The All New Groundspeak Uk Pub Quiz!

Going to go out and sight-see a very wet Amsterdam now... If you answer and you know you're correct, please feels free to put up a question.

We'll check in again later on this evening (if we don't get too carried away by the delights of this city :D )

The Blorenges

Edited by The Blorenges

Alexander Graham Bell invented the telephone....

....but what was his profession?

Well he was a music and elocution trainee teacher at a High School in Elgin, Morayshire, but I think this was a "gap year" post while he was deciding what to do after he left school.; see doing research for caches so you can write all that waffle does have its uses. Oh, shhh, forget I said that as we don't want Lacto to know I'm planning caches in Morayshire :D

WAHAY! :D

Ok,

What is hippopotomonstrosesquippedialiophobia?

( I hope I spelt that right )

Sarah

Now, I've posted a question, I'll stop interupting the flow.

/me leaves to check veracity in the dictionary!! :o

Edited by The Morgan Mob

I believe that it is a fear of long words...

Looks like Matt's got it :P

I would have got it if I'd been here sooner.......I posted that word in an Off Topic thread :D:D:D

Edit:-

I Must Refresh More Often

:):):grin:

Edited by Nediam

I've googled and the answer does appear to be Rhubarb. While we're waiting for confirmation here's another question. <_<

Who was the first Englishman to summit all of the world's 8000 metre peaks?

(14 in total)

Was it that bloke they named a battery after, Mallory? :unsure:

Ping!

It's actually Alan Hinkes :unsure: but I can see you're thinking of the right person. :ph34r:

Must be his brother :unsure::unsure::anicute:

Everyone knows that the answer to Life, The Universe, and Everything is 42 - but what was the question?

(I know there were several - we'll have the one extracted from Arthur Dent using Scrabble)

Everyone knows that the answer to Life, The Universe, and Everything is 42 - but what was the question?

(I know there were several - we'll have the one extracted from Arthur Dent using Scrabble)

WHAT DO YOU GET IF YOU MULTIPLY SIX BY NINE?

That's a DING in all the diodes down your left side :anicute:

This is a fun one, (and very easy) if you can't work out the answer, ask a kid, bet they will know. :anicute:

Imagine you are driving a bus. When you start your trip there are an old lady named Johnson and a long-haired kid on the bus. At the first stop the lady leaves and a businessman enters. At the next stop Frankie, a young boy, enters with his little sister. Then three old ladies who have been shopping in the mall get on. After a short trip the long-haired kid leaves the bus and a man and lady enter. Paul with his dog Blue gets on, while Frankie and his sister get off, and, finally, the bus arrives at the bus station. What is the name of the bus driver?

What an eerie coincidence! One of a neighbour's horses has a problem with navicular bones and I was hearing about it just this afternoon. I'd never hard of the things before today.

It's a hoof thing. It's called navicular because it's sort of boat-shaped.

Amazing that I should learn something new and find a use for an otherwise obscure piece of information within just a couple of hours!

Am I right?

If so, my question is this:

When military tanks (tracked armoured vehicles) were invented, they were actually developed by the Admiralty, not the Army. Their Lordships of the Admiralty insisted on calling them LandShips.

Why were/are tanks subsequently called "tanks"?

You are correct Forester - humans have navicular bones in their hands and feet too. :anicute:

Tanks were called tanks as a cover story- something to do with the rivets and water tanks I believe... :unsure:

Edit to add: Yes, the workers who built them were led to believe they were building tracked water carriers.

Edited by The Golem

What an eerie coincidence! One of a neighbour's horses has a problem with navicular bones and I was hearing about it just this afternoon. I'd never hard of the things before today.

It's a hoof thing. It's called navicular because it's sort of boat-shaped.

Amazing that I should learn something new and find a use for an otherwise obscure piece of information within just a couple of hours!

Am I right?

If so, my question is this:

When military tanks (tracked armoured vehicles) were invented, they were actually developed by the Admiralty, not the Army. Their Lordships of the Admiralty insisted on calling them LandShips.

Why were/are tanks subsequently called "tanks"?

I don't think horses have a naviscular bone as such, just a naviscular area, so not sure you get to aske the next question.

That said, if there are any horse Doctors out there, feel free to correct me. :anicute:

Spot on with the tank answer, Golem. It always surprises me that 90 years later we are still using the cover name for the buggers. You'd think Jerry would have cottoned on by now!

As for humans have navicular bones, I'm ashamed to say that I ought to have known that from my Ship Captain's Medical Course. They made us learn the name of every bone in the body. I don't remember having heard that name before. I can't even think of a boat-shaped bone in the the wrist or foot.

A horse's hoof is a funny sort of structure because the are basically designed to enable the beast walk on the tips of single fingers/toes. Very cleverly designed creatures, horses -- physically at least. Intellectually they're not very well endowed though. Very dim-witted: somewhere between the intelligence of a sheep and a goat.