Event Help

MREAGLEWO1

Hello fellow geocachers,

I know that this may be on the forums already but i didnt search since i am using an dinosaur computer. Well anyways, my question is that I am part of a orgization and they(well we) would like to host a geocaching event weekend here on our premises. There was one here about a year ago and we would like to do it again but host it ourselves. Can you give me some pointers on how to set up one.

I know it is pretty basic and planning an event but there is always a catch.

Some examples...how much time in advance should it be done

i know we need to set up geocaches or other various event for the day/weekend...

Thanks in advance.

To avoid negative reviewer feedback make sure you focus on geocachers getting together.

A lot of Events are planned as a type of second fiddle to some larger happening and that never goes over well. The use of events for cache hunt gatherings is also mentioned in the guidelines. So if you have a time and a place for geocachers to get together just list it on the website as a new cache and choose event cache as the type of cache.

From the guidelines

"Event caches should be submitted no less than two weeks prior to the date of the event, so that potential attendees will have sufficient notice to make their plans. Events are generally listed no more than three months prior to the date of the event, to avoid having the listing appear for a prolonged period of time on the nearest caches page and in the weekly e-mail notification of new caches."

Also from the guidelines

"Event caches are gatherings that are open to all geocachers and which are organized by geocachers."

A link to the event guidelines

An event can be as simple as getting people together for a potluck -- some of the best events I've hosted have been the most simple ones to plan.

Nametags, food and soft drinks, and a pleasant meeting spot are all that's really necessary. The food can be potluck stuff, grilled hot dogs, or just host the event at a pizza place where people can buy their own food. Make sure there will be enough room for everyone! You can list on the event page what you'd like people to bring, and ask them to post how many people will attend, so you'll have some idea of how many to expect. It's important that people can participate without having to pay an admission fee, so be sure you spell that out in the cache description.

Try to give lots of advance notice between the time you list the event and the actual date to allow people to keep the day open in their busy schedules. If you want to hide a cache or two, fine...but it's not necessary. The most fun is people getting together to visit, tell tall tales of geocaching success, and making new cachers feel welcome.

Well the type I plan on to hold, will be an overnighter with tent sites, cabins/leantos available. (for rental through the facility.)

As you said there should be a way of the particapants to attend without paying a admission fee. Would it be reasonable to do so to cover certain fees, suchas food, facility fees, and some of the stuff that may need to by. Reasonable price of 15 for an adult, 10 for child (14 and under).....etc.

Of course headcounts is the major planning as well as the advertising.

Some examples...how much time in advance should it be done

I think the max lead time is 3 months and minimum is 2 weeks. Of course the more notice you give, the better so people can plan.

i know we need to set up geocaches or other various event for the day/weekend...

You don't need to. While these temporary caches are fun, they are not a requirement.

Would it be reasonable to do so to cover certain fees, such as food, facility fees, and some of the stuff that may need to by. Reasonable price of 15 for an adult, 10 for child (14 and under)..

That is allowed. There is a fine line here. It can't be seen as a "comercial enterprise", but a reasonable fee to cover food and facility costs is allowed. Its all in the wording.

Just wondering... as stated by several people that the events must be posted no more than 3 months of the date....why are there severel events on the calendar for more than 3 months from now.

thanks.

where is the link on geocaching site that explains some of the infomation? i heard people talk about it but nothing i found yet.

Just wondering... as stated by several people that the events must be posted no more than 3 months of the date....why are there severel events on the calendar for more than 3 months from now.

thanks.

where is the link on geocaching site that explains some of the infomation? i heard people talk about it but nothing i found yet.

For certain regional events with very large attendence they will allow more lead time. Things like the Midwest Geobash, Geowoodstock, etc...

thanks.

Here is a link to the section of the listing guidelines specific to event caches. As noted above, and in the Guidelines, the three month lead time can be extended to six months for major national/regional events (current examples are the Midwest Geobash, and Fragglestock). Also, weekend-long events that necessitate reservations for camping, hotel, etc., will qualify for a longer lead time.