Pocket Pc Software

I'm using a Bluetooth GPS and my Pocket PC (O2 XDA Exec - aka iMate Jasjar or HTC Universal) for my 'caching, and after playing around with a few bits of software I'm wondering what's the best Pocket PC software specifically for Geocaching?

check out beelinegps at http://www.visualgps.net/BeeLineGPS/ you get a 30 day trial. I use it with my x51v and BT GPSr. the software does everything I need. You can import loc/gpx files project waypoints etc etc. Ive tried out several different PDA geocaching software and none have come close to the ease of use and feature set that beelinegps offers.

hope that helps

I'm using a Bluetooth GPS and my Pocket PC (O2 XDA Exec - aka iMate Jasjar or HTC Universal) for my 'caching, and after playing around with a few bits of software I'm wondering what's the best Pocket PC software specifically for Geocaching?

If you're after 'Moving Map' type software, check out PathAway V4 for PocketPC at www.pathaway.com there's a 15 day demo.

I'll toss in my vote for BeeLineGPS as well. I've tried just about all and the only two that have navigation as well as paperless info is BeeLineGPS and Cachemate (with Cachenav plug-in). The navigation part of BeeLineGPS is much more of a feature of that product than the simple add-in for Cachemate.

-al

I tested all the ones mentioned above a while back and they all have good points & bad points. The best one I found during my trials hasn't been mentioned yet - GPS Dash v2.58 (www.gpsdash.com). At $27.60 it's cheaper than Beeline ($30) and in my opinion in a different league. Navio ($24.95) is also worth a mention (http://www.tinystocks.com/gps.html) but is somewhere just below GPS Dash, on a par with Pathaway v4 ($59.95).

Edited by melmur

But when you go caching with Beeline, you also have to use a paper map whilst looking at this...

ScreenHunt.gif

Whilst with GPS Dash, I need no paper maps and see this...

screenshot.gif

The choice is yours I suppose. The image lost some detail when compressed, but I can assure you it's a lot clearer on the device. The cyan line is my track to another Cache a few hundred metres N of the ones seen here.

For the original poster, there's loads more info on most stuff discussed here:

http://www.gpsinformation.org/dale/PocketPC/wince.htm

Out of the different geocaching software that I've tried, BeeLine's the one I bought and then stopped trying more. I don't know if it's the best but it's the best I'd tried.

There is no mapping but for this I also run MapSource and just bounce between the programs. There is one major problem with this and that is that I still need to log in all the coordinates on MapSource so that I can drive to them :laughing:

I use Tomtom navigator to direct me to the general area and car park.

Then GPSonar to read the cache notes and clues etc. when I'm parked.

Then VITO Navigator II to get my hand on the cache.

I have a GSAK macro which exports waypoints for tomtom, then VITO, then GPSonar all in one hit making it a tidy process.

Tomtom is kind of cool to drive around a neighbourhood or area and get to the nearest caches fast. I logged 35 caches in a day using this method just recently.

I tried Beeline, but I couldn't get the icons to work properly or work out how to read the full cache notes after importing the .gpx file. I like the colourful look of VITO Navigator II and the cool arrow it has to follow.

What about the Garmin iQue software for PDAs? Any opinions on good or bad? One advantage of using Garmin is if you already have purchased Garmin's map discs for your hand held GPSr. In theory, all you'd then have to have is the PDA, bluetooth GPSr and the iQue software and then just load up the map data you've already purchased.

Any thoughts on GPStuner? It seems to have features of BeeLine and maps.

I'm looking into this stuff too now. GPS Tuner apparently won the 2005 award (BeelineGPS was also a contender), but from what I can see.. GPS Tuner itself doesn't store the cache page info, like the description hints etc.. umm, or does it?

I've never got GPS Tuner to import waypoints properly, so I have stuck with GPS Dash. I also prefer the way Dash chops the map up so you can use much larger images.

I still keep Tuner installed though as it does averaging which is missing from the current release of dash.

For storing cache info, Cachemate takes some beating. They just need to either merge with a mapping app developer, or write a decent one themselves.

Edited by melmur