The All New Groundspeak Uk Pub Quiz!

How about one big clue? B)

I would have thought that the 1:100 hint plus the second linked page would be the largest clue there is, after all its mentioned every year. But if you insist then Fence #7. Oh and here's another: it's not Arkle though they both come from the same stable. So as long as as you are a hill walker with a knowledge of steeplechasing you're onto a winner, or you would have been 39 years ago. B) Enough big hints now! B)

Here's a mathematical one for all those who are good at ratios (1:100 for instance). Can you solve this equation:

:P 15 hours with no response so here's two little clues. :D

How about one big clue? <_<

I would have thought that the 1:100 hint plus the second linked page would be the largest clue there is, after all its mentioned every year. But if you insist then Fence #7. Oh and here's another: it's not Arkle though they both come from the same stable. So as long as as you are a hill walker with a knowledge of steeplechasing you're onto a winner, or you would have been 39 years ago. :D Enough big hints now! :D

:D 24 hours on and still no one has been able to link a Victorian knighted hillwalker, a steeplechaser, the need for an extra 1, despite giving the links to www.aintree.co.uk and www.peaks.org.uk and the famous Fence #7, that and the 100 to 1 ratio, must be the heat that's made everyone so sleepy.

:) You don't have to be the Dutchess of Westminster to get this one, though if you wanted to own either of these identically named objects (one a very large lump of Pre-Cambrian Quartzite and the other an Irish Steeplechaser) it might help. As to the kilted gent, well any outdoors person with a love of ticking things off lists can answer that one. Plus if it helps here's another mathimatical clue:

quiz2.jpg

The Horse Foinaven won 1967 Grand National at 100/1 in 1967 the gent Sir Hugh Thomas Munro.

Foinaven or Ganu Mor was orginally classed as a munro but in 1990 OS confirmed the height as 914 metres making it just short of a munro.

Edited by snaik

The Horse Foinaven won 1967 Grand National at 100/1 in 1967 the gent Sir Hugh Thomas Munro.

Foinaven or Ganu Mor was orginally classed as a munro but in 1990 OS confirmed the height as 914 metres making it just short of a munro.

DING!!! Here's too us , fae's like us, damned few an' they're awe deed! :anitongue::ph34r::D

Over to you Snaik

Oh Dear,

I answered the question, then I looked at the start of the thread to see 'how to play', and I've just realised that I broke rule 1, so, please accept my humble apologies, and I'll forfeit my turn to ask a question, so, I think it should be back to you Team Clover for another question.

OK - another question!!

what can Porsche not do in Scotland??

Given that sex is what folk from Edinburgh keep their coal in, the answer is bound to be something like - a porsche neither keeps out drafts nor stops the Hon Man knocking on your front door. :)

Mind you only porsche folk have front porsches because who in their right mind is going to knock on the front door when the back door is always open if you're coming round for a blether!

OK - another question!!

get caught by a speed camera....quote from: j.clarkson.

"Go. It’d be worth it because I now reckon the best view of the world would be Scotland, seen through the windscreen of this remarkable new car. And there’s no need to be distracted by the ceaseless flashing of the speed cameras in your rear-view mirror because if you’re going fast enough you’ll be out of the frame before the image can be stored.

The speed you need to be going to do this is 178mph. Conveniently, the speed you can achieve in a new 911 is 182."

B.

OK - another question!!

"Go. It’d be worth it because I now reckon the best view of the world would be Scotland, seen through the windscreen of this remarkable new car. And there’s no need to be distracted by the ceaseless flashing of the speed cameras in your rear-view mirror because if you’re going fast enough you’ll be out of the frame before the image can be stored.

The speed you need to be going to do this is 178mph. Conveniently, the speed you can achieve in a new 911 is 182."

B.

Nope - but interesting theory- will try it if I win the lottery this week!

OK - another question!!

B.

Nope - but interesting theory- will try it if I win the lottery this week!

Speed?? You TC?? Never!! :)

Advertise....? its something to do with advertising.

Close...

But why??

