Difference Between 60c And 76c

The 76 float while the 60 sink. Not a big deal if you dont use it in a boat. For me that was a huge selling point. The 76 also has tide charts while the 60 doesnt. Not a big deal for me but might be for some.

ajmrozin

All I can tell from the specs is that the 76c has twice the memory and is a little bigger. With the $100 rebate the prices are about the same. What other differences are there?

The shape . . . The 76c is more square, perhaps space added to make it float. The 60c is rounder and might fit in your hand better. However, it has the antenna that sticks up.

The button placement is also different. The 76C has the buttons above the display.

If you could get to a store, like REI, that carries all the different models, you might see which one you like better by holding it.

For me, the smaller eTrex Vista C was my choice. :laughing:

There are 5 differences.

1. The 76 is larger

2. The 76 has twice the memory

3. The 76 has its keys above the screen

4. The 76 has a better base map (13MB vs. 8MB)

5. The 76 floats

If you are talking about the x units, then the memory is irrelevant, since you can easily swap out the micro SD cards with any size you like. I'm pretty sure the x units both have the same base map.

In real life, most people buy city select and/or topo maps, so the base map difference doesn't matter. Tide info can be loaded onto the 60CS, so its absence isnt really an issue. The 76 floats, while the 60C is neutrally buoyant. With Lithium batteries, the 60C floats too.

So for most people, it comes down to memory size and form factor. The 70 is like a large graphing calculator. The 60 is like a Russet potato.

New high-sensitivity WAAS-capable GPS receiver by SiRF

Built-in quad-helix receiving antenna with remote antenna capability

Unit dimensions: 2.7” W x 6.2” H x 1.4” D

Display: 1.5” W x 2.2” H, 2.6”-diagonal, 256-color, transflective TFT (160 x 240 pixels)

Supports English, Spanish, Portugese, and French languages.

Weight: 7.6 ounces with batteries (not included)

microSD card slot allows for storage of optional MapSource detail (128 MB microSD included)

LED backlit display and keypad

Battery life: 18 hours (typical use) using two AA alkaline batteries

Includes a built-in Americas autoroute basemap with automatic routing capabilities, including highways, exits, and tide data (USA only)

Internal memory is preloaded with a marine point database

1,000 user waypoints with name and graphic symbol; 50 reversible routes

Position formats include Lat/Lon, UTM, Loran TDs, Maidenhead, MGRS, user grid, and more

Audible alarms for anchor drag, arrival, off-course, proximity waypoint, and clock

Large-numbers option for easy viewing; dual-position display mode

Trip computer provides odometer, stopped time, moving average, overall average, total time, max speed, and more

10,000-point automatic track log; 20 saved tracks (500 points each) let you retrace your path in both directions

Navigation instructions can be shared with repeaters, plotters, and autopilots using NMEA protocols through the dedicated serial port.

Built-in celestial tables for sun and moon calculations and the best times to fish and hunt

Compatible with most MapSource products. See the MapSource Compatibility table (top right) for a list of software that Garmin recommends with this product.

Water resistant: IEC 60529 IPX7 standards

Unit floats when dropped in the water.

Yep... it floats! Be sure and get the X if you want the expandable memory.

The only difference between the two unit is:

> The 76 comes with a 128M card, they 60 comes witha 64M card

> The 76 floats

> The case & button layout

Other than that they are exactly identical. Same screen size, same tide charts, same base map, same hunting/fishing claendar, etc. They have the same software. Basically someone at Gamin finally realized they could have a great cost reduction program by making the insides identical.....what a concept ;)

I did a lot of research on these (a lot of good info at ww.gpspassion.com) two models and decided on the 60Csx just because I liked the form factor better. The memory was not a big of an issue since I will be replacing the card anyway witha 1G card which will hold most of the US (City Navigator) for routing and POI stuff.

Jeff