Travel Bug

skeeter7

Here's another possibility. The bug could possability be in the correct cache and not showing because that person has not logged the cache yet. I know i have found bugs in caches where they were showing in other caches only to see a week later that a cacher had logged the cache and the bug finally.

Greg

If you left it there, I'd say to post a note on the bug page (you don't need to grab it), and something on the cache page in your log, but don't mess with the position. It may very well have something to do with someone being on vacation and just not having a chance to log the bug yet.

If you are overly concerned, the log on the bug page will inform the owner, and they can take any action they want.

Consider it from the other side of the equation if you were the person traveling and moving the bug:

Let's say you were biking for a two week stint and had some travel bugs to move and log. You move the bugs into the right caches, but you won't be at a good location to log the caches or bugs for at least 3 or 4 days. When you get back to the hotel or your home, and log on, you find that some has grabbed the bug from your possesion and logged it into the cache that you left it.

Ick

:laughing: What do i do when the web page says there are no travel bugs in the cache, but yet there was one? Do I log the bug number, even though I am not removing it from the box? If so, how do i do that?

You could do a "discovered" log to show you saw it (though I don't know if it has to be in THAT cache to do it - I havn't used this log type) after looking up the bug by the tag number.

You could do some sleuthing through the cache's logs and see if someone mentioned leaving the bug. There are plenty of folks out there that don't know that they need to log the bug's travels separately so they just mention in their log that they dropped it.

If you find such a log entry, or if you happened to see in the log in the cache when the bug was dropped and by whom, you could info the bug owner or email the person who dropped it to ask them to log it correctly. If not, then you'll have to rely on your best judgement.

I found a bug in a cache in Singapore. It was reading it was still in the states. I put on the log that if no one puts it in the cache, I will log it in/out in about a week. It traveled that far, it might was well count for something.

Do what you think is best/right. The owner can always delete your logs if they dont like it :laughing:.

If you did not move it I would let it be.

This is a situation where there that is not the way to go. The bug is missing if it's logged into the wrong cache or not logged in the cache it's actually in, and in this case, you would grab the TB from its last known location and log it into the cache you found it in with an explanation on your log, so the owner will know where it is and things get straightened out, even if you are not moving the bug. First I would check past logs to see if there is any mention of it being dropped off, email that person and remind them to log it. And as I look at these logs, I see that someone logged the same day as you did and they logged bugs.

Remember, most people leave their computers at home when they go caching. They log when they get home. And it was a long holiday weekend, so we need to give people time. Check the person's log who went the same day as you and see if that's the bug you are talking about.

Edited by Eartha