Creative Geocaching

Maybe it's just me, but I'm more intrigued if a geocache hunt makes you think or entertains you more than just finding a specific coordinate and you're done.

For example, in the Kansas City area geocachers Steve & Mary Brown took a Monopoly spin on geocaching. There are 27 caches to find each representing a deed on the Monopoly board. Even the cache location has a nearby reference to a Monopoly space (i.e. street signs). Once you find all 27 title deeds, you're then given coordinates to a GRAND final cache.

Things like this make geocaching more of a game and more entertaining.

What are some puzzles or games you've seen with geocaching that you've had the most fun with?

Make it appear to be something then when they find the cache have somthing extra for them to do or find to complete. I have a cache called true dedication and its listed as a micro but when you get there you find a note stating that you found it..... well almost and coords to a regular cache. The micro is placed in a spot that a micro has no business being because you can easly hide a regular.

I tend to go after caches that provide something unique (or somewhat unique) about them, esp. clever hides, interesting puzzles, historic locations, or thematic or story-based multi-caches.

For hides, Seattle has some great ones. There are excellent camo jobs, magnetic-sign micros, plain sight hides, and the whole Totally Tubular series by Dayspring. Many of these are micros, but very, very creative micros. And the waypoints of the multis are sometimes fantastic! Many people bash micros, but the creative possibilities for micros are (almost) limitless.

For thematic caches, I've enjoyed working out the concept and waypoints for my Contraband Cache.

The creativity of geocachers knows no bounds, and cachers will keep on being creative as long as we give them kudos for it.

Team Maccabee

The "The Triwizard Tournament" was fun, but you need lots of gas to get around to all the locations. It is best done in stages when you find yourself in the area of all the intermediate stages.

"Snakes and Ladders" is an incredible, multi-stage, very-creative cache that takes you around and around a park.

Look at how many people are "watching" those caches. :lol:

I also like the ones in unusual containers. The first 35mm film canister I found inside a toy alligator was very fun. I recently placed a bison tube inside a very real-looking tarantula. :lol:

I have a cache based on the game cluedo (clue in th US). This is played on a board of approximately 3 miles x 3 miles (in a forest). The board is divided into 9 rooms with co-ordinates named after weapons and suspects. The player has to visit public call boxes surrounding the forest and each allows some of the possible hiding co-ordinates to be eliminated. Some players choose to reduce the number of possibles to a manageable size and then hit the forest, others eliminate all the red herrings and walk straight to the cache.

While the definition of "creative" is certainly subjective, I suspect that my definition agrees with the OP's.

One that I really enjoyed is One In A Million (GCTCZA). While I won't give it away here, I think that you'll get the general idea by reading the logs.

We have one cacher here that placed a wonderful series of caches, one for each letter of the alphabet, plus a final puzzle cache that must be solved by collecting a word that is inside of each of the previous caches:

Alphabet Soup Series

still have a long way to go on kcopoly, but generally my favorite locations have involved cool locations, great containers (bird house, feeder, log, stump, fake electric boxes, fake telephone boxes, etc), or a nice hike off into the woods with a container at a nice spot/view/stream/cave/natural oddity. My favorite find is still A View for Jess. Touching story, in the ozark forest, nice hike, some climbing, great view, but it was only a can in the woods. It was the whole package that made it great for me.

For those of you that like cool locations. Father's Day Fun in Arkansas is on an island that is on a very large lake. It seldom gets logged and is only accessible by boat, canoe, kayak or for the physical fit, swim. Island is 2 miles off main lake shore.