Newbie: What Should I Have Done ?

Being a newbie, i came across a situation I was unsure of what the "correct" action should have been. Last weekend, I visited a cache which held a geocoin and a regular TB. What I opted to do was to play it safe and just take the coin (as it was prettier :) ) and log it as a find. I ignored the TB and left it in the cache.

Would I have been entitled to also log the TB as a "discovered" (or perhaps a "find" too) ?

Could I have taken both and logged both as "finds" ?

I have read quite a bit about this within the forum, but failed to come across a definitive answer. Although a lot of the posts appeared to be from across the pond, I would like a local (UK) idea of what the etiquette is in this situation. Any advice/comments gratefully received.

The discovered it is more for coins, in my opinion. Taking the coin was fine I allways leave some swag even if taking the coin it just helps the cache from turning into a trash can. As for taking both that is really up to you some would say that taking both would be selfish but its really up to you sometimes we have taken both and sometimes one or none. The most important thing is that you log it correctly and help it move along according to its mission. Most of all have fun and go with you gut.

Edited by Team Jsam

Well, I'll get in first for a change!

regarding what you can take, that is entirely up to you! You chose to take the coin and leave the TB, and thats fine! Concerning logging, if you want to, you can log the TB as a discovered - if you have the TB Number! I wouldn't log it as a find, as you'll then have to drop it back - creating extra logs! Having said that, many people still do, and you won't get shot for it!

In short, take what you like, its up to you! As long as the TBs end up in the right place, and the ones you do pick up you move on, nobody will be upset!

Happy hunting!

Dave

edit - well I thought I was first!

Edited by purple_pineapple

If you're really after a definitive answer you'll be out of luck - there isn't one. All you'll get here is advice as there's no right or wrong in what you describe. Just so long as you logged that you removed the coin then you've done all you had to. Beyond that, if you want to log the TB as discovered you may - but I wouldn't. I don't need the TB icon and I didn't help it move or achieve a goal so there's no 'need' to log it at all. That's just my viewpoint though. :lol:

As for taking both items, that would have been fine. Leaving both would have been ok too... So long as you're not hindering or 'damaging' anything, it's cool.

Edited by Simply Paul

My personal view is you would have been in order to take both - so long as you placed them both in caches as soon as reasonably possible and within two weeks. The objects of most TRAVEL bugs is to travel and I put Geocoins in the same category. The only time when not to move is if the owner has specifically asked for them to be left or their target (if you can discover it) is one which by taking you would be hindering, e.g. a TB which wanted to go to America and was already in a TB Hotel near a major airport. :lol:

But really as has been said - it is up to you! :lol:

Oh yes - welcome to the game/sport/obsession and the forum - have fun! :lol:

Edited by John Stead

If it's not against the TB's/Coins mission Take 'em both!

Mission withstanding, we would have taken both, or if we couldn't comply with the mission we would have possibly "Discovered" (or what ever it's called) the coin.

But we usually have a TB with us, and would possibly have left a TB in the cache...

Is there really a right or wrong in this situation? (Hypothetical question!)

Hope you find more!

G

If it's not against the TB's/Coins mission Take 'em both!

Mission withstanding, we would have taken both, or if we couldn't comply with the mission we would have possibly "Discovered" (or what ever it's called) the coin.

But we usually have a TB with us, and would possibly have left a TB in the cache...

Is there really a right or wrong in this situation? (Hypothetical question!)

I agree with the above. Travel Bugs (a coin is really a travel bug too) are the property of the TB owner, not the cache owner. As they are generally meant to travel, there's nothing wrong in taking any or all - as long as you intend to move them fairly quickly. In fact, it's quite frustrating when someone finds a cache containing your bug and doesn't pick it up. Also, there's no obligation to place anything in the cache to make up for taking a bug.

IMO, it's good etiquette to log your action quickly when trackables are involved - people may go out of their way to find a good geocoin or pick up a particular TB, and may be disappointed if there's nothing in the cache.

HH

But...

If there were three or more TB's, we would definatly leave at least one, unless they had all been there for a very long time.

We once followed a cacher (just under an hour behind) around 5 popular caches in the same area, where 6 TB's were removed, with none being put back in.

Left us feeling rather Miffed at said cacher... <_<

G

But...

If there were three or more TB's, we would definatly leave at least one, unless they had all been there for a very long time.

We once followed a cacher (just under an hour behind) around 5 popular caches in the same area, where 6 TB's were removed, with none being put back in.

Left us feeling rather Miffed at said cacher... <_<

G

Did you let the cacher know that you were following? If not, why would he/she not pick up the bugs: they could have sat in the caches for weeks.

HH

Wow, plenty to think about here. Thanks to everyone for all these comments. Looks like the majority opinion is I should have taken the TB as well (or at least should have taken the number and "discovered" it). Never mind, I'm sure there will be plenty more in the future.

Funny someone has just mentioned in this thread that trackables should be logged quickly. I have just visited a chache this morning that the page reckons a TB was in residence. In actual fact, according to the log book and the logs on the cache page, the TB had been removed about a week earlier and still hadn't been updated that the TB had been taken. I have emailed the 'cacher in question. Is there anything else I should have done in this situation ?

the TB had been removed about a week earlier and still hadn't been updated that the TB had been taken. I have emailed the 'cacher in question. Is there anything else I should have done in this situation ?

Whilst TB's should be logged ASAP, if a cacher is on holiday it could be a week or two before the TB is logged - if the cacher hasn't got internet access.

they could have sat in the caches for weeks.

Popular caches, near largeish towns, bugs dropped within the last 10 days (2 dropped in 1 cache, 2 days before we cached) and all caches visited at least within 2 weeks -on a regular basis...

Not angry, just a bit "miffed". :laughing:

G

Whilst TB's should be logged ASAP, if a cacher is on holiday it could be a week or two before the TB is logged - if the cacher hasn't got internet access.

I had thought about this, the cacher was local and he had already logged his visit, saying that he had taken the TB but hadn't logged the find of the TB. So he did have access to the internet to log the cache find.

In all fairness it could simply have been an oversight on his part. Having said that, there had been several disappointed visitors to the cache since his visit, according to the comments left in the log book.

Edited by F1rst_Timer