Because she dressed up in drag and set 3 puzzle caches to attract her boyfriend ... lead;silver ; and gold and all the cachers were furious cause they hated puzzle caches and ....

hang on ...oops wrong plot... that was Portia...

I imagine that if the top speed is more than X times the speed limit, you can't advertise it, because it might encourage people to break the speed limit. After all, until cars were available that could do 150mph, nobody in Scotland ever drove too fast. QED.

In the midst of planning a trip around Scotland when I got side tracked by a memory of Gullane and North Berwick so went Googling trying to track down the specifics. Half an hour latter while reading an article about the coat of arms of the Royal Burgh of North Berwick I discovered the answer.

So in the knowledge that I will only be enforcing the rule of the Lord Lyon King of Arms I'm off to find a large flat head screw driver and will be positioning myself at Carter Bar to make sure that any Porsches trying to enter Scotland do so in full compliance with Scots Law. Mind you having once overtaken a 911 in a Renault 4 van travelling up the Julier Pass out of St Moritz in February I wouldn't advise them to take the A68 anyway, especially if there is any dampness on the road! <_<:ph34r::P

Well done!!! Closeish enough!!

Althought Lord Lyon has given a concession that it would be impractical to remove all car badges, as it is illegal to display a coat of arms in Scotland without his permission. Porsche dealerships and advertising material are not allowed to display their logo as permission was not sought first.

Guess the moral is - Dont get on the wrong side of Lord Lyon

It's a benthic versus pelagic thing.

Smokies are made from deep-swimming haddock; kippers are made from shallow-swimming herring.

Haddock are "white" fish; herring are oily fish.

What about the red herring B) - are we being led in the wrong direction :laughing:

civilised

The Rolls-Royce Merlin engine has a wooden component which is made of the hardest hardwood .

What is the name of the tree/wood that the component is made of?

Lignum Vite :laughing:

B.

edit: to correct spelling

Edited by bobuk

OK, I hope to give a faster turnaround with answers than last time.

Which word, which is a palindrome, describes an object which is also (as it were) a palindrome?

(There may be more than one solution - I have one in mind but if anyone comes up with another I will consider it sympathetically!)

OK, I hope to give a faster turnaround :laughing: with answers than last time.

Which word, which is a palindrome, describes an object which is also (as it were) a palindrome?

(There may be more than one solution - I have one in mind but if anyone comes up with another I will consider it sympathetically!)

Rotor? - They go round... :laughing:

Halalah.

It's a hundredth of a Saudi Riyal and is symmetrical in two axes.

Ah, but is it a palindrome when written in Arabic?

Clue: the item you're looking for is a lot bigger than a coin.

Redivider is the longest single-word palindrome in the English language. Bonus point? And then there's always 'a man a plan a canal panama'...

Utterly fascinating. Take ten bonus points, and a subscription to http://www.palindromelist.com (there are some fairly X-rated ones on there, BTW). But no cigar.

What about the redder rotavator - its its more red and it rotavates? :P

Now you're being silly. :anibad:

OK, time for a hint: the palindrome would score 16 at Scrabble... but you'd need two sets of tiles.

So its not aa then which is both a noun for a type of basalt and an adjective describing sharp surfaced lava flows. Watch your bare feet on the aa, and, you are best to wear boots when walking on that lava flow because of its aa texture? :laughing:

{a but of course you could ask "a man a plan aa aa Alan panama?" - what does that score? :wink:}

Edited by Jango & Boba Fett

OK, time for a hint: the palindrome would score 16 at Scrabble... but you'd need two sets of tiles.

So its not aa then which is both a noun for a type of basalt and an adjective describing sharp surfaced lava flows. Watch your bare feet on the aa, and, you are best to wear boots when walking on that lava flow because of its aa texture? :laughing:

{a but of course you could ask "a man a plan aa aa Alan panama?" - what does that score? :wink:}

He he, "ah-ah" is German for poo :laughing:

Back to the quiz... I seem to have occupied the crease for about two days now! Do y'all give up, or shall I give a bigger clue?