Once you think you've located it, right lick on the map segment and properties to identify the map by name. This will correspond to the name of the map selected in Mapsource by the map select tool.

Create a file in mapsource for your tracks.

Using the USTopo map, open it in GPSmapedit and save as an mp file. Use the add button to open (load) the file with your tracks, right click and convert these to polylines. Delete the old trails. Save, use GPSmapper to re-convert to an img file.

Using this theme, I created a modified USTopo map of Kingwood WV,MD (southeast) (05624019.img); however, I removed the original contours and created in increments of 20,100, and 500 ft. I added some stream data, and uploaded the file for sharing at http://mapcenter.cgpsmapper.com/. You'll see in in the West Virginia section.

I plan to do the same with a complete revision of the 1:24K Fletcher, VA map (features only, ie roads, trails, structures, etc.) Unfortunantly, I believe by modifying the routable map, it will lose it's routing capabilities, but I figure this will be much better than the present sorely outdated map.

Ciscohiker:

The easiest way to begin is to swap the file from the site with your existing file. Just rename your original with something like 05624019original.img and that's all that's to it.

The rest gets more complicated. You will need to run the cgpsmapper compiler which creates a registry pointer where you place your custom files and what you will be calling your custom mapset in mapsource. It also creates the tdb file. You need to edit the registry to point to the location of your custom maps. After doing that here's what you might want to do.

Start by opening a img file in gpsmapedit and saving it as an mp file. Add information or erase as you please and then save it again.

You need to convert it to an img file again. Go to the link http://home.cinci.rr.com/creek/garmin.htm

Skip all the steps down to "copy gpsmapper to the same folder as your mp file". Skip step 5 and go directly to "Uploading your custom map to Mapsource". Follow those steps and if successful, when you open Mapsource you will see you custom mapset in the product selections. Chose this and if all went well, you will see your map. Good luck!