The All New Groundspeak Uk Pub Quiz!

That will teach me to post facetious replies. So sticking with our recent musical theme, my question is:

Abroath's most famous son popularised the cornkister "The Muckin' o' Geordie's Byre", however this superficially bawdy and humours tale hides a darker side. Explain briefly what the song is really about.

:laughing::laughing:;) {Sorry but Team Clova, experts on 1819 and all Mancunian's have a head start on this one} :(:blink::blink:

Edited by Jango & Boba Fett

Abroath's most famous son popularised the cornkister "The Muckin' o' Geordie's Byre", however this superficially bawdy and humours tale hides a darker side. Explain briefly what the song is really about.

:ph34r: Not enough hints yet, I would have thought this popular ballad of errant farmer George unable to control his wayward offspring, farm going to rack & ruin, farm animals forced to sort out the mess - that and the Mancunian 1819 hint would be enough, but maybe this might spark some ideas:

styleimage,19615,en.jpg

It has been suggested that I may be able to answer this one, but to be honest I don’t think I can. I believe the song is one from the early 1800 that was essentially political satire and helped to bring about a certain about of political reform. This was is Scotland and not England though, so I probably have it wrong.

:ph34r: My mistake for thinking some quite blatent Georgian political satire might be more accessible than 70s prog rock. Is there anyone out there who watched Blackadder Series 3 and would like to answer this one. :(

I did not like Blackadder 3 much, 2nd and goes forth were the ones I really enjoyed. :( So now we needs a cunning plan....

It's all about cleaning out the cowshed :( by Robbie Burns?

Nope The Bard wrote a maudling lament (normaly he can be depended on to give the unexpurgated versions) which sanitised the political content, although Jean Redpath does sing a fine version; but go on and explain what Rabbie managed to hide in all that love lorn schmaltz. I'd try Willie Kemp's version which is much plainer speaking and on which Andy Stewart based his version (it was the B side to Scottish Soldier).

The coothie Scottish bit is just a distraction really, this is a British popular ballad. It just happens that a Scottish dialect version is still sung. Lets try an even bigger hint - what famous BRITISH person called George liked farming as a hobby, had badly behaved children (particularly the sons), lived in a time of popular unrest which culminated in a set of events that took place in Manchester in August 1819 - is that strong enough a hint? :ph34r::(

George the IV, who wasn't mad but did spend money like it was going out of fashion. AKA Farmer George?

Good enough for me, though George IV was the unruly son, the American War and unrest in GB & Ireland were the rebelling cattle & pigs, Caroline was of course the wife and the Peterloo Massacre on St Peter's Field manchester makes it in there at the end (although strangely both Rabbie Burns and Andy Stewart left it out). Must say my favourite part in the Arbroath Chanter's version is his translation of

"siccan a sous was aebody in,

five mile awa you could hear the din,

even the vera coo hid tae grin,

at the muckin o Geordie's byre"

Which becomes:

"Such a stramash was there to see,

Five miles away you could hear the melee,

Even the domesticated animals were consumed with glee,

At the cleansing of George's cow shed"

DING!!! over to you Paul

Well done John, yes! She directs... art movies. I *have* to know, for professional reasons - what's your excuse? :(:huh::(

Your question buddy.

I've got a friend who used to work in that....particular art....industry!! :laughing::) :)

Right then.....

What is Groom Lake in Nevada better known as?

Cheers!

Seasider

Well done John, yes! She directs... art movies. I *have* to know, for professional reasons - what's your excuse? :( :( :(

Your question buddy.

I've got a friend who used to work in that....particular art....industry!! :laughing::):huh:

Right then.....

What is Groom Lake in Nevada better known as?

Cheers!

Seasider

Area 51 :)